2014 Buick Lacrosse 3.6 on E95 is a beast!!!!

PurpleHaze

3.9L Member :)
Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
2014 Buick Lacrosse 3.6 on E85 is a beast!!!!

I do not know why the auto magazine states that the 2014 Buick Lacrosse 3.6 is rated 0-60 mph from 6.5 seconds all the way up to 7.2 seconds, when the 2014 Chevy Impala 3.6 does the time in 6 seconds per the same magazine "instrumented" test runs on that car. The Buick never got an "instrumented" test in the magazines, so they are not really testing the engine because it is a Buick. I say this because my car is fast, and it has beaten a Infiniti Q70 sedan off the line and accelerate quick enough to prevent a Q70 sedan from passing on the highway all the way up to triple digit speeds.

However, I do use E85 so my engine is running stronger than it would on regular gas. I also have a K&N drop-in air filter. I have beaten a few other V6 cars off the line including a late model 2017 Maxima. The 2017 Maxima is rated to do 0-60 in 5.8-6.0 seconds.

However, my best kill was the the Infiniti Q70(5.5-5.8 0-60) on the highway and at the stoplight leading off the highway. The Infiniti owner was persistent, because he tried about four times to pass me on the highway,no go. The runs were 70mph to 100+mph and back down to 70mph. Light traffic that day. Next, he got smoked at the stoplight on the highway exit. I let him have it at the second light due to traffic was picking up and i did not want him to hit someone trying to pass me.

The 2014 Buick Lacrosse impressed me that day since i was thinking that is was slower than what it is due to magazine ratings. This a 5.6 second to 6 second 0-60 sedan on E85. Quick enough to keep up or beat most other V6 sedans on the road. A real sleeper.

Note: My car have large OEM 20in wheels on top of that and still behaves like a smaller car. Buick is understated to say the least.

Last edited:

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL

PurpleHaze

Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
Car and driver got the 2017 LaCrosse V6 (new engine, still 3.6L) from 0-60MPH in 5.9 seconds (5.8 with the AWD model). This was with 87 octane.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-buick-lacrosse-instrumented-test-reviews

I can only imagine what a tune or E85 mod might get from it. The new Camaro (6th gen) with the same V6 (no start/stop or cylinder deactivation) is very quick as well.
I was thinking the same thing. The newer 2017 model is quicker due to a newly design engine with cylinder shutoff and 8-speed automatic. However, the newer 3.6 engine is not E85 compatible anymore. Yet, it will most likely run quicker on 91/93 octane gas due to it still having a high 11:5 or so compression. My guess, 5.6 seconds 0-60 easy on premium gas.

The 2018 model may be even quicker with the new 9-speed automatic. Probably, 5.4-5.6 seconds 0-60. Very quick for a large V6 touring sedan.

Note: I think realistically that my 2014 is probably doing 0-60 in about 5.8 seconds on E85 more or less. Still quick for a large touring sedan.

However, GM flex fuel engines with direct injection make 20hp/20tq or more on E85 per GM official dyno charts that list it. Unfortunately, GM does not provide a E85 dyno number for the LFX 3.6 engine. GM seems to only post those E85 dyno numbers for the newer direct injected 5.3 and 6.2 V8 truck engines. GM seem to have very aggressive E85 power maps for direct injection engines.

The 5.3 specs that list power with E85 and regular gas. 355hp/383tq on regular gas and 380hp/416tq on E85. I assume that the 3.6 V6 makes about 15-20hp more on E85 in comparison.
http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l83/

Last edited:

Rich B.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
Roger that on the hidden power surge with high test PH. Unleashing the power available by allowing full timing advance. Motors these days if pinging is sensed from pre-detonation timing is auto retarded.

In the good ole days would actually advance distributor timing by hand getting same result. They'd start hard as hell though and would run hotter but would they "go". Sunoco 260 readily available also, called that aviation fuel.

Same thing with my '13 Boss. Not making at all the 444 advertised horsepower and the high octane not available in ME that much. All octane does is keep fuel from pre-detonation (dieseling), not more explosive potential.

Last edited:

PurpleHaze

Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
GM engines may be prone to leak oil from gaskets, but they are very easy to tune and upgrade.

My LQ9 V8 in my Cadillac Escalade is making about 400HP (345HP stock)just from an performance intake and tuner. My 2014 Lacrosse 3.6 V6 engine feels like a V8 engine just by using E85, performance air filter, and removing the 2 foot long intake tube(closer to 3ft) that sits in front of the radiator that connects to the air box. My Lacrosse run as quick as an 2017 V6 Camaro RS I test drove recently. So power can easily be untapped in GM engines. That is why I love them.:)

Rich B.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
Good point PH. Have a question- By removing fresh air intake duct (tubing) are you defeating the ram air, cold air intake and drawing in hot engine compartment air?

Even though I have a Mustang have a fondness for the Camaro SS also. Looked at one (only looked) but just seemed too much interior plastics and way open extra empty space in front wheel wells. Never say never though.

PurpleHaze

Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
Good point PH. Have a question- By removing fresh air intake duct (tubing) are you defeating the ram air, cold air intake and drawing in hot engine compartment air?

Even though I have a Mustang have a fondness for the Camaro SS also. Looked at one (only looked) but just seemed too much interior plastics and way open extra empty space in front wheel wells. Never say never though.
Very good question. I would say no because the opening that the duct go into feeds into the passenger fender just under the air box more toward the front of the engine bay. The opening also gets an large supple of cool air from the lower front grill since the opening is low and rests just behind the lower grill.

I believe the longer more restrictive air duct also a reason why the Buick LFX engine has a much lower power rating than the LFX in the Camaro. The Camaro air intake duct is very short with hardly any resonator boxes to quiet the intake noises. However, the Camaro does also have a better flowing intake manifold and exhaust which also help it make more power than the Buick.

Yet, the Buick can use E85 which helps bridge the power gap especially by uncorking the air intake.

My Buick chirp the tires very easily when flooring the pedal( causing the traction control to flash) after removing the front air duct tubing. It did not break traction that easy before removing the duct. The engine also sound more aggressive as well, nearly as raspy as the V6 Camaro when accelerating.

Here the duct I removed.

Last edited:

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
As long as water doesn't splash inside the air intake, you'll be ok.

I had to choose between my current 18' Regal 2.0 or a 17' LaCrosse 3.6. Reason why I went with the Regal is because the LaCrosse didn't seem to get the best reliability ratings. But the 2018' Regal has unknown reliability and I think the weak link is the 9 speed trans (made in Mexico :mad:).
The way I drive, if the trans lasts 2 years it should last 20 :eek:
:cool:

PurpleHaze

Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
As long as water doesn't splash inside the air intake, you'll be ok.

I had to choose between my current 18' Regal 2.0 or a 17' LaCrosse 3.6. Reason why I went with the Regal is because the LaCrosse didn't seem to get the best reliability ratings. But the 2018' Regal has unknown reliability and I think the weak link is the 9 speed trans (made in Mexico :mad:).
The way I drive, if the trans lasts 2 years it should last 20 :eek:
:cool:
LOL. You are right about water. However, I would have to drive in standing water that would need to cover over half the wheel for water into be sucked into the air box. That would be a very large puddle. I do not auto cross through mud my Buick so I should be fine. The plastic under body cover also protects the air box opening as well from rain splashes and road debris.

Hopefully, the new 9 speed turns out to be very well designed. However, GM usually have to get crap right after the first few years of introducing new transmissions so good luck.

I personally would not buy a model with the 9 speed until about 2020 so hopefully they will iron out the design quirks.

Note: The actually air box opening is recessed up into the fender so it is would be very hard for water to get inside unless my car is in a flood.

