2015 Buick Encore - Trailer Wiring Harness

QuikTrip

2015 Buick Encore
I am trying to tow a Uhaul 5x8 trailer and am installing a hitch. There is a flat 4 connector by the spare tire in the trunk, can that be used to run the trailer lights or do I need to install a wiring harness as well?

If I do, does anyone know what wires are used for the L/R rear turn signals, brake and tail lights?

Last edited:

QuikTrip

2015 Buick Encore
If you find one let me know!!!

View attachment 24540
Thanks for the reply. The wiring harness I have looks like it needs to connect in at the wires going into the lights not the trailer connection wire. I downloaded the wiring diagram for the Encore. Does anyone know if the flat 4 that in already wired into the car can be used to go right into the trailer?

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
2016 Encore
Thanks for the reply. The wiring harness I have looks like it needs to connect in at the wires going into the lights not the trailer connection wire. I downloaded the wiring diagram for the Encore. Does anyone know if the flat 4 that in already wired into the car can be used to go right into the trailer?
This is the one I have in the spare tire compartment and appears to be the right one for a trailer. 20200730_174622.jpg

2017EP2Owner

2017 Encore Preferred ii
I installed a Curt #56216 vehicle wiring harness. It's a 4 wire flat connector system. No splicing, everything is plug and play with quick connectors. It also includes a separate power wire you need to run up to the battery. This provides direct battery connection to the trailer for power, so it doesn't tax your vehicle's lighting system.

Easy to install, took me about an hour, the longest part was running that power wire up to the battery.

The 4 flat wiring uses the industry standard for vehicle wiring.
White - Ground
Brown - Running lights (come on with headlights)
Yellow - Left turn/brake light
Green - Right turn/brake light

Important note. U-haul will not rent you any trailer for the Encore because it's not rated to tow. Doesn't mean it's impossible, but for liability reasons it's on a "not made for towing" list.

If you already have a harness in your trunk, then someone already took the time to wire up your car.

Hope this helps!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!