2016 regal Gs awd trans issue

Turboshawn

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Regal GS awd. 1987 Buick Grand National
The car won’t shift into 5th or 6th on the highway... (I drive on the highway a lot).. I have notice the trans temp climbs over 200 a bit also

Turboshawn

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
Guess nobody has ran into this issue.. does anyone know where the trans temp should be on the gauge during normal driving... I bought the car used so I have only had it for about a week. First few day it seemed to stay at 200 degrees on the gauge now it’s between half an 3/4 on the gauge so definitely over 200

agaric

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
What happens when your in manual mode?
Does it sound like it's trying to shift?
Since it's a 16 it should be in warranty unless it's got lotsa miles so the dealer would be a good idea.

Turboshawn

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
26k on it an it still is under warranty.. I am not a big fan of taking my car to the dealer.. they don’t fix anything unless it’s completely broken there useless an all these dealers today are hacks.. quicker they get it done the more they make.. just kinda wanted to know what temp the trans is supposed to run at an I can kinda narrow it down from there an to see if anyone have experience this. 200 is the middle of the gauge next bigger notch on the gauge is 250 even though it’s not marked an end of the gauge is 300 in the red it’s running about 225 degrees if I had to guess an that’s not good for an automatic. To me it should run around 200 plus or minus 10 degrees. If anyone has a GS an can tell me where there trans fluid temp is after the vehicle has warmed up... it would be much appreciated thanks.

Turboshawn

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
Oh an I was on the highway an manual mode wouldn’t let me shift into 6th either. Then kicked it down an it went into forth an then it wouldn’t shift into 5th or 6th... after I got home I let the car sit for an hour or 2 an went out lastnite for a spin to check it out again an it shifted fine but when I got off the highway... I am in pa had to pay a toll... it was Regina pretty high before it would actually shift an 2nd to 3rd had a flared shift... to people who don’t know what that is Iike it slides or slips into the next gear u get a delay then it catches the next gear

agaric

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
You obviously have a serious transmission problem.
Make an appointment with the dealer before you destroy the transmission.

Turboshawn

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
I’ll drive it til it breaks... I don’t want parts swapped in it.. an the trans taken out 2-3 times to swap parts.. i have seen other posts on here the dealers are parts changers.. they read a tsb or other issues on a data base that other techs have found an they guess an change parts... does anyone know if the GS has an external trans cooler of if it’s just lined into one of the end tanks of the rad really haven’t look yet

V-dub-R

Buick Ownership
Buick
I bet that transmission fluid is black, burnt and not cooling transmission any longer. The heat is the biggest killer of transmissions. I don't know if these cars have transmission dipsticks or not, but I would definitely drain the transmission, replace the filter if possible and fill it with fresh fluid. Have you checked the fluid level?

AMSOIL Auto & Light Truck Lookup Guide

Attachments

Last edited:

agaric

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
I’ll drive it til it breaks... I don’t want parts swapped in it.. an the trans taken out 2-3 times to swap parts.. i have seen other posts on here the dealers are parts changers.. they read a tsb or other issues on a data base that other techs have found an they guess an change parts... does anyone know if the GS has an external trans cooler of if it’s just lined into one of the end tanks of the rad really haven’t look yet
If you want it fixed for free then take it to a dealer. The warranty is usually good for a time/mileage period regardless of owner. That could of course be different.
If not then keep wasting time and money hoping for something else.

agaric

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
The heat you are seeing is a result of your transmission problem not the cause.

Turboshawn

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
trans has dipstick an it’s not black or burnt at all an the filter is internal on a gm 6t70 auto trans... the case has to be split to get to the filter. Idk how i am spending money because I haven’t spent a dime yet..

Turboshawn

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
I figured it out... Used my buddies snap on scanner... there was a code stored... p0700. So either solenoid or it could be a couple other issues I will report back after I get to the bottom of it... not to be rude or disrespectful to anyone but all the fluid or amsoil comment are simply useles which I use also on things I have..

Turboshawn

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
No offense but you guys can’t believe everything on the internet. I work on my cars I get dirty.. until I can see it or touch or know for certain what an issue is I don’t start changing fluids.. there no amsoil or magic fluid that’s going to fix a hard part problem.. so to anyone that wants to believe Lucas maple syrup or even amsoil will fix issue it won’t it’s all marketing.. now if you run amsoil before an issues pops up then maybe it will prevent somethings.. like cooler temps better shift but it’s not going to fix a slipping or broken trans

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
I work on my own stuff too but when I have a warranty I’m going to use it. P0700 just means there’s been a fault detected inside the transmission. It is nothing but a generic OBD-II code. It does not pinpoint a specific fault.

Turboshawn

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
I know the code is a generic code.. an it makes it harder for a tech at a dealer to pinpoint what’s wrong I don’t want them to guess an play parts changers.. I know what I am doing... it will go to the dealer eventually.. either driven there or by flat bed!

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
I know the code is a generic code.. an it makes it harder for a tech at a dealer to pinpoint what’s wrong I don’t want them to guess an play parts changers.. I know what I am doing... it will go to the dealer eventually.. either driven there or by flat bed!
They shouldn’t be just swapping parts. The only way a dealer gets paid for a repair is by replacing the actual failed part. Things that fail under warranty are sent back and inspected. They start throwing parts and they’re not getting paid. I’ve seen it happen more than once when I was working at dealerships. Your transmission denying shifts and slipping means it’s gone into failsafe mode. It’s saving itself from catastrophic failure.

Turboshawn

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
Yes I get that. I have an appointment at a dealer they didn’t seem to concerned about getting it in right away. They gave me an appointment for Monday the 8th told them everything that was happening. The issue is I don’t want the trans fixed because I know it’s been slipping so even if it’s a solenoid or valve body issue.. i know the clutch plates have taken a beating so I am sure you get where I am going. Let it break they can put a new transmission in it an I bet that’s what they will do.. it’s not just 6th or 5th that is slipping it flare shifts going from 2nd to 3rd an sometimes 1st-2nd so I know the clutch plates aren’t in good shape. It didn’t really do any of this when I took it for a 10 min test drive before I bought it.. first time I had an issue was when I was doing 70mph on my turnpike near my house an I didn’t go 70mph on the test drive... it is what it is the dealer can figure it out an we will go from there. I know a few people that work at the one I am taking it to

CoyoteEcotec

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal AWD T
Yes I get that. I have an appointment at a dealer they didn’t seem to concerned about getting it in right away. They gave me an appointment for Monday the 8th told them everything that was happening. The issue is I don’t want the trans fixed because I know it’s been slipping so even if it’s a solenoid or valve body issue.. i know the clutch plates have taken a beating so I am sure you get where I am going. Let it break they can put a new transmission in it an I bet that’s what they will do.. it’s not just 6th or 5th that is slipping it flare shifts going from 2nd to 3rd an sometimes 1st-2nd so I know the clutch plates aren’t in good shape. It didn’t really do any of this when I took it for a 10 min test drive before I bought it.. first time I had an issue was when I was doing 70mph on my turnpike near my house an I didn’t go 70mph on the test drive... it is what it is the dealer can figure it out an we will go from there. I know a few people that work at the one I am taking it to
Flare shifts every time or just when you’re hammering it? Mine flares on the 2-3 when you have the pedal to the floor if you short shift it. I assumed it was normal so I look forward to hearing what they tell you.