2014 Encore Check Engine Light

BruceEncore

2014 Buick Encore
2014 Encore, about 70,000 miles, steady Check Engine Light. Mechanic replaced the coil ($388). Light still comes on. Car has a slightly rough idle but drives okay. After driving a few miles there is a roaring sound which seems to be coming from the serpentine belt end of the engine. Alternator? Serpentine belt idler? I plan to take it back to the mechanic. I don't have a scanner. Should I buy one? Take it to Auto Zone and get it read, then back to the mechanic?

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
2016 Encore
Did he check your plugs? If you have an Android cell phone you could download the free Torque APP and buy a 5 dollar bluetooth 327 elm OBDII port module. May be available from Apple store too to by now.

From AliExpress if you want it cheaper;
Or from Amazon.com if you want it sooner: Amazon.com: Advanced HH OBD ELM327 Interface ELM 327 OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Diagnostic Scanner Tool Torque Hardware for Windows Android: Industrial & Scientific

Last edited:

BruceEncore

2014 Buick Encore
Thanks! I don't know what he checked. I presumed he read the fault code and thought it needed a coil, so he replaced it.

BruceEncore

2014 Buick Encore
I haven't tried anything besides taking it to the mechanic as mentioned. I'm looking for a possible cause of the Check Engine light and the rather loud roaring sound from the serpentine belt area.

BruceEncore

2014 Buick Encore
I'm thinking that could be it too. Would a bad tensioner set off the Check Engine light? How specific are those codes and why did my mechanic think it was a bad coil, I wonder?

MelsRegal

Staff member
Regal GS 2017
Without the code the mechanic saw nobody can judge his actions. Concerning the noise, we cannt hear it or use a tool as simple as a rubber hose held to your ear to isolate the source of the noise. Go back to the mechanic.

BruceEncore

2014 Buick Encore
Without the code the mechanic saw nobody can judge his actions. Concerning the noise, we cannt hear it or use a tool as simple as a rubber hose held to your ear to isolate the source of the noise. Go back to the mechanic.
I guess I will get my rubber hose out and listen for it. Thanks!

DocBrown

2016 Encore Sport Touring
Better yet, find a different mechanic.

BruceEncore

2014 Buick Encore
Well, I've considered that. I have no idea why he thought I needed a coil. But he won't charge for another scan (which I know I could get free at a parts store) and I think he'll get it right. I may not use him next time though. Thanks!

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
2016 Encore
Well these are known for getting bad coils, I had to replace mine at 30K miles so if you had multiple misfire codes it is easy to jump to that conclusion. Actually in my case it was the coil to spark plug contactors that were bad. They corroded and stopped doing it's job.

Last edited:

poncho167

2019 Essence
Well these are known for getting bad coils, I had to replace mine at 30K miles so if you had multiple misfire codes it is easy to jump to that conclusion. Actually in my case it was the coil to spark plug contactors that were bad. They corroded and stopped doing it's job.

Yes, I have heard of that issue before as it seems that not enough dielectric grease was used on some vehicles coils to prevent moisture infiltration.

Turbo Buick Badge