2013 Buick Verono Timing chain failure waring

JessMBarr

Buick Ownership
2013 verono
My 2013 Verono jumped time bent 2 valve rods and did alot of damage! Buick will do NOTHING this vehicle has less than 100,000 miles on it!!! After some research I have learned that this is an issue with the Ecotech engine. The timing chain guide is PLASTIC!!! so please if you own this vehicle save yourself a ton of money and have your mechanic check this from time to time. There are no recalls for this Buick seems to think it's ok to put plastic in hot oil and have a metal chain constantly causing friction on it.
Once everything was fixed and sensors replaced now the vehicle is stalling and one else have this problem?

KShef

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
99 Park Avenue Ultra turbo, 16 Verano T
Sorry to hear you had these problems and GM will not offer any assistance.

Plastic timing chain guides/dampers are fairly common. Sounds like your chain may have stretch a bit and ultimately is the root cause. Just curious, is this a 2.4L or 2.0L motor?

Maccabee64

Buick Ownership
2013 Verano
I am going to piggyback on this post to ask some questions as well as add my voice.

I just got back from a week long vacation and started up my '13 Verano 2.4L with 67,000 miles and noticed some irregular noise in the engine compartment so I took it to the shop. They say that the timing chain has to be replaced and is going to cost ~$1800.

I'm not sure if this is the same issue or how severe your damage was @JessMBarr but it may be the same issue that I just happened to catch earlier.

Does this have anything to do with my letting the car sit for a week without driving?

If not, I'm thinking that this may be a problem manifesting from previous owners as I bought the car with 58,000 miles but I am also worried about my care of the car. I just had the oil changed in January when the automatic monitoring system indicated that a change was required. Do I need to get my oil changed more frequently, before the monitoring system specifies?

Thanks in advance for your help!

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
This is just me, but I've never trusted or "liked" the oil monitoring/life systems on any automobiles.
Use the dip stick and not only check the level but also how "dirty" the oil is. Use a white napkin/paper towel to see how dark or black it really is. Also not a bad idea to smell it. It should smell like oil. Not of gasoline or something burnt.

Driving conditions and style of driving can have a GREAT affect on oil life.
Probably fair to say that oil degrades quicker in cold winter months due to the engine running rich more often.
Do you drive in dirty air environments like mining or construction areas?
Do you drive like Morgan Freeman in "Driving Miss Daisy" or more like a vintage AJ Foyt?
Do you tow anything?
All of these things can affect how often the oil needs to be changed.

Personally, I change the oil every 5,000 miles if using full synthetic or synth-blend, and every 3,500 miles if using conventional oil. Also, I always use an OEM filter or better, and nothing cheaper than a NAPA Gold. Air filter gets changed every 10,000 miles whether it needs it or not(usually not). I'm not as picky about air filters and usually use a basic FRAM or Purolator since the filter gets changed before it is really needed.

With that being said, I do find it disconcerting that these engines are having timing chain problems way before the 100,000 mile mark. This sounds more like a design and "parts" issue more than a mileage/maintenance issue.

Maccabee64

Buick Ownership
2013 Verano
Just wanted to update on this.

I called around to a few shops/dealers and I ended up taking it to a dealer and it cost ~$1300 all told (in retrospect that seems like quite the deal especially with what I was originally quoted at the independent) Apparently, the timing chain had stretched so they replaced that along with the tensioner, bolts, guides, etc. They also replaced some seals, gaskets, the balance chain, and the inlet duct (apparently that was broken as well).

I asked what could've caused this and the response I got was "that it happens with these engines." Which is a bit alarming. They advised me that if I keep up on my oil changes every 3-4,000 miles, this shouldn't happen again. So that falls right in line with your schedule @KevinJ

I will do that from now on. Fingers crossed that they are right.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
While changing the oil is important, checking the level is more important. It appears that from other forums post that the only time the level is checked is at the next oil change. All engines will consume oil, some more than others, but checking it at regular intervals, 1k, 2k, 3k until the known amount it uses is one way to avoid problems later.

I doubt if anyone would jump in a vehicle and go on a 3000 mile trip and not check the fuel gage, then there are those.....

Maccabee64

Buick Ownership
2013 Verano
@2007LucerneCXL are you referring to the excessive oil consumption issue that is possible with this engine addressed in TSB 13-06-01-003H?

I found that TSB while researching my issue and became nervous as it would entail even more repairs. It doesn't seem that this is an issue on my particular engine (knock on wood) as the oil level wasn't low.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
There are some TSB, but depending on which GM information and engine a quart of oil in as little as 2000 and/or 3000 miles can be considered normal. So if a vehicle owner was using synthetic and went to the 7500 mile change @ 1 quart loss per 3000 miles it doesn't take long for it to create a problem if not maintained. More of a PSA.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
I know that the auto industry in general says that a quart "used" in 2K to 3K miles or between recommended oil changes can be considered normal oil consumption. Engines such as the GM Northstar V8 and Mazda Rotary are known "oil consumers". They will definitely meet and usually exceed those "acceptable" consumption rates. Sounds like the GM 2.4L may need to be added to that list.

I think a quart at the 5K mark would be the upper limit of what I would accept as "normal" oil consumption.
Personally, I have never had an engine that really "used" oil in any excessive manner.
My '03 Toyota Tacoma with 115K miles is barely a 1/2 quart down after 5K.
And my '13 Verano 2.0L with 39K is basically still on the dipstick full level after 5K. I'm guessing it might use 1/4 quart @ 5K. Same goes for an '86 Honda Prelude and a '97 Riviera SC that I owned in years past. Kept both for over 100K and neither used a full quart between oil changes.

Since this thread is really about the timing chain, I will say that I have never had to replace a timing chain/belt. However.... I am seriously considering changing the timing belt on my Tacoma since I am planning on keeping it until dead. Some owners change them at around 100K, but others run them for much more, even over 200K. Have yet to hear of anyone breaking one. The engine (V6) is a non-interference so not a "big" deal if it does stretch or break.