2016 Regal Android Auto / Intellilink Over The Air Update

BuickIsQuirky

Buick Ownership
Regal
Hi everybody!

I got my Regal last May, and was pretty stoked about the turbo, Android Auto, along with the wifi features. Unfortunately, the only feature that hasn't disappointed is the turbo! I've tried numerous times to get my phone to be displayed on the projection feature. Every time, it says that I need a supported USB device. My OEM Samsung cord, along with after-market have not qualified as supported. Then, my husband borrowed my car with his iPhone, and it worked without him even trying!

I've scoured the owners manual relentlessly, looked as hard as I could on Buick's website... Then, I got "4G internet" with On-Star, so I asked them about Android Auto, they pointed me to Buick. When I called the dealership, service transferred me to parts and parts referred me to a local stereo shop. I know I'm looking for an over the air update and that my software is currently 2015. I can't seem to get more answers than that.

BTW, I'm also really struggling with the Hotspot, but it's not my primary focus at the moment.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
There is no update available over the air. If your car is a 2016 model, you have to bring the car into the dealership to update.

Delton

Sacramento, California
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Regal GS AWD w/ Trifecta Tune Previously: 2012 Buick Regal Premium I
The update is around $90 and well worth it! I managed to get the dealership I bought mine from to do it before I buy it.

bugspop1

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Regal Premium I - 2.0L Turbo
I think when they're saying your USB isn't a Supported Device, it's looking for a Flash Drive with the Android Auto Update!
I really think your USB Cable it fine, especially since your husbands iPhone is working.

spazztic

Buick Ownership
2016 buick regal premium 2 turbo
Did you download android auto onto your device?
Are you using the usb port under the arm rest?
Try a different cable, it can happen
My 2016 aa works perfectly except for no wireless

BuickIsQuirky

Buick Ownership
Regal
Did you download android auto onto your device?
Are you using the usb port under the arm rest?
Try a different cable, it can happen
My 2016 aa works perfectly except for no wireless
Thank you. I downloaded AA on my phone. Tried 4 different cables and was using the port under the arm rest.

On Friday, I paid the dealer $152 for the update. Now I have it! It works perfectly! Except, when it turns my phone black and frozen. Or when it restarts my phone when I unplug it.

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
Thank you. I downloaded AA on my phone. Tried 4 different cables and was using the port under the arm rest.

On Friday, I paid the dealer $152 for the update. Now I have it! It works perfectly! Except, when it turns my phone black and frozen. Or when it restarts my phone when I unplug it.
Close all of your open apps except for AndroidAuto and your selected music app before plugging it into the USB. Too many open apps burden your phone and may interfere with it working properly.

BuickIsQuirky

Buick Ownership
Regal
That really sucks. I figured that was part of the problem. You see, I became insistent on getting this update to make my temp job safe. Until I find a new job, I'm working for Grubhub and Door Dash. Those apps are crazy dangerous while driving. You can't integrate them into AA, but with AA, I don't need to be messing with my phone every 2 minutes with GPS. Yet, AA makes the job harder cause I can't mark the food delivered or communicate with the customer upon arrival, until my phone turns back on/stops glitching.

spazztic

Buick Ownership

Weird. They charged you alot too, at least it's working though

Delton

Sacramento, California
Buick Ownership

Android Auto isn't perfect. I've had the black frozen issue occasionally. Unplugging it and plugging it back in usually fixes that. Not had any issues with it restarting my phone though...

bugspop1

Buick Ownership
I found out my Android Auto isn't working either.
I saw on a post started back in 2016 about Car Play / Android Auto, it showed a picture that Android Auto
should be in the List in Setting on my touchscreen.
When I checked, Apple Car Play was there, but no Android Auto.
I then went down and borrowed my sisters Android Phone (I have an iPhone).
Didn't matter what I tried, it wouldn't work!

I Purchased my Upgrade back in June.
I purchased the HMI and Radio Module using the Parts Numbers I was supposed to use.,
I don't think I understood it, I thought the $99.99 I paid was for the Car Play / Android Auto Upgrade.
The Parts in their List were parts from the later 2016 run and should have had the Android Auto Upgrade.
The $99.99 was evidently for them to reprogram the HMI and Radio Modules to work with my 2015 Specific VIN .

Now I'm going to have to remove the HMI and send it back in to be worked on!
That will really suck having to tearing my dash apart two more times!
Luckily I still have the Old HMI and can toss it back in so I'm not without!

I want the Android Auto to work because I'm considering going with a Samsung as my next phone.
My iPhone is about 3-4 years old (iPhone 7), still works okay except for the battery life, it is slowly dying!

spazztic

Buick Ownership
Android auto won't show up until you plug an Android phone in.

It will be called projection until connected, at least in my 2016 premium 2 regal

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
I found out my Android Auto isn't working either.
I saw on a post started back in 2016 about Car Play / Android Auto, it showed a picture that Android Auto
should be in the List in Setting on my touchscreen.
When I checked, Apple Car Play was there, but no Android Auto.
I then went down and borrowed my sisters Android Phone (I have an iPhone).
Didn't matter what I tried, it wouldn't work!

I Purchased my Upgrade back in June.
I purchased the HMI and Radio Module using the Parts Numbers I was supposed to use.,
I don't think I understood it, I thought the $99.99 I paid was for the Car Play / Android Auto Upgrade.
The Parts in their List were parts from the later 2016 run and should have had the Android Auto Upgrade.
The $99.99 was evidently for them to reprogram the HMI and Radio Modules to work with my 2015 Specific VIN .

Now I'm going to have to remove the HMI and send it back in to be worked on!
That will really suck having to tearing my dash apart two more times!
Luckily I still have the Old HMI and can toss it back in so I'm not without!

I want the Android Auto to work because I'm considering going with a Samsung as my next phone.
My iPhone is about 3-4 years old (iPhone 7), still works okay except for the battery life, it is slowly dying!
You should be able to upgrade the software without sending them the hardware. Either the Buick dealer can do it or you may be able to access the GM intranet for a fee.

Delton

Sacramento, California
Buick Ownership
You should be able to upgrade the software without sending them the hardware. Either the Buick dealer can do it or you may be able to access the GM intranet for a fee.

That's only true for 2016 MYs. 2014/15 have an older HMI module not compatible

bugspop1

Buick Ownership
I already Paid for a Service with White Automotive.
They want me to send it in so they can look it over and fix it!
I do have the Projection Icon and it Turns to Car Play Icon when I plug in my iPhone.
I just can't seem to get Android Auto to connect!

I've never had a an Android Phone, so I couldn't check it, I have an iPhone.
I am considering getting a New Samsung Phone, but if I can't get it to work
with the Android Auto I'll stick with my iPhone.

I tried following a couple Videos on Youtube for connecting an Android Phone.
I couldn't even get past the First Step in the Video, nothing came up on the Phone
or the cars Touchscreen pertaining to the setup.

I used my sisters Samsung, it has Android 10 (whatever Dessert it's called).
I read you need at least Android 9, if not you needed to use the Android Auto App.
She also had Android Auto on her phone!
But I still couldn't get it working.

Anyway, didn't matter what I tried couldn't get Android Auto to work.
Maybe I just don't know what the H3ll I'm doing, very possible?
Any Step-by-Step instructions someone could point me towards?
I am willing to try it again before tearing my car apart again!

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
I already Paid for a Service with White Automotive.
They want me to send it in so they can look it over and fix it!
I do have the Projection Icon and it Turns to Car Play Icon when I plug in my iPhone.
I just can't seem to get Android Auto to connect!

I've never had a an Android Phone, so I couldn't check it, I have an iPhone.
I am considering getting a New Samsung Phone, but if I can't get it to work
with the Android Auto I'll stick with my iPhone.

I tried following a couple Videos on Youtube for connecting an Android Phone.
I couldn't even get past the First Step in the Video, nothing came up on the Phone
or the cars Touchscreen pertaining to the setup.

I used my sisters Samsung, it has Android 10 (whatever Dessert it's called).
I read you need at least Android 9, if not you needed to use the Android Auto App.
She also had Android Auto on her phone!
But I still couldn't get it working.

Anyway, didn't matter what I tried couldn't get Android Auto to work.
Maybe I just don't know what the H3ll I'm doing, very possible?
Any Step-by-Step instructions someone could point me towards?
I am willing to try it again before tearing my car apart again!
If you see CarPlay in the settings but not Android Auto, it means you need the software update. Android Auto will not work until it is updated. Normally you don't have to remove the hardware. It can be updated via the USB or through the OBD socket. See the attachment.

Attachments

• MC-10113980-9999 (1).pdf
    430.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

bugspop1

Buick Ownership
I have a 2015 Buick Regal
Only the Later 2016 Models had Android Auto already installed, the Earlier 2016's didn't.
I purchased a NG2 2.5 HMI on Ebay from an Auto Motive Junk Yard.
I Also Purchased the Radio Module on Ebay from an Automotive Junk Yard.
I sent these to White Automotive to get the Programmed to my Vehicle's VIN.
The HMI and Radio Module I purchased were from the White Automotive Best Practices List.
This List is only from the Later 2016 GM Trucks and SUV's which should have had Android Auto Installed already!

I don't really want to pay more for something that should have already been installed on these Modules already.
I was very careful making sure I purchased the Correct Parts so I'd have Both Car Play and Android Auto, because I've been thinking about getting a Samsung Android Phone as my Next Phone.
White Automotive never checked to see if Android Auto Was installed, they just Reprogrammed for my VIN, Unlocked All Radio Features and installed the 2020 NAV Update.
White assumed that these parts already had the Update that they should have had (I'm not blaming White, I assumed they did too)!
They are willing to take and look and maybe fix it for me at no extra cost, but that involves me removing the
HMI and shipping it to them again.
Then I'll have the pleasure of Reinstalling it when it comes back!

I was hoping someone could tell me a different way to get this to work other than the things I'd already tried.
Tearing my car apart again isn't on my High Priority List, as Fall is almost here and my workload is growing by leaps and bounds.
This whole thing should have been a One and Done!

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
Email them a copy of the Service Bulletin and ask them to install the update on a USB drive, per the instructions. Then they can mail you the USB drive and you can install it yourself. Otherwise a dealer would have to do it and probably charge you around $100 for their time.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!