• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2013 lacross. Got 4 new tires today. Abs, traction control lights. Also service power steering and service brakes came on. Hard to steer at low speed

Dennnis

Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
Lights came on along with service power steering, service brakes came up. How did the new tires cause this and how do you fix it? Hard to steer at low speeds.

Bhodi's Buick

Lake Michigan's South Shore
Buick Ownership
'13 LaCrosse 303 HP V6
Tell us about the New Tires.
Same Size ? Different Size ? Drastically Different Size ?

Tell us about Who Mounted and Put on the New Tires.
Local High School Auto Shop Class ? Wal*Mart ? Gomer & Goober's Shop ?

I'd go back to whomever put on the tires and let them know the subsequent malfunctions you're experiencing as a result.

Hopefully...they won't make matters worse, but that potential surely seems to exist.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Lol can’t add to Bhodi’s threads, sounds like rim change; maybe went smaller rims with larger tires?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Two options for this multiple problem issue, go back to Costco and see what they may do about it if anything and/or get the vehicle scanned to identify what may be the actual problem with codes. Then see if that may be something that could have happened during the tire change and follow up with Costco or have a qualified shop do the needed repair.
It could just be that it happened and the timing was by chance that tires were installed.

Dennnis

Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
Costco said they just took the tires off and could not have done anything to the car. Probably have to take it to the dealer for a $99 diagnostic check. Thanks

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Possibly crush damage from lift or jacking; do not trust any of them- clueless. My other car at the Ford dealership must tell them of sidepipes or they’ll get crushed; don’t know they are there or OEM?? And now both front airbag replacements; here goes the steering wheel and dash on other side getting trashed; they put the least experienced on those things. Use water pump pliers to undo and remove batt. terminal? Not my car...... either one.

Last edited:

Arthur_Davies

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Possibly crush damage from lift or jacking; do not trust any of them- clueless.

Yup, been there, done that, learned the hard way. When I was young and naive I took my car for brakes to a certain popular department store chain that used to run a famous mail order catalog and also branched out into auto repair, because a relative had given me a gift card for Christmas. Couldn't fathom what was wrong with it until my uncle took a front wheel off......and they had put the rotors on the wrong way round.

The only person I pay to work on my cars is my trusted, independent mechanic.
When I needed tires I went to the shop he recommended a few blocks over.
When I needed bodywork on one occasion I went to the body shop he recommended.

A friend of mine had problems with his Prius starting. The Toyota dealer's "technicians" took an afternoon and couldn't diagnose it, despite it being hooked up to a laptop and whatever else. The local mechanic I mentioned solved this incredible, mindboggling puzzle very quickly. It was extremely complicated: the battery wasn't putting out enough CCA.

Dennnis

Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
I am going to ask to see the video of them taking the tires off. I wonder if they had to use a sledge hammer to break them lose. Code says a right rear speed sensor. All wires are in tact.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Yes, I rotate my own tires to keep in practice for flat change. They definitely stick on sometimes; have had to pound on them myself but use big rubber mallet. Forgot about that......

Sensor would make perfect sense as magnetic pickup I’d imagine and could be out of alignment. Good thing for OBD II’s, myself never would of thought of.

Last edited:

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Yes they could have gone gorilla on the wheel removal, but if it showed up after you had the car on the road for awhile it could be that the milage has caught up. Also the wiring harness and connections need to be checked, actually unplug and looked at. There is no mechanic that I know can just look at a wiring harness and say it's good, not sure if this was done but just wanted to mention it.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Sorry I missed that it happened in the parking lot immediately after the tires were installed. I'll assume that is when you asked Costco about the installation process and they said that it wasn't there fault as all they did was the tire change, indicated that they had no difficulties in removal and used torque specification and torque wrench to do the installation of the new tire on wheel combination. Then upon driving the car out to the parking lot no one noticed at Costco that the ABS, traction control, service power steering and service brakes suddenly came on after they (Costco) just got done servicing it, does that pretty much cover what happened. Talking to the store manager, not service, may get a better response if you can provide some proof of it.

Dennnis

Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
The right rear rotor seems out of line. When you spin the rotar it sticks at certain point. Could this be causing the to be speed sensor code? Could this have been damaged when the beat the tires off?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
If the speed/abs sensor is the type that is outside the hub then maybe there is dirt of some sort.

If they had to beat on the rim to get it off then it's likely lots of loose crap fell in and around the rotor and hub.

I would take the wheel off and inspect/clean everything.

Sometimes the rims can stick on the hub center bore requiring a bit of manhandling to get them off. When I come across those situations I use sandpaper on the outside of the center bore to get the rust and corrosion off and then apply a thin layer of grease to prevent future seizing.

Dennnis

Buick Ownership
2013 LaCrosse
Think I found the problem for
The abs light being on. There is a part of the speed sensor wheel missing. Do you have to get a new hub or can the senor wheel be replaced? Still don't know why the service power steering Light is on. Costco must have hit the tire pretty hard to damage to speed sensor wheel.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
From the info in the Chilton Repair manual it looks like the magnetic encoder ring is together inside the wheel hub bearing assembly and the whole hub needs replacement.

Here is a couple GM TSB's about it...

Attachments

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Not sure on the part as you described it, but the sensor and hub are one unit. Can't imagine that some how it just went missing.