• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2015 3.6 awd Lacrosse riding like a boat on the ocean

Daniel J Gilson

Deerfield Mi
Buick Ownership
2015 Lacrosse 3.6 awd
I bought a rebuilt 15 with 24k on it, had a body man and mechanic check it out. Also had alignment done.
while driving you can let go of the wheel and continues straight down the road while accelerating or braking.
But as you are cruising the car wants to wander and almost makes you sea sick. I can not tell if the issue is electronic {steering or stabilatrack or mechanical. we have looked all over on a hoist and see no evident issue. I put new wheels and tires on it. Also took it to a friend that is a GM mechanic to drive, he is stumped currently.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

I love the car and want to resolve the problem so I can move on to some performance upgrades.

Please let me know if this in the wrong place I don't belong to many forums.

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Welcome! I think you're in the right place. There are lots of knowledgeable folks on this forum and many willing to help if they can.

I also have a '15 LaCrosse 3.6 (FWD). The combination of ride and handling as as good as anyone could expect. With the new Michelins on it, it is as smooth as glass at any speed.

I don't know what could be causing your ride issues. If it were an older car, I would say it sounds like a shock/strut issue but I can't imagine that being the case at 24K miles/4 years. Of course when you say "rebuilt" that leaves things pretty wide open.

Good luck. Someone here will have some good ideas for you.

Last edited:

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Was the alignment done with the new wheels and tires?
Did the alignment shop give you a print out of the settings after they were completed?
Did they check the rear wheel alignment?
I would go back and have them recheck the toe-in.

Daniel J Gilson

Deerfield Mi
Buick Ownership
2015 Lacrosse 3.6 awd
Welcome! I think you're in the right place. There are lots of knowledgeable folks on this forum and many willing to help if they can.

I also have a '15 LaCrosse 3.6 (FWD). The combination of ride and handling as as good as anyone could expect. With the new Michelins on it, it is as smooth as glass at any speed.

I don't know what could be causing your ride issues. If it were an older car, I would say it sounds like a shock/strut issue but I can't imagine that being the case at 24K miles/4 years. Of course when you say "rebuilt" that leaves things pretty wide open.

Good luck. Someone here will have some good ideas for you.
Ty

Daniel J Gilson

Deerfield Mi
Buick Ownership
2015 Lacrosse 3.6 awd
I had the alignment done prior to purchase with old tires and wheels/ all 4 wheels. I did get a print out I will have to find it.
I noticed a little walking on the test drive that's why I paid for the alignment up front. I didn't notice how much it was walking until after I purchased and drove at hwy speeds. It has not changed from the old to new tires.

Daniel J Gilson

Deerfield Mi
Buick Ownership
2015 Lacrosse 3.6 awd
I had the alignment done prior to purchase with old tires and wheels/ all 4 wheels. I did get a print out I will have to find it.
I noticed a little walking on the test drive that's why I paid for the alignment up front. I didn't notice how much it was walking until after I purchased and drove at hwy speeds. It has not changed from the old to new tires.
The alignment was not off by much when I had it done according to what is called for.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Unless things drastically changed front wheel drive cars require all 4 wheels aligned. Nothing will wear tires faster than bad alignment. Printout should be given to customer? Oops all wheel drive, I’d say even more critical.

Bhodi's Buick

Lake Michigan's South Shore
Buick Ownership
'13 LaCrosse 303 HP V6
The Electronic Steering was introduced for the 2013 model year.

At slower speeds, yes, there is that " Floaty Boat " sensation evident.

Go test drive some non - rebuilt used '13 to '15s on some dealer's lots for a comparison feel.

Could be nothing is wrong, and it's just the nature of Electronic Steering on a car that was originally designed with hydraulic steering.

This costs nothing, and could put you at ease about your '15.

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2016 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 Premium
My 2016 has the electronic steering, and it certainly doesn't wallow or ride like a boat. Perhaps it might seem that way if you're used to the sporty suspension on a BMW, for example. Try driving another '14 or '15 and see how it rides.

Even at 24K miles, you might need new shocks.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
You had the alignment done with the old tires and wheels and make no mention if they checked the rear alignment.
Go back and have the alignment rechecked, front and rear.

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I am starting to think it is electronic. I was told the vin says I have selectable ride control but can not find a way to do that.
To the best of my knowledge, 'ride' selection is done only through the console shift handle.
When 'D'/ Drive is selected. the ride and steering response is supposed to be on the softer side.
When 'MS'/ Sport is selected, the ride is supposed to be a bit stiffer with more responsive steering.
No other way to make that selection that I know of.

Last edited:
Pedal Commander