• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2012 GS ZZP dp

Jlm85

Buick Newbie
Michigan
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
So. I bought this freedom flyer from carmax a couple years ago. Never had a turbo car in my life, so I didn't know what to expect. From the dealership I heard just a faint but present turbo noise. Sounded actually pretty good. I was thrilled. Reminder: I had no idea what to really listen for, or anything. Whoever thought to do this was an evil genius. So my turbo starts getting louder, like poopy exhaust loud. I'm like, wtf... I just bought this thinking I'm finally getting a car I don't have to repair every week. I take the heat shield off and the downpipe/cat is cut the whole way around, with insulation stuffed between where the 2 cut parts meet. Thought maybe they tried stabbing the honeycomb outta the cat, but there were like angle grinder slashes all over the flange. Looked like someone tried ripping this cat off for a measly Franklin. So I threw the ZZP downpipe on and found out my exhaust sound is coming from the hot side of the turbo. I think she's cooked. But man does this thing rip! I need a tune next. It's getting there, slowly. I love this car, and despise carmax. (Never, never, never again!)

pkgmsu2000

Contributing Member
Denver, CO
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
Carmax does have a pretty good return policy right? A tune is a must-have for any modified exhaust parts like a DP. If you keep the DP address the intake too. You don’t want uneven airflow in and out of the engine and thats again where a good tune comes in to maximize performance and efficiencies...

Jlm85

Buick Newbie
Michigan
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Carmax does have a pretty good return policy right? A tune is a must-have for any modified exhaust parts like a DP. If you keep the DP address the intake too. You don’t want uneven airflow in and out of the engine and thats again where a good tune comes in to maximize performance and efficiencies...
They do have a return policy. I think it was 30 days? I'm not too sure, might be less. It didn't start getting loud til like a year later. But yeah, drop in K&N or the GMPP intake is in the works, as well as the trifecta tune.

pkgmsu2000

Contributing Member
Denver, CO
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
They do have a return policy. I think it was 30 days? I'm not too sure, might be less. It didn't start getting loud til like a year later. But yeah, drop in K&N or the GMPP intake is in the works, as well as the trifecta tune.
Be sure to get a handheld custom tune that directly works with YOUR specific mods. Don’t go for the “canned” tune written for someone else’s shop car. The handheld will be about double the cost but much better results and optimized performance. Have fun!!!

TRIFECTA

Contributing Member
Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
We offer tuning for specific mods under our Elite tier via datalogging and tune revision etc :)

An aftermarket downpipe like this, is probably the best mod you can do for power, other than a turbo upgrade and a tune. We usually see an additional 20HP or so over our advertised numbers for a stock vehicle. Great mod!

pkgmsu2000

Contributing Member
Denver, CO
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
We offer tuning for specific mods under our Elite tier via datalogging and tune revision etc :)

An aftermarket downpipe like this, is probably the best mod you can do for power, other than a turbo upgrade and a tune. We usually see an additional 20HP or so over our advertised numbers for a stock vehicle. Great mod!

[/URL]
I agree with you 100% about the DP being one of best bang for buck when paired with a tune, but for some... the increased loudness of an aftermarket DP can be too much. I just caution those looking at DP’s to get a sense of how much more loud the exhaust will be before pulling the trigger.

Jlm85

Buick Newbie
Michigan
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
I love the sound of the downpipe! I live in Michigan so I went with catless. My turbo to exhaust manifold gasket is toast so I'm gonna replace that before getting the Trifecta tune. Pretty excited for this summer!

Jlm85

Buick Newbie
Michigan
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Is there a custom manifold you can go with to open up the airways more than stock? You would need a custom tune to take advantage
I'm sure there is. I'm not trying to dump a bunch of money in it til I out right own it! My stock cat/downpipe was cut all the way around it like someone was tying to steal it. So I replaced that. Found that my turbo to exhaust manifold gasket is bad, so that'll be the next purchase. Maybe a turbo rebuild too. I got blow by for sure. Right now it sounds like a pissed off tractor when cold starting. Kinda embarrassing for such a nice car.

pkgmsu2000

Contributing Member
Denver, CO
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
I'm sure there is. I'm not trying to dump a bunch of money in it til I out right own it! My stock cat/downpipe was cut all the way around it like someone was tying to steal it. So I replaced that. Found that my turbo to exhaust manifold gasket is bad, so that'll be the next purchase. Maybe a turbo rebuild too. I got blow by for sure. Right now it sounds like a pissed off tractor when cold starting. Kinda embarrassing for such a nice car.
Own it? I;d like to see that video if you posted one...