2017 Misfire

site

17 Sport Touring
So i have been reading on the forums about misfires and it seems most appear to be from a damaged engine. I have yet to replace my coils and plugs which i do have.
Has anyone heard of any internal problems with the 17 models?
Going to really suck if its an engine problem being i haven't had the car for a week.

site

17 Sport Touring
no codes.
i changed the coils and plugs. Plugs are super black which indicates a rich mixture i believe. Miss is still there under low RPMs.
If there is nothing else to check, im going to have a compression test. car does have high miles 75k to be exact

MelsRegal

Staff member
Regal GS 2017
Did you check the fuel pressure regulator?

SilverSportNOLA

NOLA
2012 WDT Regal Turbo
Misfires should throw a code, which will lead you to which cylinder(s) they are occuring at. Sounds like yours is running rough. You apparently don't have a maintenance record with the car since you just purchased it so no clue if it has had oil changes regularly .... not more than 7500 miles but preferably closer to 5000 miles, and with a good synthetic oil like Mobil1.

What you are complaining about could be the Variable Valve Timing Solenoids. My car ran a little rough and boost not coming on smoothly when accelerating. I changed my solenoids which helped with the problem, then the coils and plugs a day later made it much better. That was the first time I change plug, coils, solenoids on this car and was a few weeks ago at around 80K miles, my car is 5 years older than yours, but I know the history since it had 6K on it.

Hopefully others will concur, I have the LHU engine, which is different than yours.

site

17 Sport Touring
it definitely feels like misfire at low RPMS, its a pretty rough jumping back and forth.
Ill look into the VVT Solenoids next. Just reading all these issues with engine failure starting off with a misfire has me super paranoid.

SilverSportNOLA

NOLA
2012 WDT Regal Turbo
But ... If I recall, almost all of those message threads stare with a misfire code on the OBDII and probably get the blinking check engine light while it is misfiring. Make sure oil is clean. Remember, car requires 91 Octane. You need to tame the car from the previous owners bad habits ... they may have been one of those fools who wouldn't pay for a tank of premium for every fill up 1 or 2 times a week and other maintenance when needed, but had no problem giving all that money and more on a daily basis without a second thought to one of those places for people that are too dumb to make their own coffee.

The solenoids don't give a code that I know of, but when you accelerate their seem to be a seeking time for the cams to adjust to the power called for. They are very easy to replace and they cost around $30 each for OEM Delco brand at RockAuto. Takes about 1 or 2 minutes to replace each and 45 minute to figure out how to disconnect the wires on the first one .... hahaha. On my engine the plugs are the same as those on the coils which might be easier to see.

site

17 Sport Touring
Thats true, they all did throw a code. i have had the car for 2 weeks now and run nothing but premium, the oil has been changed with Mobile 1.
I picked up the VVT solenoids from auto zone, so we will see what happens.

Doug01

Lesabre 2000
Hi, can you double-check if you have installed the spark plug wires accordingly?

SilverSportNOLA

NOLA
2012 WDT Regal Turbo
Yes .... that is why it also has 259HP and 295lb/ft TQ instead of 129HP and half the TQ. But the coil packs have wires that connect to them to power and fire them which have a plastic plug to connect them with lock that has to be handled a certain way to remove them without breaking them. On the LHU the same plug and lock is used on the coilpaks and solenoids, I am sure another LTG engine owner can confirm if it is the same ... so you can get a better idea of how to remove them by looking at the coils connectors.

Good luck.

SilverSportNOLA

NOLA
2012 WDT Regal Turbo
Didn't understand that from the message above my reply. Okay .... let us know if solenoids make the difference, it did with mine.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!