• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2015-2018 Lacrosse

markfnc

Johnston County, NC
Buick Ownership
Buick LaCrosse
I'm looking to get a used (less than 25,000 miles) Lacrosse. I previously had a 2007 Lacrosse. are any of the years 2015-18 any better or worse overall for issues?

tombalas

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Lacrosse Leather
The 2017 and 2018 models are the newer versions; 2016 was the last model year for the earlier version. I have a 2016 Leather with the 3.6L V6 (LFX) and it has been absolutely perfect. Now with about 38,000 miles on it. Great car/solid.

Pops2010

Buick Ownership
LaCrosse
I currently have a 2010 with 23k and I had a 2015 Leather and a 2016 with the honeycomb rim package and HUD. I absolutely loved my 2015 and 2016, especially the adaptive HID headlights in the 2016.

I’m not a fan of the 2017 and up body style, so I can’t comment on those model years. But if they still made the older body style 10-16, I would have another one for sure. Very solid and reliable.

Bhodi's Buick

Lake Michigan's South Shore
Buick Ownership
'13 LaCrosse 303 HP V6
Don't rule out the 2010 to 2013 LaCrosse either.

Scored my '13 two months ago with only 21,000 miles.

There was a minor refresh in 2014, subtle front & rear facias and dash configuration.

These are Buicks, so you know old retired people who never drove them had them, so there's an abundance of low mile 2nd generation LaCrosses out there for the taking.

Do you want a 4 cyl Hybrid or the beefy V6 ?
FWD or AWD ?

All years are very solid and reliable.

Better pricing the older they are, but miles are life to a car, get one with plenty of life in it regardless of year.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Roger that on old peoples cars Bhodi. Our first Buick 3 years ago at 70yo. Not all that bad, other car's a Boss Mustang. Both spoken for at end of days.

jetman2

Buick Ownership
2017 Lacrosse Essence
I just bought a '17 LaCrosse Essence and LOVE it. My '07 Impala transmission died at 205k miles, and looked at newer Impala and LaCrosses. Found a great deal with 22k miles. I like the new electronic shifter many here aren't fond of. Handles and rides TONS better than my Impala ever did.

Attachments

greg12

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
2018 Lacrosse premium 3.6 FWD
I bought a 2018 3.6 FWD Premium with 14K miles. It is an overall impressive car. It has tons of power, is quiet and comfortable, has all of the latest tech that so far works flawlessly and on top of that gets great gas mileage on regular gas. I recently had a 25 mile best average of 41MPG on a road trip with AC on traveling 70-75MPH (Shows 43 as best in memory). Of course that is according to the trip computer and not sure about the accuracy. It is also showing about 20MPG around town. Although our previously leased Malibu Premier 2.0T was smooth and powerful, the ride with the 19" tires was bad on rough roads, required premium gas, and got bad gas mileage around town. All around the Lacrosse is a MUCH better vehicle.

If the non-GS Regal had this 3.6 powertrain I would have considered it (would have liked a shorter overall length even though the Lacrosse is only 3.5" longer than the Malibu) but I decided I will not own a high output turbo car because of the need for premium gas, the poor high outside temperature performance, the poor around town gas mileage, and my expectation that turbo motors will have more mechanical problems down the road. I think the reason GM does not put this V-6 in the Malibu or the non-GS Regal is the cost...after all it was a $2500 option on the 2018 Lacrosse over the base 4CYL hybrid motor.

Attachments

Fcar1953

Pittsburgh Pa
Buick Ownership
14 Lacrosse Premium AWD 15 Enclave Premium
We bought a 14 Lacrosse Premium AWD for the wife. Bought coming of a 3 year lease with 24000 miles. Over a year now and at 39000, its been a great car. Paid less than half of what it was brand new.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Roger that on the good buys, encouraging to say the least. Up in ME too many shysters attempting to sell used cars brought up from flood states or totaled. Believe me when I say Tru-Car is completely useless; don’t look for a Boss Mustang through them.

