• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2014 Verano Major Electrical Issues

Rueme

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
My wife went to the store with our Buick with 49,000 miles on it and called and said it would not start, I went over there thinking maybe it was the remote but every time I tied to start it the alarm went off, so I had it towed to the dealer where it was purchased! The next morning an advisor calls me and says the side object detection modules shorted out and they needed to replace 2 modules and a harness to the tune of $1800 dollars!! What choice did I have? I said yes and drove by 2 hours later and the car was already done! I feel ripped off, he said it was caused by salt or water. The car has been garaged all of its short life. I looked up these modules on a parts site and they were just over $100, I got charged $368 apiece. I've had at least 6 Buicks in my life but this is the last one, I'm going to start looking next week for a new ride!

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
I would have asked what I would lose with those modules deactivated - blind spot warning, ped x-traffic warning and would it affect the rearview camera - before saying yes. Deactivation then getting a second opinion from another dealer or repair shop would have been another choice. I've read other posts from people who took a pass on replacement after getting sticker shock like you reported. While your Verano may be garaged when it's parked, I'm sure you drive it when it rains or snows. Enjoy your new ride!

ThatsNotABuick!

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL Turbo M6
My wife went to the store with our Buick with 49,000 miles on it and called and said it would not start, I went over there thinking maybe it was the remote but every time I tied to start it the alarm went off, so I had it towed to the dealer where it was purchased! The next morning an advisor calls me and says the side object detection modules shorted out and they needed to replace 2 modules and a harness to the tune of $1800 dollars!! What choice did I have? I said yes and drove by 2 hours later and the car was already done! I feel ripped off, he said it was caused by salt or water. The car has been garaged all of its short life. I looked up these modules on a parts site and they were just over $100, I got charged $368 apiece. I've had at least 6 Buicks in my life but this is the last one, I'm going to start looking next week for a new ride!
You just invested a bunch of money into this car, not sure if getting rid of it is the best choice. Whenever you get an outrageous estimate, you should call around other dealerships and independent repair shops. Sure it might cost $60 or so to tow it to them, but you will save a lot of money.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
You stated a parts site , what is the cost of the GM part, not an aftermarket replacement?

mjkelch

Buick Newbie
Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
Buick Verano Turbo 2014
I had the exact same issue, caused by "corrosion" of the harness assembly. (???....the harness is inside your trunk wall behind the small access door and don't know how moisture gets inside there?). That was one year ago. They had to order the parts (harness and module) for $850. Guess what? I forgot all about it and they never called me back. So, I simply removed the fuse for the module (also inside the trunk) and have managed to live just fine without the related features (side detection etc.) I just have to dismiss 2 warnings in the DIC every time I start the car.....willing to do that to avoid the expense.

Turbo Buick Badge