• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2018 regal sportback cabin air filter location/replacement

we10atc

Buick Ownership
regal sportback
I have a 2018 regal sportback and was looking to change the cabin air filter does anyone have information on replacement. cannot find anything on you tube as to the location of it or replacement

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
I'd like to know the same thing on the Tour-X. I think it's behind the glove box, but how do you drop the glove box to get to the filter?

That being said, I no longer think about, or worry about changing the cabin filter. Years ago, I had a Continental whereas the filter was in front of the windshield, under the air intake. Car had 85,000+ Miles and never had cabin filter changed. (A/C and heat worked fine). Decided I'd check it out so I found and removed it. Yes, it was dirty and loaded with leaves. Shook it clean, then vacuumed it. Replaced it back. Never worried about replacing (or paying for replacing it).

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Dropping glove box is pretty simple - there are plastic clips located on the inside "ceiling" of the glovebox (which act as retainers). Push the glovebox in a bit, and push the clips above the rear wall of the glovebox. There is also a damper on the left side - of which the arm slides off the pin (pin is affixed to glove box). The glove box bin will drop straight down.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Replacing the cabin air filter after a year is a bit too soon if you ask me. According to the owners manual it should be replaced every 22,500 miles.

ready2fly

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
What about engine air filter? Is K&N 33-5049 the only option we have for high flow aftermarket filter? It needs to be oiled and it costs $60. I had Upgr8 aftermarket dry filter in my previous Scion and it was just $10, but it worked as good as K&N.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
What about engine air filter? Is K&N 33-5049 the only option we have for high flow aftermarket filter? It needs to be oiled and it costs $60. I had Upgr8 aftermarket dry filter in my previous Scion and it was just $10, but it worked as good as K&N.
I went through a K&N phase in 2004. I also don't notice any advantage to using them. I've since been using Wix or other cheap alternative. As long as it fits and is durable enough, it works for me.

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
Replacing the cabin air filter after a year is a bit too soon if you ask me. According to the owners manual it should be replaced every 22,500 miles.
To each their own. We have really bad pollen around here, so I do mine annually in my cars. Haven't tackled the TourX yet, but when I do it I can create a how-to post.

ready2fly

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
I went through a K&N phase in 2004. I also don't notice any advantage to using them. I've since been using Wix or other cheap alternative. As long as it fits and is durable enough, it works for me.
I would agree, but I did notice a significant difference when I installed high flow aftermarket engine filter in my previous car. Sure it was a weak 1.8 liter Scion, so I wonder if it makes any difference on our cars. If K&N is good for ~50,000 miles, it is worth the investment. OTOH, those filters probably cost around $3 to manufacture, so they are making a huge profit.

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
...but disconnect the battery before going any further--there's an airbag mounted under the glovebox.
Reviving this thread because I'm due to change out my cabin filter but a little concerned by this statement. How would moving the glove box and cabin filter affect that airbag?

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Just a reminder to error on the side of caution.

There are four airbags (explosive devices) mounted in the dashboard (5 if you include the steering wheel), and there is a human tendency to think that 'airbag' means steering wheel and since you're not doing anything with that, there isn't any problem, even though if you are asked, you will say there are multiple airbags in the car. When I was removing the HMI module (behind the glove box) I was wondering what that long metal box was just underneath the opening was; likewise when installing the sport pedals. And since your face is just a few inches away...well, it takes less than 30 seconds to disconnect the battery.

Johnny Bravo

Buffalo, NY
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
Dropping glove box is pretty simple - there are plastic clips located on the inside "ceiling" of the glovebox (which act as retainers). Push the glove box in a bit, and push the clips above the rear wall of the glovebox. There is also a damper on the left side - of which the arm slides off the pin (pin is affixed to glove box). The glove box bin will drop straight down.
Thanks for the only simplified answer from a guy who knows his stuff. The box can be dropped down in about 60 seconds without tools. The cabin air filter is directly behind and requires releasing 2 tabs on the sides, again without tools! Believe it or not a Buick dealer told me it takes about 45 mins. I looked at him and said seriously, to the service manager. Do you still scare consumers with that tactic? I, of course, will never reveal my knowledge base to any dealer in an effort to see if they are being honest with me.

Last edited:

Johnny Bravo

Buffalo, NY
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS
Remove the glove box:
1. Remove the screws
2. Pull the glove box to disengage the clip
3. Remove the glove box

View attachment 17102

Remove the Filter:
1. Remove the filter compartment door screws
2. Flip down the door
3. Remove and replace the filter

View attachment 17103
Your first picture is incorrect for a 2018 Buick Regal. There are no screws to be removed. See thread No 4 for proper removal. Picture of filter replacement is however right on.

Pedal Commander