2018 Envision sunroof problems

G-549529

We had to have our sunroof replaced two months ago because it got stuck open. Roof glass (both pieces), frame, motors, switches, wiring and sunshade ended up getting replaced. Took the service guy 27 days, we had no car. Got it back and hadn’t dared open it, trust issues. This morning came out to find the roof open with the sunshade closed, neither myself nor my wife had opened it, and when we got in the car, started it and pushed the roof close button nothing happened. We pressed the open sunshade button and it opened all the way but when we pressed the close button it would only close half way and stopped under the open roof. Wtf? Has anyone had any similar problems with 2018 sunroofs?

Bloomd15

Buick Ownership
Envision
We had to have our sunroof replaced two months ago because it got stuck open. Roof glass (both pieces), frame, motors, switches, wiring and sunshade ended up getting replaced. Took the service guy 27 days, we had no car. Got it back and hadn’t dared open it, trust issues. This morning came out to find the roof open with the sunshade closed, neither myself nor my wife had opened it, and when we got in the car, started it and pushed the roof close button nothing happened. We pressed the open sunshade button and it opened all the way but when we pressed the close button it would only close half way and stopped under the open roof. Wtf? Has anyone had any similar problems with 2018 sunroofs?
We are currently having the same issue with our sun shade. We were able to get the sunroof closed by touching the button half way quickly and closing it about a half an inch at a time. The dealer couldn't fix it and they called Buick Technical Assistance. What a joke that department is. They told me be rest assured our team is working on the issue and will find a fix. In the meantime we are sorry for the inconvenience. The car has 22,000 miles. They didn't try replacing anything on my car, just said it was a programming issue. Now I have to sit and wait for Buick to come up with a fix...Time Frame, oh yeah, they couldn't tell me a time frame or whom was actually working on it, but rest assured we are doing everything we can. BS - Technical Assistance just washed their hands of the issue and now I am back to the dealer. I will never buy another Buick...This is after owning 4 of them. When did this happen to yours? Why haven't they found a fix yet?

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You didn't buy a Buick already it's a SAIC-GM, maybe say that you won't buy another Chinese built automobile.

Bloomd15

Buick Ownership
Envision

Bloomd15

Buick Ownership
Envision
Same thing happened to us after it was fixed once. Our Envision is now in the shop for a second time, but Dealership can't get the parts. Talked to Customer Assistance, that department is the worst. All they say is talk to the dealer, they have the info. Customer assistance doesn't have a clue with what is going on. They get their info from the dealer. That is Backwards to me. No assistance was received. Car is still in the shop after a week of waiting for parts.

rxd1819

Buick Ownership
Envision
My Buick Envision is having the same moonroof issues. Opened, then won't close. When I press the button, it attempts to close, only moving a little, then completely stops! The sun shade closes, but not the glass.

Dankwest

Buick Ownership
2018 Envision
I have a 2018 Envision and am in the midst of having the sunroof motor replaced. I have no idea how the "sunroof/moonroof" opened by itself, but I discovered it was open after two days of rain. Of course it's out of warranty by 2000 miles. The entire headliner had to be removed to access the burned out motor which is located in the rear of the car vs under the overhead console (which would be soooooooo much easier to access). My issue is that I have NO idea how or when it opened, and after I replace the motor, can I expect it to happen again down the line? Anyone having similiar issues??

Christy444

Buick Ownership
2016 Envision
2016 Envision moonroof stuck open,

I have loved my Envision so far, it’s a 2016 with full sun/ moon roof. It became stuck open about 3 weeks ago, we ordered a new switch and luckily have a garage to park in and another vehicle to drive. The switch didn’t fix the issue, now checking if under extended warranty I bought. It has just 88,600 kilometres on it. What have these repairs cost you folks? I miss driving my Buick, it’s been weeks with rain in forecast most days or highway driving where I can’t have a wide open roof!

a few other quirks with my Buick, senses imaginary accidents sometimes (way to get the heart rate up) and tells me to service Park Assist, does this thing really park itself? I’ve never used this function.

thanks all would love to know what my sunroof might cost, it’s my first car fully loaded. I was always nervous of the fancy stuff for this very reason before.

Dankwest

Buick Ownership
2018 Envision
2016 Envision moonroof stuck open,

I have loved my Envision so far, it’s a 2016 with full sun/ moon roof. It became stuck open about 3 weeks ago, we ordered a new switch and luckily have a garage to park in and another vehicle to drive. The switch didn’t fix the issue, now checking if under extended warranty I bought. It has just 88,600 kilometres on it. What have these repairs cost you folks? I miss driving my Buick, it’s been weeks with rain in forecast most days or highway driving where I can’t have a wide open roof!

a few other quirks with my Buick, senses imaginary accidents sometimes (way to get the heart rate up) and tells me to service Park Assist, does this thing really park itself? I’ve never used this function.

thanks all would love to know what my sunroof might cost, it’s my first car fully loaded. I was always nervous of the fancy stuff for this very reason before.
Good luck! I'm on motor #2 in my 2018. Not sure if its the same for 2016, but the entire headliner had to come out to access the sunroof motor (which then failed two weeks later).

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Dankwest

Buick Ownership
2018 Envision
My Buick Envision is having the same moonroof issues. Opened, then won't close. When I press the button, it attempts to close, only moving a little, then completely stops! The sun shade closes, but not the glass.
Any updates?

Christy444

Buick Ownership
2016 Envision
Good luck! I'm on motor #2 in my 2018. Not sure if its the same for 2016, but the entire headliner had to come out to access the sunroof motor (which then failed two weeks later).
May I ask what this repair costs? And twice 😖 that’s awful

Maura

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Envision
Today I got in my 2019 Envision and the sunroof was open. It has rained here for 4 days so I know I didn’t open it! I tried closing it and nothing. Will be at the service desk when they open tmr. My lease is up in 6 months and thought about getting another. Now I’m wondering if I should steer clear of Buick’s because I want a sunroof.

maggielupo

Buick Ownership
2017 Envisions
My 2017 Buick Envision sunroof was opened this morning when we came outside. hasn't been opened in months.No one in our area seems to have any information for us. We will try to have the resistor switch replaced.

maggielupo

Buick Ownership
2017 Envisions
My 2017 Buick Envision sunroof was opened this morning when we came outside. hasn't been opened in months.No one in our area seems to have any information for us. We will try to have the resistor switch replaced.
Update- the mechanic we took it took it to said a new relay switch was what the scan read. We overnighted a new relay switch and he replaced it. The sun roof still won't close. The code has cleared and the scan tool reads that the sunroof has closed but it won't budge. He isn't sure how to over-ride the system. I will return the vehicle to him Wednesday. This will be 10 days without my car. We live in Western NY. No driving with a sunroof wide open comfortably. I love this car- it drives beautifully in the snow. It handles well no matter what. It has 39,000 miles on it and I don't use the sunroof very often. I have a dreadful feeling it's a computer problem.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners