• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

2018 buick regal sportback

Granny12

Buick Ownership
2018 regal sportback essence
I have a 2018 Buick regal which has acted up a few times. My husband was driving and we had just pulled out from a complete stop when the steering wheel starting shaking/vibrating and the front end started shaking. He immediately was able to pull off the side of the road., he got out and inspected tires and everything was ok. We started back on our trip and it ran fine. The 2nd time this happened a few months later we had just went over a railroad track, not rough.. and the car did the same thing. We took it to buick dealer and they replaced the front arms. The car ran fine no issues but after 2 weeks we were at a complete stop and went to move forward and the car make a huge clunk from the middle to the the right side of the car. The car now just vibrates while moving down the road, but this doesn't happen all the time. It is back at the Buick Dealer again and the tech called and said he cannot find anything wrong. I thought with the the loud noise/clunk that something would show up during the inspection. Anybody have issues similair?

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Does the vibration occur only at a certain speed?
Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or more in the seat?

Granny12

Buick Ownership
Does the vibration occur only at a certain speed?
Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or more in the seat?
no it happens at all speeds. I was just driving through a 35 mph zone and it did it then. no bumps, The vibration is in the steering wheel, but last week I noticed I had something on the passenger seat and it was really vibrating

RETLAW

Buick Ownership
Regal
Foam in tires pack to one side? Unbalanced tires can sometimes shake at all speeds if they are bad enough. Just a thought.

ZB Commodore Owner

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
2019 Holden ZB Commodore RSV Liftback 3.6 AWD
Sounds like it might be a half shaft or CV joint problem, but without more detail it's hard to tell. Is it like an unbalanced tyre or more like a shudder like the ABS operating?

I think the traction control on the front wheels is done by applying the brakes to the spinning/slipping wheel. Perhaps the ABS/ traction control is operating on one wheel when it shouldn't be. Perhaps a faulty or loose sensor?

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
Sounds like it might be a half shaft or CV joint problem, but without more detail it's hard to tell. Is it like an unbalanced tyre or more like a shudder like the ABS operating?

I think the traction control on the front wheels is done by applying the brakes to the spinning/slipping wheel. Perhaps the ABS/ traction control is operating on one wheel when it shouldn't be. Perhaps a faulty or loose sensor?
That’s a good guess. I’ll second the idea of faulty traction control. Turn off traction control and see what happens.

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
The first place I would start is to have the tires and wheels inspected. It's possible that one of the tires has a broken belt. Do you have the factory Continental ProContact TX tires still on the car? Those tires when equiped with "Conti-Silent" have problems with the internal foam becoming detached. Either way, I would go to the dealer and ask them to roadforce balance the tires.

If the dealer still can't find anything wrong, I would have them rotate the tires that are on the front to the rear and see if the vibration changes. That will eliminate a tire problem.

I would also recommend looking into other dealers. Your car is under warranty, so it is up to general motors to fix the issue.

Granny12

Buick Ownership
My husband did think it might be related to abs system. He did try turning it off to see if it would remedy the situation. The last time this vehicle acted up going over a set of railroad tracks, my husband tried turning the abs off and it did not help much. It took a little bit to get the car back in sync from the vibration. Just had the vehicle at my buick dealer again for 3 days. They could not get the car to duplicate the issue but tightened up a nut according to specs. Supposedly was not in spec from factory. I have not driven the car much since getting it back from the shop a few days ago. stay tuned.. Thanks to everyone for any ideas.. my idea is to try another dealer, but that is almost 70 miles away..

thesyguy

In the wind
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
My husband did think it might be related to abs system. He did try turning it off to see if it would remedy the situation. The last time this vehicle acted up going over a set of railroad tracks, my husband tried turning the abs off and it did not help much. It took a little bit to get the car back in sync from the vibration. Just had the vehicle at my buick dealer again for 3 days. They could not get the car to duplicate the issue but tightened up a nut according to specs. Supposedly was not in spec from factory. I have not driven the car much since getting it back from the shop a few days ago. stay tuned.. Thanks to everyone for any ideas.. my idea is to try another dealer, but that is almost 70 miles away..
Whatever he was turning off, it was not the ABS. It cannot be turned off.

ZB Commodore Owner

Hamilton, New Zealand
Buick Ownership
2019 Holden ZB Commodore RSV Liftback 3.6 AWD
Foam in tires pack to one side? Unbalanced tires can sometimes shake at all speeds if they are bad enough. Just a thought.
If the mechanic cannot find anything and there's no fault codes then perhaps unbalanced tyres could be the problem.

Does the vibration occur at slow speeds, say less than 15 to 20 mph? Tyre imbalance vibrations can come and go a various speeds but would be unlikely to be observed below 20 mph.

I think your comment about it starting after driving across train tracks is a strong clue. The vibration caused by this is triggering something. May be loose sound deadening foam in the tyres or a loose sensor or loose connection to a sensor.

Granny12

Buick Ownership
Tires and Rim checked out ok. I went over a rough road yesterday and the car started vibrating again. I slowed down and eventually something "got back in sync" and the car acted normal. I'm just afraid that sometime everything won't get back in sync, especially when I'm out of town.
Calling the dealer again 3x and asking to check cv joint or traction control... faulty sensors perhaps.?

Granny12

Buick Ownership
Whatever he was turning off, it was not the ABS. It cannot be turned off.
sorry... i meant the traction control...

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
I have had a somewhat similar issue that I've been chasing over a year now.... Dealership can never duplicate. It's something in the front passenger wheel or suspension but they always say everything looks good. Good luck getting to the bottom of it. I've taken it in probably 6 times to no avail.

Granny12

Buick Ownership
I have had a somewhat similar issue that I've been chasing over a year now.... Dealership can never duplicate. It's something in the front passenger wheel or suspension but they always say everything looks good. Good luck getting to the bottom of it. I've taken it in probably 6 times to no avail.
Thank you,, it is just so irritating.. The last visit to the dealership the car was driven by an employee and the car did act up, but the tech wasn't with the driver and they could not get it to duplicate.. It's frustrating . Surely as bad as it acts up before it gets back in sync you would think something would show wear or something.,

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners