2014 Encore, wipers and "Stupid" Arm rest

SMagg

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Has anyone else had problems with the wipers not cleaning windows on hwy... seems like they are too light and leave horrible mess on windshield, mostly now that winter is here. Any ideas?? Talked to dealer and as always , "that's the way it comes". No issues found. Another thing, anyone try to remove the stupid armrest that really gets in the way and really useless. Thanks, Otherwise, great car like the 33+ MPG and powerful enough for me even on hwy with the I4 turbo. :blink:

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
have you tried cleaning the wipers with a cloth and washer fluid? Are the wipers over a year old?

alexusXIX

Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
Yes, wipers are horrible on this car. Did not try to replace it, because here in California we did have a few rainy days only. But I know others did take a car to dealer and got their wipers replaced for free, there are posts in this forum.
Original arm rest indeed is not comfortable at all. I purchased a real console made for Opel Mokka (it is essentially the same car made in Europe) on ebay (shipped from Italy), and installed it myself. It is really good. The original console is still there, in vertical position.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARMREST-OPE...e-fur-for-storage-made-in-Italy-/370845080707

SMagg

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Re: 2014 Encore, wipers and "Stupid" Arm rest

Wow, like the armrest... will be getting one of these... :) thx.

- - - Updated - - -

New, only a month old not the blades, but the thin arms and lack of weight when driving down hwy... poor design.

sddale2001

Buick Ownership
Buick
The wipers are horrible. The drivers side original on mine would leave different streaks looking like it was barely touching the glass. Then it started making noise when it got cold. I replaced it with the Goodyear blades from Costco and it was better. They did not have the passenger side size available though. Soon after the passenger side started making noise too. The dealer replaced both blades and the driver side still does not clean properly. I will put the Goodyear back on when it gets warm out. Although I would like matching blades on there because the Costco one sits higher than the OEM blade.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Yes, wipers are horrible on this car. Did not try to replace it, because here in California we did have a few rainy days only. But I know others did take a car to dealer and got their wipers replaced for free, there were posts in this thread.
Original arm rest indeed is not comfortable at all. I purchased a real console made for Opel Mokka (it is essentially the same car made in Europe) on ebay (shipped from Italy), and installed it myself. It is really good. The original console is still there, in vertical position.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARMREST-OPE...e-fur-for-storage-made-in-Italy-/370845080707

Another wiper thread. Are you listening GM?

Anyways, I like the Mokka armrest/console. Did you just leave the original armrest in the upright position?

I have the saddle and grey (?) interior. I wonder which color is the closest?

cooperboy22

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Yes that's correct. It doesn't disturb me at all.

Whatever color is matching your central console. I do have grey seats and black console, Mokka black arm rest console perfectly match.
I put this same armrest in my 2014 Leather Encore soon after I bought it. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20140213_142313_684.jpg
    IMG_20140213_142313_684.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 606

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
My friend says that NAPA sells small weights that can be added to wipers, so they hold against the glass better.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
I put this same armrest in my 2014 Leather Encore soon after I bought it. Here's a picture.

Thanks for sharing. That's my interior color.

Where again did you find the armrest? And do you remember what they called that color you ordered?

cooperboy22

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I went to the DriveDesign.it website and ordered the armrest for the Opel Mokka from Italy. It was the brown synthetic leather and I added the optional yellow stitching to match the stitches in our saddle leather. It is a dead match for our leather. It slides forward for comfort and raises up to reveal a small storage compartment underneath. Only downside is four holes you have to drill to mount the armrest. It really adds to the comfort of the front seat passengers and looks like it came from the factory. I like mine but it may not be for everyone.

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
Thanks for the ideas. I'll check in to it.

I went to the Mokka forums, and it seems they have the same problems with the wipers, sprayers, and armrests. Must be worldwide.

Their complaint was it was angled too far downward. So someone modified it to be angled more to a horizontal position. it looks real easy to remove and angle upward.

So I wondered, if it was so easy to remove, does someone make a wider version of the factory one? Maybe in China where they love the Encore?

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
Do they make the Mokka armrest to match the titanium leather in the 2014 premium model, do you know? Also you can buy small lead weights at NAPA to put on the wiper blades to enhance the performance.

Last edited:

davring

Buick Ownership
Buick
As a NAPA store owner, for over 30 years, I've never encountered weights designed to hold down wiper blades or arms. I highly recommend, and have used for many years, Rain-X. You won't have to use your wipers often enough to be concerned about their effectiveness. Picked up my new Premium last week and put the Rain-X on it the day I got it home.

Sal Collaziano

Buick: World Class Luxury
Staff member
Buick Ownership
None right now
I really think Buick could have put this more luxurious Mokka armrest in their compact "luxury" crossover and charged $24,100 to start instead of $24,065. Nobody would have complained about the extra "tank of gas" cost and everyone would have been more happy.

The Pool Man

Buick Ownership
Buick
I'm not convinced I'm loving that armrest option. I'd probably want a second armrest for the passenger.

Remember: the Encore and Nissan Juke are often in the same discussion regarding purchase. And does any Juke offer an armrest. Nope.

amharney

Buick Ownership
Buick
I just received my new armrest from Italy. Very nice looking and comfortable. The only issue is that when you mount it, there isn't enough clearance for the original skinny one to slide over top when the seat moves forward. Since my wife always moves the seat way forward, I had to mount the armrest so far forward that it makes the console storage compartment close to unusable. Still... better to have it than the darn skinny one. I wish I could remove the skinny one. Hack saw?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!