2013 Buick Verano leaking

Thread starter #1
Buick Ownership
tradevon2
This morning I arrived at work and when I turned my car off and got out the fan was still running. I turned my ignition back on and off and the fan went off. I went in to work and my co-worked called and said your car was making a funny clunking noise and there was liquid coming out from under the car. It looks to be anti-freeze. But the hoses look good, could it be the water pump? Is there a way to tell? Also anyone with direction (w/pics) on how to change a water pumcp?
Thanks
Sylvia

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
What engine ??? 2.4 or 2.0 turbo ?

Water pump is behind the timing cover. Not a easy job.
You need to find the exact place where it's leaking. Your fan was on because the engine was overheating and it was doing what it's programmed to do when the engine coolant temp is too high... To keep running for a couple minutes after the car is shut off.

If I had to take a guess with out phisically having a look,. I'd say it might be one of the turbo coolant lines (if your Engine is the turbo one) , or maybe the radiator.

Under Which part of the engine is the coolant leak ?
Front, passenger side, driver side, between engine and firewall ??

Thread starter #3
Buick Ownership
tradevon2
Sorry it is a 2.4L
The leak is coming dead center under the car.
There is a cover/pan across the entire bottom so its hard to gage where the leak is coming from specifically until we can get home and take the cover off, nothing is visibly leaking from the top of the engine.
The coolant is completely empty.

Thread starter #4
Buick Ownership
tradevon2
I have uploaded a video of what it’s doing. So zero coolant was in there after work. I filled it up. Did not leak for about 10mins. Stepped on the gas and revved up the engine and the over flow just started bubbling out everywhere. I have a video of below. Also I drove home. The temp gauge stayed normal the entire time. As soon as I got home and lifted the hood as you can see in the video it was bubbling crazy and spill out of the over flow. Not sure where to start. Is it a blockage? Is the thermostat stuck? Hose? Water pump?

Thread starter #5
Buick Ownership
tradevon2
I have uploaded a video of what it’s doing. So zero coolant was in there after work. I filled it up. Did not leak for about 10mins. Stepped on the gas and revved up the engine and the over flow just started bubbling out everywhere. I have a video of below. Also I drove home. The temp gauge stayed normal the entire time. As soon as I got home and lifted the hood as you can see in the video it was bubbling crazy and spill out of the over flow. Not sure where to start. Is it a blockage? Is the thermostat stuck? Hose? Water pump?
Sorry video will not upload. But it’s bubbling right out of the top overflow

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
If the cause of the leak is through the overflow, then it's very likely you have a failed water pump or maybe a stuck thermostat.

Replacing the water pump requires the removal of the timing cover. Time consuming indeed.

I have read of removing the exhaust manifold and using a water pump sprocket holding too to remove the pump with out removing the timing cover, but it's very finicky and few things can go wrong easily if not paying attention.

Again... This is something I read about briefly, and never done it myself so tread lightly.

Here is a link about the water pump removal with out taking off the timing cover...

Inspection Tips For Chain-Driven Water Pumps

And here is some of what it says....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GM Ecotec 2.0-2.4

The water pump for the Ecotec four-cylinder engine is driven by the chain that turns the engine balance shaft.

Remove the Exhaust Manifold or Turbocharger

This will increase access to the pump and thermostat housing on the back of the engine. The studs and bolts that hold the manifold are of a decent quality and there haven’t been too many complaints of broken fasteners.

In order to prevent exhaust leaks, always use a new exhaust manifold gasket. Make sure the surfaces are clean on the head, and use the correct torque settings and sequence.

Keep it Clean

Removing the access plate and water pump creates a big hole that debris can fall into and reach the oil sump. Make sure no bolts or gasket fragments fall in.

Also, make sure the surfaces that hold the pump to the block are clean. An oil leak will form if debris is stuck between the two surfaces.

Thermostat Housing Problems

When you replace the water pump, the thermostat should be replaced.