Last edited:

Rich B.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
Questions answered, good deductions and can see reasoning behind choices. Motors used to have carburation and would use compartment air for 100 years or so? Over on the Boss302 Forum this topic comes up often. I changed my TB from 80mm to 84.5mm but retained the factory 4" intake (actually same dia.). Also where driving lts. go have 3D made grates, intake/filter is right where driver side grate is. And yes, rain could be an issue if I ever drove in it. Do have the K&N filter, I like it but many say they aren't all that (part of Track Key option anyway).

Not a problem being too lean (90mm a no go), car will now run smootheer in a higher gear whereas before a downshift was req'd to retain rpm (6 speed manual). See if I can find photo. Agree the Buick V6 is no slouch either, 25 more net HP than my 383 '69 road runner had (we knew no difference lmao).

Oh too the Getrag (sp.?) transmission for those even is German design but assembled in China :(:)
image.jpeg

Last edited:

PurpleHaze

Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
Questions answered, good deductions and can see reasoning behind choices. Motors used to have carburation and would use compartment air for 100 years or so? Over on the Boss302 Forum this topic comes up often. I changed my TB from 80mm to 84.5mm but retained the factory 4" intake (actually same dia.). Also where driving lts. go have 3D made grates, intake/filter is right where driver side grate is. And yes, rain could be an issue if I ever drove in it. Do have the K&N filter, I like it but many say they aren't all that (part of Track Key option anyway).

Not a problem being too lean (90mm a no go), car will now run smootheer in a higher gear whereas before a downshift was req'd to retain rpm (6 speed manual). See if I can find photo. Agree the Buick V6 is no slouch either, 25 more net HP than my 383 '69 road runner had (we knew no difference lmao).

Oh too the Getrag (sp.?) transmission for those even is German design but assembled in China :(:)
View attachment 11805
Damn! Very nice!

I wished my wife would let me buy a true sports car.:cry: Well ,I could actually buy one but she would ride me about how unpractical they are and so forth.

I owned a 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG years ago and she always told me the car was just too much; she was right. I ended traded it after about 3 years of driving it in grid lock traffic here in Atlanta. The V8 just burned a lot gas while going no where and I could not even drive the car to its limit without the fear of going to jail if caught. That was my last V8 powered car. Now I just buy fairly quick V6 cars instead of V8 brutes, but damn your 302 got me wanted to buy a V8 beast again. Very nice car man!!!

My old 2002 AMG

Last edited:

Rich B.

Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse
You drive some exceptional cars also PH. Just trying to keep things interesting is all. NEVER would have a car like that for commuting to work. Bought 6 years ago after retirement, 16 MPG with Track Key but 26 MPG with other key on trip. Keep in shed out in the field and maybe drive once a week or so.

Buick is wife's car ( tell her that) but I drive mostly as we go everywhere's together. So don't need that everyday back and forth vehicle. Consider that as a touring/luxury car compared to 302:)

PurpleHaze

Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
You drive some exceptional cars also PH. Just trying to keep things interesting is all. NEVER would have a car like that for commuting to work. Bought 6 years ago after retirement, 16 MPG with Track Key but 26 MPG with other key on trip. Keep in shed out in the field and maybe drive once a week or so.

Buick is wife's car ( tell her that) but I drive mostly as we go everywhere's together. So don't need that everyday back and forth vehicle. Consider that as a touring/luxury car compared to 302:)
Thank you. I do like nice cars.:) However, I learned my lesson about buying very expensive performance cars even though a still have a soft spot for AMG Mercedes engines. Now I just keep my car purchases less than $40k if possible and put the extra money in the bank for a rainy day. The Lacrosse with the premium II package is actually a good well rounded car that actually handles and perform well while also being comfortable. Hard to find these days believe it or not without stepping up to $50k plus cars.

Back to the Boss, 26 mpg is great for such a powerful engine which makes that a very good daily driver as well as a track day car.:)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.