2017 LaCrosse Build thread (GS tribute)

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
ShadenSun.jpg

My girl Sgaile (S-gah-Lee) which is a Scottish Gaelic girls name meaning shadow or shade, here sits alongside the convertible I traded. It was a long drive home from Ohio, but she showed her stuff on the West Virginia Turnpike. This car handles far better than its looks let on and she is truly worthy of Buicks GS sport car heritage. The Start/Stop is annoying and I will be contacting Trifecta very soon for some electronic improvements. The DoD is another item I don't really care for but I have to admit its operation was imperceptible and the 31mpg it delivered over mountain roads at 75mph was impressive.

A couple of questions for the knowledge base out there...the accelerator pedal feels like it has a detent to keep you from going to full throttle. Am I correct or is something amiss? If so, can it be eliminated?

I tried holding down the Cancel button on the Cruise Control but it doesn't switch to Standard Cruise. Was this option not available in 2017? If not, is it also true the radar sensor shoots through the front Buick badge? I plan to install a custom grill akin to the Avenir along with a different badge. Can the radar sensor be relocated or bypassed?

I do wish I could've found an example with the Brandy interior but I do adore the Dark Forest Green paint. I'm sure I can figure out some interior trim mods to follow the black/green/gold theme I intend to use.

I do hope this is the start of something amazing!

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
I previously posted this photochop in another thread but this is my inspiration. I think the John Player Special pinstripe theme is one of the timeless liveries out there and will go well with the Forest Green.

ShadowGS.jpg

Virtually all the GS models used a dual scoop hood treatment but since this car is out of production and no one makes an aftermarket hood anyway, I'll have to go with some kind of paint-matched scoop. The bond-on type might be cost prohibitive given the aluminum hood so it will have to be bolt-on or tape.

GSscoops.jpg

I also dearly love the GSX rear spoiler but the LaCrosse will need something a bit more sedate. I'm not opposed to a pedestal spoiler but it will have to flow with the lines of the car to really work.

1972-buick-gs-455.jpg

Has anyone else removed their factory exhaust finishers for rectangular tips?

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
For others like me who might consider a custom grill but have a problem with the radar sensor for Adaptive Cruise, I conducted an experiment. I covered the grill badge that the sensor “sees” thru with a piece of carbon fiber vinyl wrap. Then took her out for a highway test drive. I’m happy to report the ACC worked without a hitch. So if you want a different grille or logo up front, evidently vinyl doesn’t bother the radar sensor.
1BuickGrille.jpg

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
I was also considering removing the factory exhaust finishers in favor of a set of quad rectangular stainless tips...until I measured and was shocked to see they're a foot wide! I haven't seen any tips that wide and if they were out there, I think they would look overwhelming. So, I will be going up to 2.5 in exhaust pipe but it looks like the stock finishers will stay in place (not to mention they're riveted in place...not held with screws) Buick says, "Nay Nay, ye will not remove my finishers!" LOL
May be an image of car and outdoors

Comment

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
Just thought I share a few images of things I’m playing with for my GS Tribute project
😎
The dual inlet model from Mr HoodScoop should work. The size fits nicely and once it’s color-matched I think it’ll look right at home.
HS002scoop.jpg

Out back, the legendary GS-X had a killer rear spoiler but I want something a bit more subtle. The unit I have pictured here I had in my garage but the pedestals are way too tall. I think if I fabricated some one-inch stands, this flows well with the decklid shape. Again, this will be color-matched.
Spoiler1.jpg

Spoiler2.jpg

I also adore rear window louvers but strangely, I’ve never had a car with them installed. The piece pictured is a set for a Charger I originally intended for my Impala( which I need to shorten) but I think it will add an aggressive look here.

Louvers2.jpg

I'm also planning to vinyl wrap the chrome trim with satin black or carbon fiber, maybe touches of both. The gold accent wheels and pinstripes will be coming also
😎
🏁

Stay tuned as she comes together
👍

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
Since I'm planning on a John Player Special pinstripe theme, the badges/logos will need to be a gold-tone to go with the pinstriping. I worked up a few graphics to put to use.

I'm sure there are those here who recall "Happy the Hawk" from the Buick ad campaign of the 80s. I decided to give Happy a more modern makeover for possible back of side mirror decal and/or trunk badge
GoldHawk.png
The large badge in the grille will get a vinyl decal overlay and I wanted to keep a version of the Tri-Shield
GoldhawkBadge.png
Last, the traditional GS badge was always red colored, so I rendered a modern font for the trunk and lower corner of the grill. Badges on the doors behind the fender portholes will not have the "By Buick" second line of text.
GSbyBuick.png
I think getting the color of these decals/badges and the pinstripes to closely match will be crucial to give the theme a cohesive look. I don't want gold chrome or anything too brassy in appearance but it needs to be low-key enough to not jump off the Forest Green paint. Later this week I'm checking out a vinyl decal shop here in Richmond that does custom graphics...I'm hoping they can supply color matching striping as well.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
Flowmaster HP-2 to replace the resonator came yesterday, hi-flow 200 metallic cell cat came today, and FlowmasterFX mufflers for out back along with a new Y-joint scheduled to arrive tomorrow.
Chances are I'll have the new exhaust on in another week or so.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
I love Old Towne Petersburg as a backdrop for photo shoots. I typically take my cars down here for a quick session and that gives me a baseline before the mods begin. Makes for great comparison shots.

IMG_E2726.JPG
IMG_E2730.JPG
IMG_E2732.JPG

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
New exhaust is on and sounds great! Slightly louder than stock at idle, nice deep, mellow tone at part throttle, and a full-on GT sports car growl at full tilt. I also uploaded the baseline to Trifecta and expect to have the new tune installed next week.

She is coming along nicely and a joy to drive!

dapetik

Charlottesville, VA
Buick Ownership
none
New exhaust is on and sounds great! Slightly louder than stock at idle, nice deep, mellow tone at part throttle, and a full-on GT sports car growl at full tilt. I also uploaded the baseline to Trifecta and expect to have the new tune installed next week.

She is coming along nicely and a joy to drive!
Any clips of it?

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
I've tried to make a couple of clips but haven't been happy with the sound quality of the recording using my phone. Either the wind noise is overbearing or the recording itself is not as deep sounding as it is in person.
I also tried making a video of the interior sound (which is the part I love best) but again, the recording isn't capturing the true effect. Quite honestly, listening to the recording the car sounds stock...which it definitely is not! LOL

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
Installed the Trifecta tune yesterday but unfortunately, things didn't go as planned. The Auto-Start/Stop is still doing its thing and I'm getting a "service suspension system" alert in the dash. Tech support replied that they were looking into the problem and would be back in touch.

I also began the process of doing the chrome trim blackout with vinyl wrap. I'll be posting pics as I go. I also ordered an Avenir-style sport mesh grille that should arrive in a couple weeks. I sent out the trunk badge and fender portholes to be hydro-dipped with a carbon fiber finish.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
Trifecta tune installed today and WOW what a difference! Start/Stop is gone, throttle response is razor sharp, shift points are more aggressive and torque delivery is definitely UP! She drives like a true Gran Touring car now for sure. (Gran Sport here we come!)

GSsidebadge.png

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
I've sent off the side ports and trunk release button to be hydro-dipped in black carbon fiber finish. I've ordered the sport grille and my satin black vinyl wrap for window trim has arrived.
Also finally decided on a wheel/tire package, and went with JNC016 in gold/machined lip in 18x8.5 +30 w/Michelin Pilot Sport AS-4s in 245/50-18...should be here in a couple weeks.
I also purchased some modeling clay to shape a pattern for rear spoiler pedestals so they fit the shape of the decklid. The ones that came with the wing are way too tall.
Decal for the grille badge should be ready next week.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
Rough cut pedestals from ABS block for the spoiler. Shaping and sanding to come along with the attachment plates. Probably send them along with the spoiler for hydro-dipping in a dark carbon fiber finish.
IMG_2858.JPG

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
My custom decals for the wing mirrors and grille badge arrived today and they look great!
I've been looking at pinstripe tape to find colors that match as closely as possible. Can't wait to get these installed!
Decals.jpg

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Premium
Took advantage of a Memorial Day sale and grabbed my new wheel/tire combo. Happy with the bargain and they're shipping via truck already mounted and balanced ready to install.
I chose JNC-016 Gold w/machined lip in 18x8.5 +30
AA20B50C-E6EE-40A5-A1DA-BE091D242E0B.jpeg

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 tires in 245/50-18
Overall diameter is only 2mm shorter than stock 245/40-20
AB0357A4-3F84-4E21-B8E4-E4A8DFD90527.jpeg

Last edited: