• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2012 Verano paint oxidizing

Rebeccainlv

Buick Ownership
Verano
I have a 2014 Verano Turbo and a 2012 Verano base model. The 2012 has oxidized paint on the hood, roof, trunk and quarter panels. I called Buick and I'm waiting for them to call me back. The car is at the Buick authorized body shop and the estimate for paint is almost $5k! I have seen alot of complaints about the paint in 2012 models. Has anyone had luck with Buick covering the paint after it's out of warranty? We own 11 cars. 5 of them are GM cars. Only the 2012 has fading paint.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
If there's a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) regarding poor paint on the 2012s, you might have some recourse with your dealer. Otherwise, you should visit a competent body shop in your area for a second estimate.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
there are over 600 TSB's on the 2012, Structural seems to be the area where body issues are listed and there are none for paint.

Rebeccainlv

Buick Ownership
Verano
Thanks. I was trying to get through the massive list but only got about halfway through.

Back in Jan, when my daughter had the car home from school, we had an estimate done and Buick was going to pay about 1/3 of the cost. Then my daughter took the car back to school and we didn't have the work done. Now she's back home and the paint issue had spread. So I called Buick and started another case. It's at the Buick approved body shop pending word from Buick. Hoping they assist with the cost. There's no reason a 6 year old car should have bad paint already. It only had 60k miles and it's well taken care of, just like all our cars.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Just out of curiosity...

What color is the car? Some colors do fade or oxidize quicker than others. Could this possibly be a clear coat problem?
Has it sat outside since your purchase of it? ie.. Is it ever garaged?
And what area of the country are you in? ie... Southwest, Upper Midwest, Northeast, etc...

Just trying to determine what other factors may have contributed to the accelerated paint deterioration.
Long term exposure to intense sun like in Arizona, can definitely shorten the paint life on a vehicle, especially if it is never garaged..
Here in Ohio where I am at, it's the dreaded winters and road salt/brine that kills our vehicles.

Regardless, I agree that a 6 years old vehicle really should not be having paint problems.

Lastly, if GM won't pick up the paint tab or at least some of it, then I would definitely find a reputable independent paint/body shop for another estimate.
It's been about 25 years since I have had any paint work done, but 5K sounds a little pricey to me. or maybe not....?

Rebeccainlv

Buick Ownership
Verano
It's a dark blue gray color. The clear coat does seem gone and the paint has oxidized. We live in Nevada and it's not garaged. But we also have 10 other cars that mostly aren't garaged and they don't have an issue.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Thanks for the additional info.

Sounds like the clear coat failed, paint was then exposed to the air/weather, which led to the oxidation.
Contaminates from rain will also build up quicker on exposed paint.

If you had said the color was Silver Metallic, I would be less surprised.
I've had a couple of Silver Metallic cars over the years and I think they do have a tendency for the paint to fail a little quicker.

I would say Nevada is a Sunshine State. Especially when compared to Ohio. :cool:
But like you said, your other cars have not experienced a problem.

I hope GM steps forward with some help on this.

Good Luck!!

Rebeccainlv

Buick Ownership
Verano
Thanks for the additional info.

Sounds like the clear coat failed, paint was then exposed to the air/weather, which led to the oxidation.
Contaminates from rain will also build up quicker on exposed paint.

If you had said the color was Silver Metallic, I would be less surprised.
I've had a couple of Silver Metallic cars over the years and I think they do have a tendency for the paint to fail a little quicker.

I would say Nevada is a Sunshine State. Especially when compared to Ohio. :cool:
But like you said, your other cars have not experienced a problem.

I hope GM steps forward with some help on this.

Good Luck!!
I hope so too. I got a re-quote and it is $3675. So a little better but still alot of a 6 year old car that's not worth that much. My 2014 verano turbo is the silver metallic and I've had no issues so far. Hoping Buick does the right thing. We have 5 GM cars so we're loyal GM customers.

Rebeccainlv

Buick Ownership
Verano
I have a 2014 Verano Turbo and a 2012 Verano base model. The 2012 has oxidized paint on the hood, roof, trunk and quarter panels. I called Buick and I'm waiting for them to call me back. The car is at the Buick authorized body shop and the estimate for paint is almost $5k! I have seen alot of complaints about the paint in 2012 models. Has anyone had luck with Buick covering the paint after it's out of warranty? We own 11 cars. 5 of them are GM cars. Only the 2012 has fading paint.
So Buick is offering to pay 40%. I'm waiting for the Sr Advisor to call me back to negotiate. I'm going to let him know we have 5 GM cars and are loyal customers. Also that 2012 paint complaints are all over the internet.

Thackett

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Verano
It's a dark blue gray color. The clear coat does seem gone and the paint has oxidized. We live in Nevada and it's not garaged. But we also have 10 other cars that mostly aren't garaged and they don't have an issue.
I too have the 2012 Buick Verano and I’m having the same issue! The affected areas are my hood, the roof and top of the trunk. My car was garaged at times. My car is mica bronze (brown). Once this happened I began looking at other like cars and noticed they too have the same issue

G-947752

I have a 2013 Buick Verano and I'am having the same issue. The hood the roof and the top of the trunk is all fading out. from Texas

G-713009

I have a 2013 Buick Verano and I'am having the same issue. The hood the roof and the top of the trunk is all fading out. from Texas
I also have a 2014 Buick Verano with the same issue .. hood roof and top of trunk are all faded. My car was black and beautiful!

G-779178

I have 2013 Verano and i am having the same problem the hood ,roof and the trunk is fading what can i do.Will Buick fix the problem.

metlfan2003

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have the same issue on my black 2013 Turbo. The paint looks like it's been hit with sandpaper all across the hood, roof and trunk. The clear coat is failing and I don't know what to do at this point. This just happened this year because last year I had detailed, compounded and waxed the entire car and it looked beautiful. I've kept it clean and waxed in the 3 years I've owned it, but that seems to have done no good whatsoever. The interior is like brand new but paint is starting to look terrible.

I plan on calling Buick about this because I feel like this is a clear defect. I understand it's a 6 year old car, but I expect paint to last longer than that on a car. If they don't do something about this, it will be the last GM product I plan on buying. I had a red 2003 Chevy Cavalier that had it's clear coat fail around 6 years in and it's clear to me that GM just doesn't have the ability to keep paint on a car.

G-852658

My 2013 blue Verano has paint craze and GM did nothing to resolve this they offered a ridiculous split on a 8k paint job no more GM there crap

Last edited by a moderator:
Pedal Commander