Our ‘16 is just a bit over 10K miles and has served flawlessly, going on 4 years. Didn’t want AWD or 4 cylinder; snow days, bad weather- car stays in. Speciality car, don’t but one unless you purposely plan to “not” drive at least half the year anyways. True, first car I ever bought to not drive (not Buick of coarse); well maybe that too a little lol......

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
The 2017 and 2018 models are the newer versions; 2016 was the last model year for the earlier version. I have a 2016 Leather with the 3.6L V6 (LFX) and it has been absolutely perfect. Now with about 38,000 miles on it. Great car/solid.
I second this. I've had my '16 Premium I for only a month, but it has been perfect and astonishing. A big car that doesn't handle like one, smooth and nimble, swift, efficient (for its size and HP) on regular gas. Mine is garnet red over cream (I don't do black interiors), 18" wheels but higher-profile tires.

I love the way the '17 looks. In fact I could have bought a low-mileage used '17 last month for only a bit more than the '16. But the '17 has that auto stop-start feature you can't turn off. I don't care for that. I've read here that Buick will provide a turn-it-off button for the system in '19, but also that the LaCrosse is going away after that. Buick apparently is going for all SUVs and CUVs. Grrr.

This is my 3rd Buick (an '03 Park Avenue, then an '11 Regal CXL, and now the LaCrosse). They really are the unsung bargain among used semi-luxury cars -- 70% of the Mercedes/BMW driving experience for 40-50% of the cost.

LaCruise

Buick Newbie
Salt Lake City
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium AWD
From an engineering point of view, the '17-'19 generation is far superior to the earlier models. It has the newer chassis design, 5 link rear suspension, LGX engine, 8-9 speed transmissions, optional twin dual clutch AWD, improved Intellilink and a lot more. Styling is a personal choice, but to my eyes it's also much improved over the previous cars, both inside and out. For these reasons I would recommend the newer model.

Benefits I could see for the '15-'16 cars would be lower price, slightly taller which probably makes ingress/egress a little easier, more upright seating position, no start/stop (which is actually not an issue at all to me but some people do not like), conventional shift lever (I like the new one but some don't), and if you prefer the styling.

Quality seems to be just as good from everything I have ever read. My car has had zero problems in 23,000 miles but the last generation also has high quality. At the end of the day they are all good cars so it comes down to personal preferences on styling and/or features and price that are important to you.

DoctorWho

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Lacrosse Premium (1979 Buick Century Wagon RIP)
Love my 2013 just cracked 182,000 miles on it. bought it in April of 15 with 68000 Yes I put miles on it. Still getting 23 to 24 mpg average with 50 50 driving. She still hits 131 occasionally when I need a rush. Only thing I had major issue was with rotors and axle bearings. Got some EBC brakes and slotted rotors and new axle bearings and it's been fine since. Seems to be an issue with the 13. Looking to sell it and get a 17 but not sure about going from a 18.6 gallon tank which I have been getting about 400 miles per fill up to the 15.8 on the 17. Only thing holding me back right now.

DoctorWho

Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Lacrosse Premium (1979 Buick Century Wagon RIP)
Love my 2013 just cracked 182,000 miles on it. bought it in April of 15 with 68000 Yes I put miles on it. Still getting 23 to 24 mpg average with 50 50 driving. She still hits 131 occasionally when I need a rush. Only thing I had major issue was with rotors and axle bearings. Got some EBC brakes and slotted rotors and new axle bearings and it's been fine since. Seems to be an issue with the 13. Looking to sell it and get a 17 but not sure about going from a 18.6 gallon tank which I have been getting about 400 miles per fill up to the 15.8 on the 17. Only thing holding me back right now.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
From an engineering point of view, the '17-'19 generation is far superior to the earlier models. It has the newer chassis design, 5 link rear suspension, LGX engine, 8-9 speed transmissions, optional twin dual clutch AWD, improved Intellilink and a lot more. Styling is a personal choice, but to my eyes it's also much improved over the previous cars, both inside and out. For these reasons I would recommend the newer model.

Benefits I could see for the '15-'16 cars would be lower price, slightly taller which probably makes ingress/egress a little easier, more upright seating position, no start/stop (which is actually not an issue at all to me but some people do not like), conventional shift lever (I like the new one but some don't), and if you prefer the styling.

Quality seems to be just as good from everything I have ever read. My car has had zero problems in 23,000 miles but the last generation also has high quality. At the end of the day they are all good cars so it comes down to personal preferences on styling and/or features and price that are important to you.
If the '17 had at least a defeat button for the Auto Stop-Start. I'd have gone out to test-drive it. I love the way the new generation looks, and no doubt they are improved over the already excellent 2010-2016 model.

greg12

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
I was initially concerned about the auto-stop on my 2018 but it is seamless and have gotten used to it. I have no concern so far for example making a left turn against traffic as it starts back up in what I would say is under a second after releasing the brake. There is no shudder and no hesitation when pressing the accelerator. Unless or until that changes I have no concern about it. I think GM did a good job with it. When I read about the 3.6 LGX engine it was designed to stop so that the position of the camshaft was optimal for the restart. Whether the starter or battery is adversely affected by the feature is yet to be determined but I am not very concerned about it. The auto stop can always be disabled by driving in M mode or putting AC on max.

LaCruise

Buick Newbie
Salt Lake City
Buick Ownership
I agree the auto start/stop has turned out to be a non-issue for me as well. GM did a very nice job engineering this. I won't say it is imperceptible because that would not be true, but it is unobtrusive. As you said, it can be defeated by toggling into M mode if you must. The electronic shifter makes that incredibly easy to do. It's spring loaded so you just flick the lever down to go into M mode, release and it returns to center position, then flick down again to toggle it back to D mode. If you Google there is a company that makes a device to disable the feature. It plugs inline into a harness in the engine compartment that controls the start/stop. Can easily be removed and thenyou are back to stock. But again, its not necessary as far as I a concerned.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
I agree the auto start/stop has turned out to be a non-issue for me as well. GM did a very nice job engineering this. I won't say it is imperceptible because that would not be true, but it is unobtrusive. As you said, it can be defeated by toggling into M mode if you must. The electronic shifter makes that incredibly easy to do. It's spring loaded so you just flick the lever down to go into M mode, release and it returns to center position, then flick down again to toggle it back to D mode. If you Google there is a company that makes a device to disable the feature. It plugs inline into a harness in the engine compartment that controls the start/stop. Can easily be removed and thenyou are back to stock. But again, its not necessary as far as I a concerned.
I'd seen an aftermarket device for the Regal TourX and Sportback, but I didn't see any mentions of this for the new LaCrosse. And you say flicking the lever into manual mode and back again will defeat the auto stop-start for the duration of the drive? You'll need to do it again when you restart the car, but it remains off until you switch off the ignition?

greg12

Long Island, NY
Buick Ownership
I'd seen an aftermarket device for the Regal TourX and Sportback, but I didn't see any mentions of this for the new LaCrosse. And you say flicking the lever into manual mode and back again will defeat the auto stop-start for the duration of the drive? You'll need to do it again when you restart the car, but it remains off until you switch off the ignition?
I will do some experimentation with the M mode and post here about it. However I must say that my experience with the auto stop feature is that is almost a non-issue. When I posted previously that the engine starts in less than a second after releasing the brake in my case it is almost instantaneous.

I am extremely happy with our Lacrosse which I look for excuses to drive (it is mostly the wife's car as I drive a company truck). There is no doubt that it is all around the best car we have owned and I love the fact that since acquiring it I have only seen one other of this model on the road it. I also admired the previous generation. Of course I live on the east coast where every fifth car is a Honda.

LaCruise

Buick Newbie
Salt Lake City
Buick Ownership
Smartstopstart.com makes the module. It’s $140. When you shift into M mode, you have to use the paddle shifters to shift. The auto stop only happens when you come to a stop and if the car determines the engine is not needed to keep the temperature. To defeat you would toggle into M as you com to a stop. The engine will now stay running. When you pull away either toggle back into D it use the paddle shifters if you wanted to stay in M.

Pedal Commander