2012 - The chrome trim around my cup holder area is rippling

mmadden2

Northern VA
Buick Ownership
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
Hey everyone,
The chrome trim around my cup holder area began rippling a year or so ago. It's a thin layer which seems destined to break loose and become ugly at some point. It's happening pretty much around the entire chrome perimeter. When I run my finger over top of it, it makes a crinkling sound. Anyone have ideas on how to replace it? Or maybe it would look ok just peeled off? Or substituted with something else?
Thanks,
Marc

douger

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick LaCrosse Touring
If you're talking about the cup holder right in front of the center console armrest, it comes as an assembly, including the door. It comes in colors, so I won't give part numbers, but the price is about $125.

mz-formula

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have done this on my 2010, which is the same as the 2013. My chrome was peeling and razor sharp, so it was a fix it .. or remove all the chrome for me. Essentially, the whole console must come out, and the screws to hold the trim in place are on the back side of the console. Its just not physically possible to get to them with the console in the car. The side panels in front of the seat come off to get to the front mounting screws, their are 2 coves on the sides , towards the back to get the back screws... just move the seats all the way forward to get to those. Then the shifter plate needs to come off.. pop that up.. grab the shifter knob.. pull up and twist back and forth to pop that off. Disconnect the harness and the cover is free. A few harnesses and cables to disconnect, and you have it out, and it gets easier lol. sounds worse than it is ... I think. now that you have the console on a table in the house, upside down, you will be removing a lot of parts in the console assembly, that part is not so bad. The trim is $45 on amazon for the real GM part. See question 2 on the amazon part for my response on how to put the part in.. or.. just ask questions and I will do what I can.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J9PELHK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this is the link to the one I bought, which is titanium grey. I may buy another just to shelf incase the chrome peels again. Not the easiest part I have put in, but worth the effort. They are mostly torx screws if I recall correctly. except for the 10mm hex heads to secure the console to the car, and the few 7mm hexes that go up into the dash on the front edge.

Alacran

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick LaCrosse
Same issue here 2012 Lacrosse. It just happened last night. I have an extended warranty. The dealer will hear about this issue.

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
Hey everyone,
The chrome trim around my cup holder area began rippling a year or so ago. It's a thin layer which seems destined to break loose and become ugly at some point. It's happening pretty much around the entire chrome perimeter. When I run my finger over top of it, it makes a crinkling sound. Anyone have ideas on how to replace it? Or maybe it would look ok just peeled off? Or substituted with something else?
Thanks,
Marc

It sounds like you have been spilling some sort of acid drinks "coke" or other corrosive drinks stored in the cup holder, which will deteriorate and destroy the paint on the cup holder.

Alacran

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick LaCrosse
I worked on the same issue on a different product before. Chrome peeling from a plastic part is always related to material specifications or not made correctly.

Basically, part defect.

EDIT:
Chrome hardly expands and contracts with temperature
Plastic expands and contracts with temperature

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
There is no such thing as real chrome plating on plastic parts, it is all chrome paint!

LeeJay

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
First let me start by saying hello to all, this is my first post I found a 2012. Lacrosse premium with only 26000 miles on it so I couldn't pass it up. In very happy with my purchase it's a great car.
Ok so I got the part from Amazon that was easy enough and I followed the instructions on taking the console apart. It's harder than you make it sound and you left out the part about it being nerve racking ripping onto such a nice console. A word of advice be very patient or you will break something and it will help if you have a general understanding about how automotive wiring harnesses clip together and how cable fasteners are designed. So anyway.... I took it all apart but when I got to the last cable harness going to the console I didn't see any way to disconnect it. I don't think these instructions will work on a 2012 Lacrosse Premium with pushbutton start. I think there is an extra harness that goes to the key fob programmer pocket. If anyone knows how to disconnect the harness that goes to the fob programmer I sure would like to hear from you otherwise these instructions are incomplete and won't work on a 2012 Lacrosse with pushbutton start.

LeeJay

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Well I see there were no replies to this post so it looks like I'll be in uncharted territory when I make a second attempt at replacing the trim piece. I'm recruit some help and remove the console again and disassemble it right inside the car. Maybe with better lighting and an extra set of hands and eyes and a little luck😁 it will go Well . I hope once we start taking it apart we'll find a way to disconnect that cable going to the fob programmer. I'll try to remember to take some pics and post them.

LeeJay

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
10E6D873-3865-4D49-B42E-AD0751511207.jpg
Testing photo attachment

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Roger that on exorbitant prices. With wear out places I repair with this thin indoor/outdoor carpeting I use. I mean this stuff appears like a felt trim piece (dark grey, black interior) and with 3M bonding agent🤓 The cheap alcantra interior finish on the console takes its toll, every time the dam hinge forks (for soft close) come undone when opening/closing cover.

Chrome plating - Wikipedia Not saying at all that pieces can’t be painted and the facsimile will represent chrome. My other car I have 3D made grates in front grill and could not have them chromed due to the laser cut finish. Yup, had to just spray them, photo coming...... 65CB2A72-B18C-4729-A582-BD38D10A997D.jpeg

Last edited:

Oneill5491

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS, 2010 LaCrosse CXS, 99 Regal GS
I had mine replaced once while it was still under bumper-to-bumper warranty, and again, by myself, which was a pretty big PITA:

ncgmac

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick LaCrosse
I had this problem with the console and the dealer fixed it. Now it's the driver's door handle. I slit my finger wide open on it. Blood everywhere, not to mention the pain. I resisted the urge to peel the chrome tape away. Does anyone know of anything that can be done. I've looked for interior handles for my 2013 leather 2.4 e-assist LaCross, but so far no joy. (Other models have handles available from what I have seen so far.)

Talk about piss poor quality. I haven't seen this sort of thing since I was a kid back in the early 70s. Perhaps GM should worry less about shiny things and put in parts that last.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!