2013 Buick rear brake changing

myarrison

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
Folks- getting to change the brakes on my wifes 2013 encore. Understand I need a special tool to wind back the caliper. Is it really as simple as attach the tool to the socket and turn clockwise to get it to release, and then use a c-clamp to back it in?

Also, there is some oddness with the wear on the pads. The outboard pad was starting to grind against the rotor, while the inboard pad looked almost new. Is this indicative of other issues?

Thanks!

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
When you crank them they push in and you don't need a clamp. Outer pad worn while the other one is good is indicative of seized caliper slider pins, if you can free them clean and lubricate.

$4 item at harbour freight or Princess Auto
20201012_224143.jpg

myarrison

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore
When you crank them they push in and you don't need a clamp. Outer pad worn while the other one is good is indicative of seized caliper slider pins, if you can free them clean and lubricate.

$4 item at harbour freight or Princess Auto
Dear Again:

Thanks! Got the caliper reset tool and got the piston backed off so I could get the pads changed. Thanks so much for the tip on the pins- got them un stuck and lubed (bottom one was the culprit) . Much happier to only have spent $15 on the tool and not $200+ on having to take it to the shop!

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
I agree, I usually check pins after winter when I put the summer tires on. I pity those poor souls with no mechanical skills, it must cost them a fortune. I have people that will drive 20 kms to get the battery changed in their key FOBs. I show them "how-to" but 3 years down the road they are back. 8 months if it's an Acura with proximity FOB.:eek:

Last edited:

Outtolearn88

Buick Ownership
Encore
I agree, I usually check pins after winter when I put the summer tires on. I pity those poor souls with no mechanical skills, it must cost them a fortune. I have people that will drive 20 kms to get the battery changed in their key FOBs. I show them "how-to" but 3 years down the road they are back. 8 months if it's an Acura with proximity FOB.:eek:
Hello Again, my I ask can you show which pins need to be checked ? Any chance a picture ?

Thanks so much for all your help and support !
đź‘Ť

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners