2017 Buick Auto light function (day vs. night)

intel1919

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 Encore
Hello all,

New member. Just bought a 2017 Encore for my daughter. On trip back from CA, blue sky (nice and bright), but am traveling east (sun behind us), at 1 PM (now).

Auto lights are on. Center console is in night mode. Put iPhone on with car play on, it too displays night mode (car play auto app displayed on center console moves back and forth between day/night mode too).

Turn auto lights OFF, console and car play move to daytime mode. Turn auto lights ON, back to night mode after a few seconds. Car turned toward west with more direct light, daytime mode activates.

Am I missing something dumb? Dimmer control works as expected to change illumination of center screen/other dash lights as expected. Obviously, either 1. Keep illumination setting to brightest as car seems to think it should be in night mode, or 2. Turn auto lights off.

Bad sensor on dash maybe?

Thoughts?

David Lopez Vargas

Garfield, NJ
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Encore Essence AWD w/ 153hp
I've been having the same issue as well. I'd like to guess that the sensor is dumb lol. But in reality it is a 1st year model and those are usually the ones with the issues. That's my guess to the issue. Maybe it's a recall. I'd check with your local dealer to see what they say.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
I've owned GMs almost exclusively my entire adult life. The automatic headlights have been a feature on most models since at least 2000 and the Caddy's had them many years before that. In other words this is a mature and reliable feature. What you describe is exactly how they perform on every GM I've owned that has them.

David, 2013 was the first model year.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
I have a 2013 Buick Verano with Auto-Headlights, and I don't like the way they work.
I basically turn them on and off myself and avoid the Auto function.

This is only the second vehicle I have owned with Auto Headlights.
The first was a 1997 Buck Riviera.
I don't recall having any issues with the Riviera and probably left them in Auto mode most of the time.

Auto Headlights are just another one of those features that I can easily (prefer?) to live without, and can't understand why they were ever needed. Just one more unnecessary option that can go bad.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
Actually I wish Auto Headlights were federally mandated. Far too many people forget to turn on their headlights. My wife got into a nasty front end accident some years back, $5000 damage to our HHR, because this guy didn't have his lights on (Toyota Camry) and she couldn't see him. Unfortunately no one else saw it so she could prove nothing. Thankfully no injuries to either driver.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
How did we ever drive at night before Auto Headlights....?

I just think people are so distracted today with cell phones and infotainment centers that they fail to learn or perform the very real task of operating a vehicle safely.

Here in Ohio, people are so used to auto headlights, that they forget or don't know how to manually turn on their lights when it is raining during daylight hours. Something that is actually mandated by State law. Same goes for heavy fog during daylight.

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
That distraction thing is a good point. One really cool feature our Sport Touring Encore has is when the wipers are on, the headlights turn on. I'm not sure if any of the other Encore models has that. Another thing that I think should be standard. In WI it's the law to have your headlights on if your wipers are on.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Illinois it's the law, but it's hard enough to get people to turn on there lights when it's dark LOL. The Auto Light problem for some models is the pickup sensor doesn't really have a "kinda" mode, so cloudy or perceived darkening it goes on but with a set delay before doing so. No percentage setting unfortunately, but if it's not working as designed or it's not mounted correctly it could create a issue for the owner.

Han

Buick Ownership
2017 Encore Preferred
Hi Intel1919 , you havent' mentioned the Trim level of the Encore, I was recently told by my friend that , in 2017 Encore Preferred , there is no sun sensor put in the vehicle to handle the AC and all light controls , like Auto , DRL to be in sync with Sun's direction ...

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Encore
I've had auto headlights for as long as I can remember and dont even think about the lights anymore. Never noticed them acting like they shouldn't, or maybe I dont pay enough attention to them. But they seem to work as they should on my new 18 Encore.

David Lopez Vargas

Garfield, NJ
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Encore Essence AWD w/ 153hp
I've owned GMs almost exclusively my entire adult life. The automatic headlights have been a feature on most models since at least 2000 and the Caddy's had them many years before that. In other words this is a mature and reliable feature. What you describe is exactly how they perform on every GM I've owned that has them.

David, 2013 was the first model year.
I was talking about 1st year model change for 2017 (since 2017 was a new body change)

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
I was talking about 1st year model change for 2017 (since 2017 was a new body change)
2017 was a face lift, not a body change. The drive train and overall electronics are pretty much the same. Minor changes are made every year. 2020 is a new body changeover.