• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2014 Encore cooling fan problems

VICKIB14

Wilmington, OH
Buick Ownership
2014 Encore
Has anyone recently had any problems with their cooling fan not shutting off after the car has been turned off? I have a 2014 Buick Encore that I bought in 2015. It has 64,000+ miles. Mine recently has done this several times now. Each time the fan stays on and drains my battery. I've tried pulling the cooling system relays (positions 1 & 3) but no luck. I've also noticed my coolant fluid has had to be topped off about 3 times in the past 6-8 months. Once fuse has been replaced and the problem did stop briefly but now it is happening more often. Any ideas on how to correct this?

VICKIB14

Wilmington, OH
Buick Ownership
2014 Encore
did you find those relays in the electrical section of the owners manual? You may be pulling the wrong ones. I could only find a 2015 manual.
https://my.buick.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2015/buick/encore/2k15encore1stPrint.pdf
I did find them in my manual and a very good friend of mine that knows a good bit about automobiles suggested I try pulling those to stop the fan.

VICKIB14

Wilmington, OH
Buick Ownership
2014 Encore
Sorry I should have specified the auxiliary fuse block it has only three relay fuses in it out of the four. The one I'm referring to is the smaller Black box

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
As MelsRegal pointed out there are no#1 fuses or relays for the fan, see my post on the link and see if that matches your vehicle.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
So the link I provided is wrong on the descriptions and you compared it to your vehicle?

HumbleTRex

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Encore
I did pull those as well but nothing happened. My friend thinks it might be a slow leak from water outlet on the end of the head since coolant keeps going down.
I have this same problem on my 2015 Buick Encore. The fan will stay on until the battery dies. I also have a slow coolant leak that there dealer could not find the source after checking the pressure. Were you able to resolve it? If so how?

Last edited:

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
I did pull those as well but nothing happened. My friend thinks it might be a slow leak from water outlet on the end of the head since coolant keeps going down.
Unless your gauge indicates the vehicle is overheating causing the fans to stay on a few minutes, the leak is unrelated to the fans staying on.

2014Encore

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Encore
I am having the same issue with my 2014 Buick Encore. I have pulled the fuses and the relays relating to the fan but it still runs no matter. I have been unhooking my battery for the past two days and am now wondering if it has something to do with the the coolant temperature sensor? But I am not for sure. If someone could help me with locating the CTS in the engine thatd be great. Thank you.

G-916257

I have this same problem on my 2015 Buick Encore. The fan will stay on until the battery dies. I also have a slow coolant leak that there dealer could not find the source after checking the pressure. Were you able to resolve it? If so how?
I’ve had this SAME-issue with 2013 Encore...has been in to dealer 5 times ...keep saying they CANT FIND anything WRONG....have put 3 batteries in this car!! VERY frustrating...NEVER buying another one!

Brutedawg20

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have this issue too on a 2014 encore. just took it to the dealership tonight to have it looked at. any update available from anyone?

Pedal Commander