2013 Encore Release Date?

kimzcar

Buick
mmadden...what was your prospective of the 7" screen "up" on the dash? How about the "ONE" armrest? Seats look a little hard in the pics. Were they comfortable? Did passenger side have power seat?

mmadden2

Northern VA
2012 LaCrosse Touring, 2014 Encore Prem AWD
mmadden...what was your prospective of the 7" screen "up" on the dash? How about the "ONE" armrest? Seats look a little hard in the pics. Were they comfortable? Did passenger side have power seat?
If we buy an Encore it will most likely be an AWD model and become my wife's daily driver and our snow car. Our take on the Encore is skewed towards "does the wife thinks it's cute and will she be happy driving it." I would drive our LaCrosse, which is awesome and I already enjoy, so the only real concern here is will this little car make my wife happy. We already knew about the having to use a key, which we both think if terrible but wanted to see them in person so they could either be scratched off the list as a future maybe or if it was good enough to see how they develop over time. Long story short, wife loved it but at this point it's not coming home with the keyhole. I offered to bring one home, but she said she was willing to wait and see if they add passive entry next year. I guess it's a pretty big deal for her, but we have it on the LaCrosse and she has a work badge in her purse that she just holds up to the door at work. Needing a key on a brand new 2013 model feels like going backwards (especially if we were to keep the car a decade) so I guess it's a big enough deal to wait a little longer and see if they add it next year. My wife works close to home so she comes back to the house for lunch most days. If she works 250 days a year, that's having to get the keys out 1000 times a year just for work. Maybe it's a crossover/SUV thing, I also sat in a GMC Terrain Denali, it too has a keyhole- I don't get it. I'm also not a huge fan of buying 1st model year cars, as I think maybe they'll work out some kinks by the 2nd model year but that's all conjecture on my part.

The 7" screen is smaller (and smaller looking) than our 8" LaCrosse screen. Part of that (despite the physical size difference) is probably because it is set back away from the driver considerably further. We tried touching it's on-screen buttons but it is not a touch screen. You maneuver around the various icons and select choices using a center round button on the radio. While I do think not being a touch screen is a stinker, it would be fairly difficult to reach the screen while driving as it is pretty far away. No idea how long it would take to enter a NAV address but I think you can do some things via voice control. We didn't really spend a ton of time messing with the radio unit but wife had no complaints. I think she would also prefer a touch screen but I could tell she really liked the car as a whole so when we discovered it wasn't a touch screen she forgave it and moved on.

The one armrest. Aside from it being a little strange that there is only one, it's perfectly fine. It's small, but covered in decent materials and probably somewhat useful for the driver. I had pre-warned my wife about the single arm rest and so when we got in and she saw it she just sort of shrugged and gave it a "eh, whatever, it's fine". The quality of it is good, it's just small and doesn't have a friend, quite honestly there probably wasn't room for a mate. That said, the Encore felt bigger than we expected. I was basically hoping to like the Encore and it thoroughly surpassed my expectations. I would say we really liked it. My wife thought it was adorable and if not for the passive entry it's quite possible one of them would have gone home with us.

In the showroom we sat in one of the lower trims (the Convenience model), it was Cocoa Silver (really sharp classy brown) w/ upscale black cloth which was the nicest cloth seat I've ever sat on. I might even be inclined to get one with cloth seats for durability sake but the 2 top trims only come in leather and I imagine my wife would want those extra amenities. So the cloth is great, but out. No power passenger seat on that level car.

They also had a mid-trim (the Leather model) in Carbon Black (our favorite exterior color) w/ black leather seats. We figured we might as well drive the one with all the bells and whistles, which is why we drove the white one. The color is easy enough to hammer out later.

The car we drove was the top trim (the Premium model), it was White Diamond Tri-Coat (decent color but not my favorite, especially for a $750 paint charge) w/ black leather seats. The seats were perfectly nice, maybe not quite as large feeling as the LaCrosse seats but they were great and wifey seemed pleased. The passenger seat (on this top model) did have power adjustments like the driver but both sides have a manual 'lean lever' which was ok (I guess). They heated up quickly as did the steering wheel. No cooled seats like the LaCrosse but wife says that having heat is much more important to her, the seats were good to go. I put the driver where I would want it (I'm 5'10") and then got in the rear seat behind the driver and had in incredible amount of room, probably the same as the LaCrosse, maybe 6-8 inches of room between the driver seat back and your knees. The width of the car is narrower than the LaCrosse so 2 adults could sit real nice back there, the 5th guy in the middle would be a joke and not really happening. We did fold the back seats down and that makes a ton of room for cargo which was also impressive. No power lift gate on the back and wife can reach the door to bring it back down, but it's a stretch (she's 5'3").

Overall we were very impressed with the little guys, found them handsome and classy looking, better than we had hoped. All 3 colors that the dealership had were fantastic. We did a little digging and they will also be coming in silver, some blues and a red, but we're not flashy like that. I specifically drove to this dealer because of their color and model selection to give my wife the best chance and liking an Encore and it worked!

Last edited:

kimzcar

Buick
Thank you for your detailed report....I agree that it sounds like they missed the mark on a couple of features...can't wait to go take a look but will wait and see if some of the missing features will be added in future models before considering purchase...

Get your turbo buick badge right here!