• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2015 Lacrosse Drain Holes?

300sflyer

Buick Ownership
Lacrosse
Hi folks,

I am wondering what the purpose is of these plugs? I am about to get the car rustproofed with Krown, and wonder if these plugs should be removed first?

Thanks for your replys!

Attachments

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
They are part of the manufacturing process of the rail and are then plugged at the factory. Krown should know whether their process requires removal and reinstallation.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
The rust-proofing process, they drill their own holes and plug but agree may use some existing. I’d be concerned about developed rust that will be covered over? Inside frame and all hollows. Right at jacking point is a drain hole, those should be maintained open, others in rails also.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
I never got the whole rustproofing thing, I'd rather invest my money in frequent car washes in the Winter.

300sflyer

Buick Ownership
Lacrosse
I tend to be believe in both, especially if you plan to keep a vehicle for 5 years or more. Krown or Rust Check definately helps keep vehicle cancer to a minimum.

300sflyer

Buick Ownership
Lacrosse
Had Krown applied yesterday. They pulled all of the plugs and sprayed inside the holes, which I was glad to see. :)

Bhodi's Buick

Lake Michigan's South Shore
Buick Ownership
'13 LaCrosse 303 HP V6
Thought Rustproofing ( Ziebart & Rusty Jones ) went the way of the Rotary Phone & Leaded Gasoline.

The Concept of drilling into steel, Creating holes, and Spraying a wet tar based Goop in an attempt to prevent an ongoing earth / time / air / natural oxidation process is just nuts.

Snake Oil - Aftermarket Post Sale Dealership Profiteering whilst actually creating entry points for the rusting process to more rapidly happen than normal.

Don't get me going on Paint Protection, Fabric Sheild, and VIN Etching...

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Why Do Cars No Longer Need Aftermarket Rustproofing? | Web2Carz Never gave it much thought as keeper gets put up every winter. What kills cars in ME anyways, had one car and hole rusted through top of gas tank, rear quarters repaired but that was under their rustproof warranty, so forth and such.

Back when they actually oiled down dirt roads we would squirt used oil in all the cavities we could find. Early ‘60’s recycling I guess, hmm.... Oil Spray Rustproofing

Last edited:

300sflyer

Buick Ownership
Lacrosse
To each his own....

All the vehicles I have owned for the last 20 years or so, I have had sprayed with Krown or Rust Check on an annual basis. IMO it has made a big difference. No body panels rusting out from the inside on any of them. When I eventually decide to sell them, I get top dollar.

My other current vehicle is a 2008 F350, that looks almost as good the day it rolled out of the factory. My neighbours 2011 F250 that has never been rustproofed, and has about half the mileage mine does, looks like a much older truck, due to the rear fenders starting to rot out. That's proof enough for me.

Pedal Commander