• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2014 BOSE system speakers.

nizerims

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
:(s)kciuB yM

It's time to bid adieu to my factory system. The factory Bose system is respectable, but I feel it is not as great as the people that get in my car and see the BOSE emblem on every door think it is.
Bose is a 50+ year old American based company that has worked hard on that brand recognition. They do make some cool stuff so I let most of the people believe what they were trained to believe about Bose. It did take hours on the highway listening to loud ass trap music sprinkled with some Drake, but these speakers did warm up a little after breaking them in. The mids and highs really come to life if you remove the whole interior ;).

Not many places on the interwebs have any information for speakers in any 2011+ Regal. So hopefully someone (now) finds this information useful. If not,,, the 3rd owner of your Regal will when IntelliLink/OnStar/Bluetooth/4G LTE garbage is all outdated.

These are the speakers I removed from my 2014 Regal GS with the 9 speaker BOSE system.
....Center & Tweets.......Front Door.......Rear Door.......Rear Deck/Parcel Shelf....

The rear deck speakers are 6" x 9" subwoofers. They weren't labeled so I measured them. The left 6x9 was 2.1Ω and the right was 2Ω. So the court rules these as 2Ω speakers.

The rear door speakers are a C-hair over 6". These are a full range speaker .... 3.6Ω ...That's different (just wait).

The front door speaker is a 6½". I would put this speaker in the midbass category. It acts like a component set with the tweeter near the A-pillar but has no crossover and is wired directly to the amp in the trunk. 1.8Ω, neat!

Finally a 4Ω speaker.. This is the 1" tweeter that hides inside the pod near your side mirrors. After you pull the pod away from the door you can pop this little sucker out with plastic trim tools or a small screwdriver.

This is by far the most impressive speaker in the whole car. I'd have to test it, but this is probably a full range speaker that is filtered by the amp. Even at 3½" this center channel speaker probably weighs more than one of the 6x9's..... 3.35Ω , I have never seen that before.

*from experience*
If you're going to replace the door speakers in this car invest in some speaker spacers/trim rings and some foam baffles/speaker protectors.

The trim rings go between the speaker and the door when you mount the speaker. They will keep the huge magnet/motor on your new speaker from hitting the glass when you roll down the window.

The door speakers are kinda open to the elements. They DEFINITELY get wet. Any rain or pressure washer spray that gets between the side glass and it's weather stripping goes directly inside the door and out the two little drains on the bottom of each door. It's more water than you probably think.... The baffles go behind the speaker (inside the door) to protect the back of the speaker... If you like to use the door as an enclosure for your installs you can cut one of the baffles in half and use it on just the top of the speaker. It will keep water from dripping directly on your new speakers.

I should probably leave these here also..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buick Street Team™
We use TAGS

ZoomZoom Diva

5.7L LS1 Member
Apple Valley, MN
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal GS "Bruce"
The only argument I would make is the factory system is NOT respectable. It is terribly substandard for what an entry luxury car with a premium sound system should have.
The lack of a dedicated subwoofer is only the worst of its multiple sins.

So how does one adapt to the insanity of all the weird impedances when picking equipment that doesn't offend ears that hear?

douger

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick LaCrosse Touring
The only argument I would make is the factory system is NOT respectable. It is terribly substandard for what an entry luxury car with a premium sound system should have.

So how does one adapt to the insanity of all the weird impedances when picking equipment that doesn't offend ears that hear?
On the flip side, Bose to audiophiles is, quite frankly crap. Give Bose credit. They've managed to define what sounds good even if it really doesn't.

My question to the OP: The speakers are spec'd to go with the DSP settings of the amplifier. How are you getting around this? Today's infotainment systems are pretty tightly integrated with the rest of the car via the serial bus. It's not as easy as cutting the OEM amp out and putting in an aftermarket version.

ZoomZoom Diva

5.7L LS1 Member
Apple Valley, MN
Buick Ownership
That is the issue. A luxury car should use components that are at least approaching decent for audiophiles. I have to agree Bose has scored one of the biggest marketing coups ever.

douger

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick LaCrosse Touring
That is the issue. A luxury car should use components that are at least approaching decent for audiophiles. I have to agree Bose has scored one of the biggest marketing coups ever.
I think the manufacturers know what most people will tolerate. Bose sounds good to most people, they can get a good deal on using the name, and that's what you get. I personally like Rockford in these cars better.

If you're an audiophile... and I consider myself sort of kinda one with not so good ears from trying to be an audiophile for 40 plus years... there's Mark Levinson systems in Lexus, Lexicon in the Hyundai Genesis and Equis, and Acura's premium sound system is pretty good as well.

Maddening is the integration. Pioneer, Kenwood and Alpine make head units that could be superior to OEM stuff, but you can't integrate it, at least not cleanly. If nothing else, being able to replace the amplifier or add a DSP would be sweet.

dmr02

Toronto, Ontario
Buick Ownership
18 Regal GS
I was recently playing around with a 2011 Turbo with the Harmon Kardon system, it is leaps and bounds better compared to the Bose system, mainly because of the clearer bass, just all around a better system. I was quite disappointed getting back in my '14 after with the Bose system, why the switch?

ZoomZoom Diva

5.7L LS1 Member
Apple Valley, MN
Buick Ownership
I think the manufacturers know what most people will tolerate. Bose sounds good to most people, they can get a good deal on using the name, and that's what you get. I personally like Rockford in these cars better.

If you're an audiophile... and I consider myself sort of kinda one with not so good ears from trying to be an audiophile for 40 plus years... there's Mark Levinson systems in Lexus, Lexicon in the Hyundai Genesis and Equis, and Acura's premium sound system is pretty good as well.
My point is that if Buick really wants to consider itself a luxury marque, it needs to be delivering sound systems equal to the Lexicon and Acura ELS systems. Cadillac should have systems that equal the Mark Levinson systems, and Lincoln does a good job with their THX audio. Chevrolet should be focusing on value engineering where they consider what most people will tolerate. Buick should be seeking a higher standard, and be trying to impress most people with every touch point.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I'll be in the minority and say that I don't mind the audio quality of the standard 7 speaker system in the 2015. It's one of the better non-sub woofer OE systems I've heard, only requiring nominal EQ adjustments. Sure there's room for improvement, as there would be with anything. There's always something better if you want to drop the coin.

Fwiw, I'm a music producer in my spare time. My ears are sought out.

sprink268

Southeast Louisiana
Buick Ownership
'14 GS AWD
stoopid,

would you please share these EQ adjustments? I wouldn't have the slightest clue on where to begin so I don't touch anything, but I'm always open to suggestions for improvement on things such as this. Thank you...

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
stoopid,

would you please share these EQ adjustments? I wouldn't have the slightest clue on where to begin so I don't touch anything, but I'm always open to suggestions for improvement on things such as this. Thank you...
The bass needs to come up a couple notches, the mid down a couple notches, and the treble up a click. I also fade a couple notches toward the rear.

If you don't know how to access the tone and fade settings consult the manual, it's all in there somewhere. :)

The front middle/center (dash) speaker IMO doesn't help this system. A few times I found vocals that are 100% fine anywhere else I play them sound overpowering the Regal. But I suspect that strategy is to give people what they want - the ability to hear the vocals and caller for BT phone use. Much in the same way the center channel in a home theater does most of the dialogue work.

Additionally I'll add that I've upgraded many stereos in my prior cars out of necessity, and just last week helped tune a friends new install. IMO the Regal would benefit from having a sub but when I weigh the cost/benefit it just isn't worth the effort. The lower frequencies are there, just not at the volume level some may expect. I did a tone sweep a few months back and I believe the bass reproduction was solid until under 45-50hz, which is about what I would expect for 6.5" speakers. Most people who drive a Buick don't listen to music heavy in those sub 45hz frequencies. That's just how demographics work. The fact the stock system handles 50hz as well as it does impresses me.

shs92645

Barrington, RI
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
First let me say that I think the HK system in my Regal is very good. I have adjusted the controls similar to that mentioned on here. Let me add that I drive two days a week for an Audi dealer - the models with the Bose systems are not impressive at all, but the worst ripoff is the Bang & Olufson system that is an 800 plus option and is poor next to my HK system. Maybe I should keep my car instead of buying a 14 or 15?

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
What sounds good to one is another's not so good- it's all subjective. A car is a poor listening environment anyway no matter what hardware is in it.
There's ways of taking the listener out of the equation when setting up audio systems (car, home, otherwise). But that's a whole 'nother thread. lol

Agree 100% - no matter the car, road noise and other factors (speaker angles relative to ears, dead spots, resonance, reflection of sound off glass and other hard materials, etc) make perfect setup in such a poor and variable environment impossible. So the plan is to get it so you can hear things clear enough and try to get the bass present. Bass frequencies can get drowned out at highway speeds, so adjusting has to incorporate some drive time to make sure the settings are working most of the time. The other tendency is to crank the treble to get 'definition'. Some systems allow for fine adjustment of the highest frequencies (increments of 4khz - 16khz) but in the case of the stock Regal stereo it only has a treble EQ curve, so I found being conservative with the treble adjustment allowed the high end to cut through but too much treble became harsh. Since all things are relative, lowering the mid frequencies also allows the higher frequencies more room without having to turn them up so much.

People get anal about their car stereo setups, going as far as stripping stuff and adding sound deadening everywhere. While there's validity in adding deadening materail in doors and especially in a trunk housing a sub, it's only a small part of the larger picture. The car itself is the weak link.

pinfl

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for your post. You are so right about this crappy BOSE system. Always sounds like the music is locked in the speakers and doesn't come out into the "air". Very 2 dimensional, no depth...blase sound to say the least. I should have chosen their basic audio package. It would have been easier to replace the amp and speakers. I appear to be stuck with that crappy BOSE amp in the back as it's tied to the HU...correct?

I'm wondering. Have you been able to find any good 2 ohm front speakers? I've been all over the net and can only find crappy JBL's and Infinity's. Also, don't want to spend $350 on components that can't be driven by that crappy HU and amp. BTW, how many amps is the HU and BOSE amp?

I have the 2015 LaCrosse. Same system as yours, I believe. Seven speaker BOSE.

What do you think?

Oh, is there an advanced EQ? I've only found tone settings.

I have a Volvo wagon where you have to shut the car off, push a button or two a few times, hold something else and voila...the advanced EQ pops up. ctually, replaced that stock head unit eons ago.

P. :cool:

It's time to bid adieu to my factory system. The factory Bose system is respectable, but I feel it is not as great as the people that get in my car and see the BOSE emblem on every door think it is.
Bose is a 50+ year old American based company that has worked hard on that brand recognition. They do make some cool stuff so I let most of the people believe what they were trained to believe about Bose. It did take hours on the highway listening to loud ass trap music sprinkled with some Drake, but these speakers did warm up a little after breaking them in. The mids and highs really come to life if you remove the whole interior ;).

Not many places on the interwebs have any information for speakers in any 2011+ Regal. So hopefully someone (now) finds this information useful. If not,,, the 3rd owner of your Regal will when IntelliLink/OnStar/Bluetooth/4G LTE garbage is all outdated.

These are the speakers I removed from my 2014 Regal GS with the 9 speaker BOSE system.
....Center & Tweets.......Front Door.......Rear Door.......Rear Deck/Parcel Shelf....

The rear deck speakers are 6" x 9" subwoofers. They weren't labeled so I measured them. The left 6x9 was 2.1Ω and the right was 2Ω. So the court rules these as 2Ω speakers.

The rear door speakers are a C-hair over 6". These are a full range speaker .... 3.6Ω ...That's different (just wait).

The front door speaker is a 6½". I would put this speaker in the midbass category. It acts like a component set with the tweeter near the A-pillar but has no crossover and is wired directly to the amp in the trunk. 1.8Ω, neat!

Finally a 4Ω speaker.. This is the 1" tweeter that hides inside the pod near your side mirrors. After you pull the pod away from the door you can pop this little sucker out with plastic trim tools or a small screwdriver.

This is by far the most impressive speaker in the whole car. I'd have to test it, but this is probably a full range speaker that is filtered by the amp. Even at 3½" this center channel speaker probably weighs more than one of the 6x9's..... 3.35Ω , I have never seen that before.

*from experience*
If you're going to replace the door speakers in this car invest in some speaker spacers/trim rings and some foam baffles/speaker protectors.

The trim rings go between the speaker and the door when you mount the speaker. They will keep the huge magnet/motor on your new speaker from hitting the glass when you roll down the window.

The door speakers are kinda open to the elements. They DEFINITELY get wet. Any rain or pressure washer spray that gets between the side glass and it's weather stripping goes directly inside the door and out the two little drains on the bottom of each door. It's more water than you probably think.... The baffles go behind the speaker (inside the door) to protect the back of the speaker... If you like to use the door as an enclosure for your installs you can cut one of the baffles in half and use it on just the top of the speaker. It will keep water from dripping directly on your new speakers.

I should probably leave these here also..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Buick Street Team™
We use TAGS

G-522816

Malo83

Buick Newbie
Cent Cal
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal GS 2.0T
The PIONEER system that was in my wifes 2015 GMC Terrain DENALI was head and heels superior to the BOSE system in my 17 GS, with an 8" sub in the back, she kicked. :cool:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Bose has never been known to produce good bass, but I think its adequate in my car specially without a dedicated subwoofer. It does play loud and clear with no distortion when I turn up the volume, so I'm pretty satisfied the way it sounds. When I crank up Metallica - Suicide & Redemption off the Death Magnetic CD the bass sounds great and Lars' drums sound amazing.

Pedal Commander