• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2016 Verano cabin noise, ride

Lawrence16

Buick Ownership
2016 Verano Leather Group 2.4
I've just recently purchased a 2016 Verano (Leather Group with a sun roof)) with the 2.4 engine from my local dealership. It's an attractive car with exquisitely comfortable and roomy front seats but I’m afraid I didn’t test drive it on as rough a terrain as I should have. After the purchase, I realized that it’s got a lot of cabin noise and it takes bumps in the road hard. The pitch of the cabin noise can change dramatically from asphalt to concrete on highways. All the reviews from 2016 agree that this car is slower than it should be (true) and it’s a gas guzzler for its size (true) but it’s supposed to be very quiet and absorb road noise like a larger sedan. I brought it back to the dealership’s repair shop and they aren’t really commenting on it much other than to say that it has low-profile tires and that the wheelbase is smaller than a standard sedan. My prior car was a 2008 Altima so I’m accustomed to a larger car, but I did sort of expect this 2016 to outperform an 11-year-old car on road cushioning. My question is…should this 2016 Verano ride this rough and noisy, or may there be a problem with tire balance or wheel alignment? The car has 22K on it, thanks.

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
It's likely the OEM Continental tires. I found mine to be very noisy and tire noise was the worst offender (compared to engine, transmission and wind noise).

Where are your tire pressures? Are they too high or too low? That might contribute to what you feel through the driver's seat. If they're correct, then have the balance and alignment checked.

My Continentals recently reached the end of their tread life at 40,000 miles so I changed them out for General Altimax RT-43s. What a difference, especially on concrete, where the OEM tires were the noisiest.

I find my Verano's ride firm but not jarring. The handling, however isn't stiff enough for my tastes. Research indicated the lower trims are 10-15 percent more softly sprung than the Premium trim. The narrow sidewalls are part of it but on the whole, I think my car rides well.

As for the reviews, the 2.4L models were slower than most competitors (except for the Cruze), the Verano was never advertised as an economy model like the Cruze. It was pitched to be a small, near-luxury car for those who wanted to downsize without losing the tech and safety goodies they had become accustomed to.

At 105.7 inches, the wheelbase is plenty long enough for a Class C vehicle, almost an inch longer than the '80s GM A-bodies.

Final point, your Verano isn't much different than the first-year models in 2012.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Ditto what Skylarkin said.

Concrete v/s Asphalt noise difference is almost definitely the OEM Continentals and of course check the Air Pressure.

The Verano was actually rated at the top of it's class for it's low interior noise and is noted as such in a lot of the reviews. My Verano in Premium Trim is the second most quiet vehicle I have ever owned. The first being a 1997 Buick Riviera.

As far as the "stiff" ride goes.... It is matter of personal preference, but what I think you are experiencing is that most of today's 4 door sedans, regardless of size and nationality, are adopting more of a sport touring handling and feel. Something more akin to a BMW or certain Mercedes. Ride in any of the new Cadillacs and you will find NONE that ride as smooth and comfortable as the older Deville(DTS) or Seville(STS) lines. But... In general the newer cars handle much better on turns and in emergency maneuvering along with more accurate feedback and steering for the driver.

Lawrence16

Buick Ownership
2016 Verano Leather Group 2.4
I meant to reply sooner but I cannot locate my (rather expensive) tire gauge. I must have misplaced it somewhere when I switched stuff around in our cars. The Buick online diagnostics is telling me that two tires on the right side are 34 psi and the two on the left are 35 psi. I did mention that to the Buick mechanic but he didn’t think that was enough to affect anything (but I’m a bit surprised they didn’t deflate them a bit just to shut me up). When I find my tire gauge (or buy another) I will check and see if it agrees with the online info. I’ll bring them down to 32 psi and see if it makes a difference.

I went by the Buick dealer’s on Sunday and looked at their Veranos and Regals and it seems the Continental tires were standard fare. I wonder how the car got such great reviews on its ride with Continentals?

I bought a 1995 Regal when it was new and also a 2004 Rendevous and both of them absorbed bumps and sound effortlessly. Perhaps the days of that waterbed-like cushioning are over.

I’m surprised the tires needed to be replaced at 40k? I guess I need to go spin some donuts in the parking lot and burn them up so I can get tires like the General Altimax RT-43s. That is assuming a 2.4 can get up enough speed to do that. I wish I had the Turbo. I was not really aware that that was an option (all three Veranos on the lot had 2.4s). I did buy a bit impulsively…which is unlike me.

Lots of great information and I’m hoping I get used to it for now. I gave the Altima to my daughter and if I take that out for a spin, I might get upset all over again.

Thanks so much for your responses!

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
If the sidewall # is less than 55 (as in 205/55R16), waterbed-like cushioning is, ahem, hard to find.

Continental must have won the contract to be Buick's OEM supplier but yes, 40K is a bit low. When you shop, look at more than the Generals. They worked for me but they may not be the best choice for you.

By the time you bought your Verano, there may not have been many turbos left. The last time I checked cars. com, most of the ones remaining had black leather interior.

Pedal Commander