2017-18 LaCrosse: Auto start stop?

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL, 2.4L
I posted over on the Regal Sportback forum and received some disquieting news: that the Auto Start-Stop (ASS, what an acronym!) can only be disabled on that car by putting the transmission in manual mode, and it comes back on when you shift back to D. There is an aftermarket plug-in that is supposed to disable it permanently; but having an insistent nanny under the hood wagging its finger at me until I can purchase and install said plug is not an attractive prospect.

Does the "new" (2017-2018) LaCrosse have this same setup?

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
As far as I know, the LaCrosse has not received an override button yet. One of the SUVs has it, and I would expect it to trickle down to the other vehicles in time.

The button is an override, and because of the way the emissions regulations are written the car has to have stop/start enabled by default. So you'll be hitting the button each time you get in the car. As far as I know the aftermarket plugin device is the only 24/7/365 solution at this time.

tombalas

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2016 Buick Lacrosse Leather
So happy I bought the 2016 model which didn't have such an annoying "improvement."

Benzadmiral

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL, 2.4L
So happy I bought the 2016 model which didn't have such an annoying "improvement."
I'm glad to hear that. I prefer the look of the new model, but the outgoing model is a beauty as well.

shrinkwrap

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I posted over on the Regal Sportback forum and received some disquieting news: that the Auto Start-Stop (ASS, what an acronym!) can only be disabled on that car by putting the transmission in manual mode, and it comes back on when you shift back to D. There is an aftermarket plug-in that is supposed to disable it permanently; but having an insistent nanny under the hood wagging its finger at me until I can purchase and install said plug is not an attractive prospect.

Does the "new" (2017-2018) LaCrosse have this same setup?
I couldn't figure out how to PM on this forum. Benzadmiral, check out my ad in the Classifieds for the start/stop module, which works perfectly, for $90 vs. $150. Please let me know if you're interested.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
I couldn't figure out how to PM on this forum. Benzadmiral, check out my ad in the Classifieds for the start/stop module, which works perfectly, for $90 vs. $150. Please let me know if you're interested.
Hover over the person's name, in the popup select 'start a conversation'.

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2007 Corvette Coupe, 2018 Cadillac ATS
In my ATS there is a button on the console that you have to press every time you get in the car to disable.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
You know, after all's said and done...... I was waiting in line at BJ's to get some fuel. No, not any lines per se here or anything but it's kind of an old people's fuel up w/10 cents off each gallon using their card(s).

So I'm waiting (only certain times) and I actually shut the engine off. Thought immediately of the auto stop and thought, now that would be handy. Moral of story is never say "never" I guess. Just as in my case it is changing a mindset. 👌

Last edited:

Robuk

Buick Ownership
no
Easy fix, disconnect the negative rail battery sensor, you then get NO stop/start and NO smart charging, a fully charged battery at all times, and it`s safe. You may get a EML on your car, just ignor it, I have the hack on my Merc and get no EML or battery light, been running it for around 6 months. :):)

If the smart alternator controller detects a system fault, the smart charging functionality will be disabled. DTCs set and the engine management and battery warning lights illuminated. Provided the fault is not within the alternator, it will still function conventionally with its output regulated to 14.75 V.

Cheve Cruze battery current sensor.jpg

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.