• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2016 Regal 2.0T vibration

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
Took my car back to the dealership today for a pretty strong vibration from the drivetrain. You can feel it in the brake pedal and floorboard. It’s worse with the A/C on so I assumed it was something with the engine and feared a pending piston issue. They had the car about 2 hours and checked the engine out and the entire drivetrain and couldn’t find the source. They’ve reached out to GM for a possible answer so I’m waiting on that. Anybody else experience this?

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Forgot to ask.... Does it feel like you have a lot less engine power ?
If gitty up power seems good, then a bad motor/trans mount is most likely the problem.

Other things that can cause this is a tire out of balance or a tire's belt broke. Could also be a half shaft, but not very likely.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I get that vibration too. The dealer said it's normal for a small engine trying turn the A/C compressor.

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
Should have mentioned that the vibration is strongest when stopped and in gear. I had a small vibration when in park but an ECM update solved that part. No lights, no loss of power that I can tell. The engine does seem to run out of breath if you push it to redline but looking at factory dyno charts that seems reasonable. They also inspected all of the mounts and found nothing wrong. If the tech was stumped enough he had to send all of his findings to GM then I’m guessing this is rare.

afireinside7710

A Regular
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS AWD
I think I have the same or similar issue. 2014 GS AWD. While in drive I have vibrations in the cabin (not jarring or intense, but noticeable). It does seem worse with the AC on. In park and in neutral, the vibrations are gone or at least severely lowered. Does that sound like what you are experiencing CoyoteEcotec?

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
I think I have the same or similar issue. 2014 GS AWD. While in drive I have vibrations in the cabin (not jarring or intense, but noticeable). It does seem worse with the AC on. In park and in neutral, the vibrations are gone or at least severely lowered. Does that sound like what you are experiencing CoyoteEcotec?
That’s exactly it. What’s your mileage? I’m only at 12k.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Should have mentioned that the vibration is strongest when stopped and in gear. I had a small vibration when in park but an ECM update solved that part. No lights, no loss of power that I can tell. The engine does seem to run out of breath if you push it to redline but looking at factory dyno charts that seems reasonable. They also inspected all of the mounts and found nothing wrong. If the tech was stumped enough he had to send all of his findings to GM then I’m guessing this is rare.
That's why I tuned my car, it pulls hard all the way to redline now. I experience the vibration with the A/C on when stopped in gear, that's really the only time I notice it. I asked the dealer about it because I thought my A/C compressor was failing but turns out it's normal.

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
That's why I tuned my car, it pulls hard all the way to redline now. I experience the vibration with the A/C on when stopped in gear, that's really the only time I notice it. I asked the dealer about it because I thought my A/C compressor was failing but turns out it's normal.
A tune is in my future for this car for sure. It’s a lil beast between 2-5k rpms but after that? Meh. There’s obviously power left on the table.

agaric

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
12k miles on my 17 and I'm not experiencing abnormal vibration even with the ac on.
We have 93 octane Shell here so that's what it gets.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I wonder is the timing chain guides are worn out and/or the chain tensioner is not doing it's job. This could give the chain enough slack to change the timing a little.
Even tho it seems ok under throttle. I've seen this happen, but there were codes set mainly because the chain jumped a few teeth. But under throttle engine felt and sounded normal.

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
I wonder is the timing chain guides are worn out and/or the chain tensioner is not doing it's job. This could give the chain enough slack to change the timing a little.
Even tho it seems ok under throttle. I've seen this happen, but there were codes set mainly because the chain jumped a few teeth. But under throttle engine felt and sounded normal.
Doubtful at 12k miles.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
What part of the dealer saying it's the A/C compressor straining the motor and it's normal don't you understand? Specially since the vibration gets worse when the A/C is running, that's the biggest clue to the issue.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
What part of the dealer saying it's the A/C compressor straining the motor and it's normal don't you understand? Specially since the vibration gets worse when the A/C is running, that's the biggest clue to the issue.
The part where the he feels the vibration with out the AC being turned on. Once the AC turns on it makes it worst, but the AC is no the cause of the vibration to begin with. Everyone's engine get a little more shaky when the ac compressor is running.

Pedal Commander