The nose of the thermostat should go into the thermostat housing, followed by the plastic inner sleeve as in Fig. 1. If the plastic liner and thermostat are not aligned, the temperature gauge will read 235° F or higher while driving at highway speeds but return to 210° F or less after an extended idle.

Use the Right Tools

Most service information on water pump replacement will assume you are doing a complete engine rebuild or at least have the chain cover off — but there is a better way. Water pump holding tool J-43651 will hold the water pump sprocket in place while the water pump is being replaced. The tool attaches to the bolts in the access cover and on two bolt holes of the sprocket. If you don’t use this tool, you will damage the chain tensioner.

When you remove the pump without fixing the water pump sprocket, the tensioner could ratchet out and cause the tension to increase to the point where the chain makes noise and the water pump fails prematurely.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread starter #7
Buick Ownership
tradevon2
Thank you so much for the reply. We are starting with the cheapest first. Overflow cap. We just put on. It bubbled only a couple times. Turned on the a/c and the coolant decreased about an inch and will increase an inch when off. Temp gauge is normal. I guess we will drive it and see.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
Thank you so much for the reply. We are starting with the cheapest first. Overflow cap. We just put on. It bubbled only a couple times. Turned on the a/c and the coolant decreased about an inch and will increase an inch when off. Temp gauge is normal. I guess we will drive it and see.
It's obvious the coolant is cooking, so the cheapest thing to replace would be the thermostat.

Thread starter #9
Buick Ownership
tradevon2
So not the cap. We found the hose it was leaking from. It goes from the thermastat to the firewall. See pics of hose below and where it adapts to in the car. Hose looks fine. Not sure why it’s leaking. Any suggestions?

Attachments

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
So not the cap. We found the hose it was leaking from. It goes from the thermastat to the firewall. See pics of hose below and where it adapts to in the car. Hose looks fine. Not sure why it’s leaking. Any suggestions?
If you're sure it's not leaking at either end where the hose clamps are at, then I would just replace the hose.

However, with the symptoms you have reported, I'm still not sure you don't have a failed thermostat which has caused the cooling system to overheat AND buildup significant pressure. The pressure buildup could have then caused the hose to fail.

Last edited:
Thread starter #12
Buick Ownership
tradevon2
Maybe I will just get both, the hose and thermostat and see how that goes.
Thank you

Thread starter #13
Buick Ownership
tradevon2
Ok so we changed the hose and the thermostat now it is completely running hot and the temperature gage is reflecting. Still leaking from the same hose. The hose is brand new. Would the next step be the water pump?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
If said hose is new but still leaking, then it's not the hose but probably something near it or attached to it.

Water pump is in a totally different place.

I'm wondering if you have a blockage somewhere so the system is over pressurized and forcing a leak in one of the connections.

Thread starter #15
Buick Ownership
tradevon2
That’s exactly what seems to be happening. Previous it was hot and the reservoir tank was boiling but the temp was normal. Now it is definitely showing the temp hot. Should all of hose be checked? Where would a blockage normally be located?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
Are the radiator fans running when the temp is hot ???

It's more likely the head gasket is blown than a blockage in the cooling system.

I would have to be there to tell you difinately what the problem is.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
You're gonna have to spend a lil more time trying to pinpoint the exact spot that's leaking.
Hopefully it's the hose right besides the one you took out.

Thread starter #19

sylvia2555

Buick Ownership
tradevon2
We replaced the hose and connector from the pics I posted. That was it. Ran the car for about 30 mins 15 with the heater on (almost died in Las Vegas) and 15 with air on. It hasn’t gotten hot yet. Fingers crossed. Now I have one last question. The reservoir tank should it be full with antifreeze?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
On the coolant overflow reservoir there should be 2 faint horizontal lines. Bottom line is for the coolant level when engine is cold and the higher line is for the coolant level when engine is hot.

Make sure your radiator is also topped up.

I forgot to mention when you change the hoses, you will have to bleed the cooling system or it will overheat.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.