2014+ Flex Fuel Conversion Project Complete

cubaniche

Buick Ownership
Buick
Hey Guys! Well, I finally did it. I had been wanting to add Flex Fuel capability to my GS since I first purchased it. The tables are present in the ECM. They just need a tune to activate them. This isn't meant to be a walkthrough. Just a sharing session of what I did.

The 2013 ATS V6 is Flex Fuel, so I used that as my starting point, with the help of a friend who pointed me in the right direction. I found the sensor used on the ATS and purchased it and the harness via an online vendor. I then took a page out of the 2011 Regal CXL Turbo and found that the sensor was mounted right there in the engine bay so I mimicked that setup as much as possible.

I had to build my own fuel line. There was some trial and error but it was fun. I decided on the newer nylon semi-rigid fuel lines as it is E85 resistant. I got me some fuel line connectors, proper clamps and a fuel line connector install tool. I wanted to make sure I built the line right and avoid a failure or leak. There were some 'how-to' online and YouTube on how to get the nylon line on the connector. Some involved heat and manhandling the line. I tried that, and didn't like the outcome. Didn't look OEM and just didn't seem like it sealed properly. Anyways, I used a special tool made for this which uses pressure to press the fitting into the line without needing heat (I felt that heating the nylon was causing some of the chemical makeup to change, maybe even weaken, hence causing the not so tight seal mentioned earlier). The tool did its job. I added an oetiker clamp to each end on the third barb to ensure a good seal.

So far it was a success! No leaks, vehicle runs well. I will be wiring it up to the ECM this weekend. Then I will have Trifecta revise my calibration to make the ECM Flex Fuel. I have been using a 50/50 mix of 93/E85 but due to the small changes in E85 content, my trims would start to slowly skew. Power on the E47 mix is GREAT! This mod will make sure the fuel trims are always spot on no matter the mix of fuel in the tank. Also, I no longer need a dedicated gas tune and separate E85 tune. If I go on trip I can fill up with 93 and the ECM will adjust on the fly :)

Attachments

• IMAG0797.jpg
    IMAG0797.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMAG0798.jpg
    IMAG0798.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG0804.jpg
    IMAG0804.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMAG0806.jpg
    IMAG0806.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 163

kranz38

Crown Point
Buick Ownership
Regal GS
Btw will someone do a front mount turbo through the grill...please

cubaniche

Buick Ownership
Buick
Well played, zzp said they will Start carrying the revised ecm? Been waiting for 2 months now. Keep us posted

As far as I know, it's present in all ECM's from 2011MY - 2015MY and Trifecta has full control over it. It's the same code trifecta has been enabling to offer flex-fuel support for the 2012/13 GS. Trifecta had told me if I were to go down this path they'd help me get it running. And so they did. I received the update and flashed it today. Works PERFECT. We initially had a reading of 42.7% alcohol content. I went and put 6/gal of E85 and instantly got readings of 49% at the beginning of the log that settled at 59% at the end of the log.

The hardcoded 'virtual' sensor was great and allowed me to run an E85 mix just fine but I always had to flash back to my gas tune if I went on a trip out of town where I was unfamiliar with the area not knowing where I could get ethanol. Now I just put 93 in there, and it will self adjust on the fly for whatever mix is in the tank.

Pretty awesome :)

coledriftking07

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
This isn't too hard to do. I just finished mine up, runs great. You just have to know what ECM pin numbers to tap into for programming & get fuel connections. I had to order the MX64 Molex pin connectors for the harness. I would be sure to use 20 gauge wire, it says 18 or 20 for the harness, but some of the 18 gauge out there is too big to fit the insulation inside of connector pins.

wungun

Buick Ownership
Buick
Bump...
Is it really seemingly this easy and inexpensive to go Flex?
How much boost would Trifecta ECU setup for full E85 fuel?

TRIFECTA

Contributing Member
Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
Bump...
Is it really seemingly this easy and inexpensive to go Flex?
How much boost would Trifecta ECU setup for full E85 fuel?

