• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

2018 Regal Sportback K&N intake installed

EyeSpy

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Hey all, after searching the forum and comparing motors and fitment between the 2018+ Regal 2.0T and the 16-18 Chevy Malibu 2.0T I couldn’t see any reason why the K&N intake for the Malibu would not partner up with the Regal 2.0. I decided to give it a go and purchased the intake. Very simple install, about 20 minutes, start to finish. Fitment was exact and it clears the hood. I already have the basic Trifecta tune and spoke with Michael to ensure the intake would pair without having to upgrade to the advanced tune. With all that being said I am extremely pleased with the results. The sound is amazing and sounds like an aftermarket BOV was put on. I have a couple videos of the sound from inside the car but it will only let me post pictures. I am going to have a shop build me a catless downpipe and full exhaust which will require the advanced tune but that will have to wait until after Christmas. The K&N part I ordered was 63-3097 in case anyone is interested.

Attachments

• E74A5FE4-F80F-4B86-A2E4-81EF6C874286.jpeg
    E74A5FE4-F80F-4B86-A2E4-81EF6C874286.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 69D046B9-C05D-4883-9D17-145DA9F722BC.jpeg
    69D046B9-C05D-4883-9D17-145DA9F722BC.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 504F19FB-1CC5-4A11-B064-B4C74AFBF478.jpeg
    504F19FB-1CC5-4A11-B064-B4C74AFBF478.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 128
  • 873964ED-6C67-418A-8B5F-539D5A498429.jpeg
    873964ED-6C67-418A-8B5F-539D5A498429.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 120

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I am going to have a shop build me a catless downpipe and full exhaust which will require the advanced tune but that will have to wait until after Christmas. The K&N part I ordered was 63-3097 in case anyone is interested.

Catless? You going to be off road only?

carsrmilife

Brighton, MI
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX

That's really only for people that have to worry about inspections. For those of us in states that don't have them, it's just for advertising legalities sake. That's my take anyway.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
That's really only for people that have to worry about inspections. For those of us in states that don't have them, it's just for advertising legalities sake. That's my take anyway.

I'm in a no-inspection zone (Albuquerque and Santa Fe have the "sniff-test") but our local custom muffler shop that does lots of loud bro-dozers and old muscle cars has a sign affixed prominently near the register that says: "Don't Ask Me to Remove Your Catalytic Converter and I Won't Ask You to Pay a $2,500 Fine."

FWIW.

EyeSpy

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback

Yes off-road only. The smog that I will expel when I’m off the road is so much different than the smog I would expel if I’m on the street. Fortunately we don’t have emissions testing here so the DP will not be an issue.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
If you go catless I would make sure you get the exhaust tips extended past the rear bumper. All the turbo cars I have seen that go catless have flames on occasion. I would want that concealed behind the bumper for fear something might ignite.

NVM... I see you are a sportback and believe your tips are exposed.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Hey all, after searching the forum and comparing motors and fitment between the 2018+ Regal 2.0T and the 16-18 Chevy Malibu 2.0T I couldn’t see any reason why the K&N intake for the Malibu would not partner up with the Regal 2.0. I decided to give it a go and purchased the intake. Very simple install, about 20 minutes, start to finish. Fitment was exact and it clears the hood. I already have the basic Trifecta tune and spoke with Michael to ensure the intake would pair without having to upgrade to the advanced tune. With all that being said I am extremely pleased with the results. The sound is amazing and sounds like an aftermarket BOV was put on. I have a couple videos of the sound from inside the car but it will only let me post pictures. I am going to have a shop build me a catless downpipe and full exhaust which will require the advanced tune but that will have to wait until after Christmas. The K&N part I ordered was 63-3097 in case anyone is interested.
Nice clean set-up.
What is your opinion of the Trifecta tune?
Have you measured stock vs tuned acceleration time.
Day to day Drive-ability?

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Please also include how Trifecta changed shifting gears (if any).

Banjo

Buick Ownership
2018 Reagal GS
I would Use it because it looks cool, But The GranSport has Factory "Ram Air " Set up.. A True Cold Air Set Up Thats not drawing Air from inside the Engine Compartment. I might do it anyway. With your Trifecta Tune I bet that K & N Really Pulls and it Looks Cool.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
I would Use it because it looks cool, But The GranSport has Factory "Ram Air " Set up.. A True Cold Air Set Up Thats not drawing Air from inside the Engine Compartment. I might do it anyway. With your Trifecta Tune I bet that K & N Really Pulls and it Looks Cool.
Yup. The K&N looks like the perfect way to inhale warm, poorly-filtered air into the car. More noise, no more power...No thanks.

Kamehameleon

Syracuse, NY
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
\The K&N part I ordered was 63-3097 in case anyone is interested.
Thanks for providing the part number, have it saved for tax refund season.

Have you noticed any difference in fuel efficiency?

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Smog test here only checks thru OBD hookup, if no codes it passes. Pretty sure they do not look under car, but they use to look for restrictor in fuel fill when leaded had bigger fuel nozzle and was available. Back in the day dumped pellets out of my 78 Grand Am's cat converter, that had a 301 with Quadrajet.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
what if i dont have any tuning ?will this be bad for the car ?
Sounds like your opening a can of worms, since taking cat off will not improve performance. And leaves you open to retraining camps in the future. Breaking the law is a slippery slope, kinda like taking herbs leads to hard drugs.
Taking cat off probably leads to being a serial killer later in life.

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
what if i dont have any tuning ?will this be bad for the car ?
It won't be bad for your car but you won't feel any gain in power. The best thing you can do to the 2.0 turbo is to get a tune. It's like a night and day difference.

MaKeN

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick regal tour x
It won't be bad for your car but you won't feel any gain in power. The best thing you can do to the 2.0 turbo is to get a tune. It's like a night and day difference.

is there a thread anywhere about tuning , im new to tuning.

i would get a Cai not for power gains but for sound ... this car is so quite would like some sound when i press it.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
There are threads talking about tuning here but they don't explain how to actually tune your car. If you buy the Trifecta tune you can download it to a laptop and apply to your car. If you buy the Bad News Racing (BNR) tune they offer a hand held tuner to apply the tune to your car.

With both of them you can also tune the transmission to shift better. You will have to run premium fuel with both tunes since the turbo produces more boost to give your car more power. Both tunes also give you the ability to change the tune back to the factory tune if you are taking your car to the dealer for warranty work.

MaKeN

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick regal tour x
There are threads talking about tuning here but they don't explain how to actually tune your car. If you buy the Trifecta tune you can download it to a laptop and apply to your car. If you buy the Bad News Racing (BNR) tune they offer a hand held tuner to apply the tune to your car.

With both of them you can also tune the transmission to shift better. You will have to run premium fuel with both tunes since the turbo produces more boost to give your car more power. Both tunes also give you the ability to change the tune back to the factory tune if you are taking your car to the dealer for warranty work.
so du you have to go dino run for it or you can just do it yourself ?

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners