• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2016 Encore Heater Question

cile01

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Just started using the heater in my new 2016 Encore. After car is warmed up I turn on fan and adjust the temp knob. Nine times out of ten the A/C comes on when the fan is initiated. OK, so turn off A/C and continue. Then when parking car in garage, I turn the fan off before exiting so cold air doesn't blow in the morning. Next morning after warm up I again turn on fan but the A/C again comes on, even though I turned the vehicle off with heater on. Am I missing something? Why does A/C come on sporactically when vehicle was left with heater on, not A/C?

Mr Swingline

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Encore Premium
This is something GM has done across its vehicle lineup in any vehicle equipped with Auto climate control, in both my 2016 Silverado and my Wifes 2016 Encore if you switch the fan off then back on the system will automatically engage the A/C assuming ambient temps are above freezing 0 degrees Celsius or 30 degrees Fahrenheit and even if they are below that the A/C light will still come on but the compressor will not engage until temps are above freezing. Here is the reasoning:

People often assume A/C is only for blowing cold air, in actuality the A/C is really more of a dehumidifier, it removes condensation from the air and circulates dry air into the cabin, if you have the temp set to Hi (warm) it will still blow just as hot with the A/C on as it will with it off.

The Auto climate always wants to re engage the A/C every time the fan is turned on because along with temp sensors our Buicks also have humidity sensors and the climate control attempts to regulate the humidity using the A/C if you disable the A/C the system will still work using only the temp sensor but you may notice condensation form on the glass during longer trips.

Also if you put the vehicle in defrost mode the A/C will be running even if you turn off the A/C button.

Hope this clears up your question:)

cile01

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain in detail. Information was exactly what I was looking for and I learned something in the process. :eek:

KSDeputy

NE Kansas
Buick Ownership
Buick Encore
Mine is a 2014 Premium. I wish I could recall the temperature yesterday. I drove 3 miles before the heater started working. This has been the case all along with the small engine. In my Encore, the AC only comes on when I turn it on.

Last edited:

Mr Swingline

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Encore Premium
Mine is a 2014 Premium. I wish I could recall the temperature yesterday. I drove 3 miles before the heater started working. This has been the case all along with the small engine.
Yes I have also noticed the 1.4 Ecotec Turbo is a slower engine to warm up but that is primarily due to the iron block construction which is stronger but takes longer to warm up compared to an all-aluminium block engine which is used on the non turbo (2.4 liter) ecotec motors. As a general rule Iron block engines absorb heat slower but retain it longer compared to Aluminium block engines

TheAirman

Buick Ownership
2013 Encore Premium
This is something GM has done across its vehicle lineup in any vehicle equipped with Auto climate control, in both my 2016 Silverado and my Wifes 2016 Encore if you switch the fan off then back on the system will automatically engage the A/C assuming ambient temps are above freezing 0 degrees Celsius or 30 degrees Fahrenheit and even if they are below that the A/C light will still come on but the compressor will not engage until temps are above freezing. Here is the reasoning:

People often assume A/C is only for blowing cold air, in actuality the A/C is really more of a dehumidifier, it removes condensation from the air and circulates dry air into the cabin, if you have the temp set to Hi (warm) it will still blow just as hot with the A/C on as it will with it off.

The Auto climate always wants to re engage the A/C every time the fan is turned on because along with temp sensors our Buicks also have humidity sensors and the climate control attempts to regulate the humidity using the A/C if you disable the A/C the system will still work using only the temp sensor but you may notice condensation form on the glass during longer trips.

Also if you put the vehicle in defrost mode the A/C will be running even if you turn off the A/C button.

Hope this clears up your question:)
I agree and you are right. But I think this is just another goofy thing GM did to their "auto" climate control systems.

In all the other cars I have with an auto system, I am in control of when I want to run the air conditioning compressor. Not when GM wants me to run it. Why even have that little yellow "A/C" switch push button in there if doesn't even do anything?

If you select "auto" in the Encore, the blue "auto" light is on, plus the yellow "A/C" (snowflake) light comes on also. Now if you turn off the "A/C" (snowflake) light, it turns off the blue "auto" light, but the compressor continues to run even though you manually turned it off.

I know this because the other day it was nice and cool and I had the windows open but I could hear the compressor cycling on and off even though I manually turned the switch off.

The only real way to not have the compressor cycle in the Encore, in the summer or winter, is press "auto", then press the yellow "A/C' off, THEN choose a vent location manually, either foot well, center dash, or windshield. Then the only things that are in automatic are your fan speed, your temperature, and your outside air selection. The compressor will not run.

But sadly, if you do a remote start, it puts the whole system back into auto and you have to start the entire button selection over again to prevent the compressor from running on a 60 or 70 degree day with the windows open. Typical GM goofiness.

crakkus

Buick Ownership
Buick
Agreed, its a bit retarded. MY old mitusubishi had Auto and I could select the A/C on or off no problem.

Burttoast

Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Encore awd
Yes I have also noticed the 1.4 Ecotec Turbo is a slower engine to warm up but that is primarily due to the iron block construction which is stronger but takes longer to warm up compared to an all-aluminium block engine which is used on the non turbo (2.4 liter) ecotec motors. As a general rule Iron block engines absorb heat slower but retain it longer compared to Aluminium block engines

Burttoast

Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Encore awd
Thank you for explaining this as my 2017 is cold in the winter until driven a few miles,,, or sitting and warming up for 10 or 15 minutes

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
I haven't noticed any significant difference in warm up time between my HHR with 2.4 compared to the 1.4 in my wifes Encore, or the 5.3 V8 in the Sierra.