• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

2018 Buick Regal maps update

zavic

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Sportback
Hi there!
I suppose my question will be strange to the audience out there but...
I'm from Europe and owning Buick Regal Sportback 2018. Unfortunately there is only US maps in Nav System (IO6) Intellilink 2,5. Opel and Buick use one charts provider - HERE. I consulted with them and they didn't help me a asked to go to the dealer..but we dont have Buick dealers in Europe..only Opel ones.
I'd like to ask if someone knows if I can install USB stick EU maps from Opel store? I think it should be ok?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I would think an Opel dealer might be able to help you out, but you may also want to reach out to White Automotive. They are able to reprogram clusters, so maybe they can do head units as well.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Isn't EU using Galileo?
I am wondering if the Buick antenna is also capable of using other satellite navigation signals.
Last time I checked, Galileo uses different frequency comparing to GPS.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You may want to check with this company as they are the ones who are actually doing the maps, they may know more than GM on compatibility.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
Easy to find out if it can do the EU put in a EU address. As far as the GPS Garmin, TomTom etc US models work in the EU but they need to have the EU maps. The issue on getting the GM EU maps is the sale is based on vin# and if the map software for the EU would be compatible with the US version software OS in the Regal which is why I mentioned going to Here as they do the software maps.

zavic

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Sportback
You may want to check with this company as they are the ones who are actually doing the maps, they may know more than GM on compatibility.
Hi, thanks you all for assisting!
Surely, I contacted the HERE's EU office and they say that they are not able to help me with this issue: quote "Here has no further solution for such cases as EU map updates only work in European made nav systems. This is mainly due to software and region differences between EU and North America systems".
Why we all have google maps in phone with world wide coverage for free and should pay for car navigation for each region?? very strange

zavic

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Sportback
Isn't EU using Galileo?
I am wondering if the Buick antenna is also capable of using other satellite navigation signals.
Last time I checked, Galileo uses different frequency comparing to GPS.
OnStar also doesnt work in my Buick. GPS - global positioning system, it should work everywhere. There several satellites with which system exchnages signals : Indian satellite, North America satellite, etc... maybe the car GPS system is linked to North America satellite and not with EU based satellites..that's why GPS is not working

mitchflorida

South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Hi, thanks you all for assisting!
Surely, I contacted the HERE's EU office and they say that they are not able to help me with this issue: quote "Here has no further solution for such cases as EU map updates only work in European made nav systems. This is mainly due to software and region differences between EU and North America systems".
Why we all have google maps in phone with world wide coverage for free and should pay for car navigation for each region?? very strange
Don't tell anyone, but Android Auto and Carplay have made GM's Navigation pretty much obsolete.

zavic

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Sportback
I would think an Opel dealer might be able to help you out, but you may also want to reach out to White Automotive. They are able to reprogram clusters, so maybe they can do head units as well.
I made a call to Opel dealer and they sale that they are not able to help me with that issue.

zavic

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Sportback
Don't tell anyone, but Android Auto and Carplay have made GM's Navigation pretty much obsolete.
Agree, I use android auto of course, but the disadvantage is that on long distances the phone is always connected and the battery becomes pretty overheated

mitchflorida

South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Agree, I use android auto of course, but the disadvantage is that on long distances the phone is always connected and the battery becomes pretty overheated
It might be time to buy a new cellphone.

Last edited:

zavic

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Sportback
@zavic Would you be willing to share your story as to why/how you have a Buick in Europe?
Hi, sure I can
First, we are not so wealthy to pay 30000 EUR for new car if there is a chance to buy it in auto auction (Copart) slightly damaged and then fix it..
So I bought it on Copart with rear end damage for 7000 $. Then, it was shipped in container to the port of my country. I received it safely, paid customs clearance fee, bought rear bumper, rear stop light and fender from opel (the body spares taken from Opel fit exactly Buick), fixed and painted...so I have a new car for twice less price comparing to new Opel cost.

You can check picture from my repair shop.

Attachments

• repair.jpg
    repair.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

zavic

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Sportback

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
It was a longshot but considering that trying to swap out a EU Opel head unit, assuming that the radio in the US vehicle may be useless, aftermarket might be the only other option if any. Best of luck on getting to a solution for the vehicle.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Not related to my issue. The phone when connected to Android auto via USB cable is continuously charging and battery is overheated... :)
When it hits 100% charge it is supposed to stop charging. I have my phone charging 9 to 10 hours a day with no problem.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Sorry to be pessimistic but purchasing a car built for the North American market may prove problematic down the road with any component that relies on a software/hardware interdependence such as PCM updates that a dealer would normally perform.

zavic

Buick Ownership
Buick Regal Sportback
Sorry to be pessimistic but purchasing a car built for the North American market may prove problematic down the road with any component that relies on a software/hardware interdependence such as PCM updates that a dealer would normally perform.
Hi! Happy New Year!
I don't think so..
You can purchase MDI and update all software you like even down the road though internet, web base tis2web service. And I have not ever heard about software failer in new cars..its not possible. It like re-install windows on PC, I use my PC about 5 years and I never did it..
Also I coped to find some not official service station which can perform K74 HMI (Human Machine Interface) navigation programming, change language and radio programming. As to radio = it works good, only some stations do not work properly in EU.

Foxbat

Michiana
Buick Ownership
2018 Quicksilver Regal Sportback Essence AWD
Hi, do you mind if I hijack this thread to ask if anyone with a red-needle Regal has done the HERE North American Map update? My wife got a letter for a "deal" of $99 delivered for the latest Navigation Maps for NA. I just ran the update earlier today and when trying out the confirmation procedure in the Instructions that came with the USB thumb drive, I could not find the Subway in Detroit, MI at 7300 Michigan Ave. I just checked with Google and it knows it's whereabouts.

So, I put the HERE thumb drive in my computer and in the About.txt file, it says it is the NA 19Q4 update. I check the Shipping Invoice and it has NA 19Q4 on the paperwork. Looking at the Slipcase it came in, it is labeled "2021 Navigation System Map Update" with a part# that matches the part# on the thumb drive. The version # on the thumb drive (84990634) is the same as the Buick reports in the Software Information screen. So, I was sent the 2021 update which doesn't have any Navigation Updates from 2020 on it.

I've opened an inquiry to HERE, but I was wondering if anyone else here has paid for the Maps Updates and what did they get?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!