2013 resale value is terrible on the GS

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
I'm sure this has been posted before....but good God the resale value on my GS is absolutely dreadful. For a car that stickered at $39k and change new, I would be lucky to get $20k on a trade in according to black book. I've got just under 30k miles and she's in excellent shape...I know the 2014 revamp hurts, but what else gives? They haven't sold that well so that's also a factor. But it's pretty sad when my 2009 Pontiac G8 is nearly as valuable (nearly 6 years old with 60k miles) as a 2 year old car. Wow.

NHRATA01

New York
Buick Ownership
'01 Trans Am, '12 GS
I'm sure this has been posted before....but good God the resale value on my GS is absolutely dreadful. For a car that stickered at $39k and change new, I would be lucky to get $20k on a trade in according to black book. I've got just under 30k miles and she's in excellent shape...I know the 2014 revamp hurts, but what else gives? They haven't sold that well so that's also a factor. But it's pretty sad when my 2009 Pontiac G8 is nearly as valuable (nearly 6 years old with 60k miles) as a 2 year old car. Wow.

Resale on most GM's historically is awful (though not as bad as high end luxury cars).

The G8 is kind of an outlier thanks to limited production and great performance for the dollar so it's not a great comparison. I suspect a few years down the road the Chevy SS will have similarly stellar resale. But look at CTS/ATS resale, they are not great either. Only GM's with strong resale are the trucks and Z06/ZR1 Vettes.

Also GM really overestimated sales of the '11 Regals so they overproduced and flooded the market, and this carried into the 12 GS's. I can recall seeing several '11 CXL's still sitting on the lot when the 13's were already out. They seem to have done a better job at right-sizing manufacturing production vs. sales in the more recent model years. Just at least hold it through the 5 year powertrain warranty. By that point you'll get off the steep part of the depreciation curve.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
Bad news, but decent news for those of us who buy used. Maybe I can consider a 2-year-old GS when I go car hunting next time. . . .

NHRATA01

New York
Buick Ownership
'01 Trans Am, '12 GS
Maybe recent Z06 Corvettes have strong resale, but their resale used to be terrible. I know several people who bought Z06's only a few years old for about 1/3 their original price (low $20K's).

Well, I should clarify they're usually strong while the current generation is still on sale. Everytime a new one comes out it leaps so far ahead that the old one plummets in price. In 2002 a 405hp hopped up LS1 Z06 was badass. When they bumped it up to a 7 liter LS7 with an extra 100hp, suddenly that C5Z seems boring in comparison. Now the C7Z is making more then the last ZR1 so the C6Z is the bargain of the century.

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
Well, I should clarify they're usually strong while the current generation is still on sale. Everytime a new one comes out it leaps so far ahead that the old one plummets in price. In 2002 a 405hp hopped up LS1 Z06 was badass. When they bumped it up to a 7 liter LS7 with an extra 100hp, suddenly that C5Z seems boring in comparison. Now the C7Z is making more then the last ZR1 so the C6Z is the bargain of the century.

Well I am paying mine down as fast as I can...it's paid for by my company and i throw in some $$$ on top every month....the better news is a majority of the depreciation has occurred already, the bottom drops out and then from there it doesn't depreciate as quickly. At least that is usually how it works. I just want to get to a brake even point if I ever decide to trade.

patrickgw

Seattle, WA
Buick Ownership
'12 white diamond Regal GS (past)
That's really just how the new car market works in general, the Regal just happens to be on the lower end. The GS is also a niche vehicle which tend to have lower resale values as well. 30k miles on a 2013 is a little on the higher end for miles as well. 60k on a 6 year old vehicle would be considered lower mileage. And if your GS in excellent condition (doesn't even need new brake pads) I'm sure you could get closer to 22k when trading it in.

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
That's really just how the new car market works in general, the Regal just happens to be on the lower end. The GS is also a niche vehicle which tend to have lower resale values as well. 30k miles on a 2013 is a little on the higher end for miles as well. 60k on a 6 year old vehicle would be considered lower mileage. And if your GS in excellent condition (doesn't even need new brake pads) I'm sure you could get closer to 22k when trading it in.

Yeah...i am in outside sales so i knew I'd be piling on the miles. I've already had to replace the front pads so they are pretty fresh. Always Mobil 1 for oil....

jester435

Salt Lake City, Utah
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Yeah, I just bought my loaded '12 GS with 16k miles for 19k USD. Good deal for me, bad deal for the original owner.

you got a steal on that car. I would say you are more of an outlier than the norm.

2012 regal GS are selling for 22-24K if you pull all of Cars.com listings.

I have mine listed for 23K and have had lots of hits on it.

gjtalis

ny
Buick Ownership
2012 reagal gs
i bought my 2012 GS back in August... fully loaded with 20's, 6mt, with only 250 miles on it, and cause it had never been sold off the lot it was considered new so came with full 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty……. took it home for $28,000! was a good day

buick bill

Buick Ownership
Buick 2012 Regal GS
traded in 2012 GS on 2015 Sierra Denali ($56K) the GMC/Buick dealer low balled me, as the black book said 16K~ 19K and they offered me 14.5K. Was up and walking when they came back and offered 16.5K! took it but not happy with the GS resale value. The GS was spotless, no damage with 32K miles. New tires, dimpled/slotted front rotors. Saw the GS on their
website with price of $21K.. so they made out selling me the Denali and made a good amount on the Buick... This is why I hate all car dealers... they screw you any way they can
and the GS was gone in 2 weeks..

jester435

Salt Lake City, Utah
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
traded in 2012 GS on 2015 Sierra Denali ($56K) the GMC/Buick dealer low balled me, as the black book said 16K~ 19K and they offered me 14.5K. Was up and walking when they came back and offered 16.5K! took it but not happy with the GS resale value. The GS was spotless, no damage with 32K miles. New tires, dimpled/slotted front rotors. Saw the GS on their
website with price of $21K.. so they made out selling me the Denali and made a good amount on the Buick... This is why I hate all car dealers... they screw you any way they can
and the GS was gone in 2 weeks..

Car Dealers didnt screw you.. You screwed yourself. They made a $4,500 spread on your car because you didnt want to be patient to sell it. I never trade in autos because you never win. I would rather pay tax on the new car then lost $4,500 on my trade in.

That is ridiculous!

kranz38

Crown Point
Buick Ownership
Regal GS
I usually go on Craigslist n see what others are going for with same mileage n year, then drop it a couple grand for a quick sale. Still make out better than a dealership and you Have cash in hand to negotiate.

TwoLitre

Contributing Member
Buick Ownership
Buick
So some of you expect a dealership to take a hit on cars because they're nice guys?

It's a business.

If it doesn't make them money, they don't do it.

People need to be reminded of this?

NHRATA01

New York
Buick Ownership
'01 Trans Am, '12 GS
You're taking it on the chin at a dealer trade in for the convenience of the process, and to a lesser extent the sales tax savings.

IMO I'd go to a carmax first and see what they'll offer vs the dealer. Or of course if you want to put the effort in, take out a paper ad, cars.com, craigslist, or put it on your subdivision corner street and deal with tire kickers.

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
Sale pending on my 2009 G8 GT, asked for and got $18,700. Given the miles and condition (good but not perfect) it's fair....and a hell of a lot more than I'd get on trade in. Considering we financed it for 21k in 2009 (GM discount, deep fire sale savings bc Pontiac was going away, and cash from previous sale of wife's car)....I'd say we made out pretty well on this one.

Back to the Regal. We are shopping for an Acadia/Yukon (9 month old son, need an SUV, thus the sale of the G8) and a few weeks ago went into a dealer. They had a 2015 GS for 34k out the door. I about threw up. Oh well, still love my Regal...

Get your turbo buick badge right here!