2014 buick encore door lock with keys inside

encore

Buick Newbie
Buick
I was wondering if anyone knows why you can locks your keys inside the car. Is there a way to program the vehicle so you can not lock the keys inside. Its 2014 why would buick alow this to happen. I dont want to have to purchase the onstar to be able to unlock the vehicle. I have lots of new vehicles lately and none of them was i able to lock my keys inside other than a ford with the keypad outside door(more vehicles should be made like that FORD). I tried it today with a friend on the inside i left the keys inside with her inside and i was able to lock the door with the button on the inside of my door and then closed it and all the doors locked. YIKES please help answer my question.

TheAirman

2013 Encore Premium
Just picked mine up, and that was the first on my list to check.

I hope you're not right. It's 2014 after all and locking the keys in the car should be a thing of the past.

I'll report back what i find.

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Encore
Unless our Key Pads have an RFID tag inside them – programed to some sort of transmitter / receiver inside the car so that would know that the keys are inside/outside…. (Which the Encore does not have) – It’s just not gonna happen. :)

markbb99

Buick Newbie
Nashville, TN
Buick Encore 2014 FWD Premium
If you still have your OnStar trial - or I guess you could sign up for the minimum - install the onStar RemoteLink app on your phone, then you get a free 5 years of the RemoteLink app that would allow you to unlock your car remotely. Unless of course you lock both your phone and your keys inside but you could install it in multiple handsets.

From the onStar website:
"However with 2014 OnStar equipped vehicles, when you download and use RemoteLink just once during your OnStar trial or consecutive subscription, you'll unlock access to the RemoteLink Key Fob Services, including Remote Start, Remote Door Lock and Remote Horn and Lights, for five years from date of vehicle delivery"

prohidium

Buick
There is an option in the menu item in the 2014's (probably in 2013's as well) to prevent locking the door from inside. When enabled, if you lock the doors from the inside using the door lock button when getting out, the driver's door will unlock automatically when the door is closed. Thus, you can only lock the door with the key or fob button from the outside. This should solve your problem. Look for anti-lockout in the options menu.

Last edited:

toby65

Buick Newbie
Oakland
2013 Encore
yea, it shouldn't lock with them in the car if I remember correctly, but like others said, you can use a smart phone and the onstar app to unlock it or just call onstar and they will unlock it for you.

I was wondering if anyone knows why you can locks your keys inside the car. Is there a way to program the vehicle so you can not lock the keys inside. Its 2014 why would buick alow this to happen. I dont want to have to purchase the onstar to be able to unlock the vehicle. I have lots of new vehicles lately and none of them was i able to lock my keys inside other than a ford with the keypad outside door(more vehicles should be made like that FORD). I tried it today with a friend on the inside i left the keys inside with her inside and i was able to lock the door with the button on the inside of my door and then closed it and all the doors locked. YIKES please help answer my question.

donniejt

Buick
Yes, that prior response is correct. When the anti-lock feature is set, the only way to lock the doors is with the key pad or the key in the door. See the config option, vehicle settings then door locks settings. Choose anti-lockout.

TheAirman

2013 Encore Premium
Great replies.

I checked mine and the anti-lock out was not set in Vehicle Config menu. Once I set it, the only way to lock it now is with the fob. BTW, mine is a 2013.

Turbo Buick Badge