Pretty much. At least on the LTG (MY2014+). The fuel system can handle the power of E85 with more timing and slightly less boost. No need to run a 50/50 mix of 93/E85 like on the LHU (MY2011-13) for tuned power. Both can do totally stock power with full E85 though.

So, if your goal is to simply stay stock and go flexfuel, then yes, it's as simple as installing the sensor, adding the fuel line, and getting our calibration to enable the tables ;)

wungun

Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for the reply...
But why go stock power levels when your giving up the better fuel mileage of gasoline? Lol
Maybe meth injection would be a better way to go.... Not a lot of e85 around me.

pkgmsu2000

Contributing Member
Denver, CO
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
trifecta isnt a fan of water/meth injection... but they can offer a tune for a flex fuel GS... is there a flex fuel conversion kit out there for 2014 GS?

TRIFECTA

Contributing Member
Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
trifecta isnt a fan of water/meth injection... but they can offer a tune for a flex fuel GS... is there a flex fuel conversion kit out there for 2014 GS?

TRIFECTA can tune for water/methanol injection. I believe the comment you are quoting here was a personal opinion from an employee. Just to be clear, there is a difference between a personal opinion from an employee and what we can tune for ;)

That being said, flex fuel is the way to go if you want ease of use and performance on tap for simply putting E85 or whatever mix you want in the tank. There aren't any specific kits made for the LTG Regal. You can find the parts and piece one together yourself as the OP did in this thread.

Bluest

Buick Ownership
Regal 2.0 2015
Hey Guys! Well, I finally did it. I had been wanting to add Flex Fuel capability to my GS since I first purchased it. The tables are present in the ECM. They just need a tune to activate them. This isn't meant to be a walkthrough. Just a sharing session of what I did.

The 2013 ATS V6 is Flex Fuel, so I used that as my starting point, with the help of a friend who pointed me in the right direction. I found the sensor used on the ATS and purchased it and the harness via an online vendor. I then took a page out of the 2011 Regal CXL Turbo and found that the sensor was mounted right there in the engine bay so I mimicked that setup as much as possible.

I had to build my own fuel line. There was some trial and error but it was fun. I decided on the newer nylon semi-rigid fuel lines as it is E85 resistant. I got me some fuel line connectors, proper clamps and a fuel line connector install tool. I wanted to make sure I built the line right and avoid a failure or leak. There were some 'how-to' online and YouTube on how to get the nylon line on the connector. Some involved heat and manhandling the line. I tried that, and didn't like the outcome. Didn't look OEM and just didn't seem like it sealed properly. Anyways, I used a special tool made for this which uses pressure to press the fitting into the line without needing heat (I felt that heating the nylon was causing some of the chemical makeup to change, maybe even weaken, hence causing the not so tight seal mentioned earlier). The tool did its job. I added an oetiker clamp to each end on the third barb to ensure a good seal.

So far it was a success! No leaks, vehicle runs well. I will be wiring it up to the ECM this weekend. Then I will have Trifecta revise my calibration to make the ECM Flex Fuel. I have been using a 50/50 mix of 93/E85 but due to the small changes in E85 content, my trims would start to slowly skew. Power on the E47 mix is GREAT! This mod will make sure the fuel trims are always spot on no matter the mix of fuel in the tank. Also, I no longer need a dedicated gas tune and separate E85 tune. If I go on trip I can fill up with 93 and the ECM will adjust on the fly :)

Did you add pins to your pigtail ends? Are pins necessary? All the ones I see online are bare wire. Want to go the same diy route but want to be sure...

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
cubaniche - Last seen Dec 28, 2015 probably not getting a response

Bdrinkman09

Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal Premium I
Any detailed instructions or a parts list that can be created for all of us who want to do this upgrade? Much appreciated if it’s possible!

Bluest

Buick Ownership
Regal 2.0 2015
cubaniche - Last seen Dec 28, 2015 probably not getting a response
Youre right. Anyone more knowledgable than me can contribute for the community

Get your turbo buick badge right here!