• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

2018 Tourx essence liftgate hands-free sensor not working

hzdtctc

STL
Buick Ownership
Encore, TourX
Wondering if anyone knows the working mechanism of the hands free liftgate?
Mine stopped working recently. The lamp can still illuminate and project on the ground but no response to the kick motion. Is the lamp itself also working as a sensor? Didn’t find any additional sensor description besides the lamp module in the service manual (see my pics). However, found one part online: REAR BUMPER. ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS.. Buick Regal TourX | GM Car Parts Online, Cincinnati OH.
Also appended some pics where I captured under the tourx... The lamp itself is really easy to be taken down, didn't find any obvious damages on it. The rodlike thing next the lamp might be the so-called motion sensor?
I think my question would be, if the lamp also plays as a sensor do I need to replace it or the seems-to-be motion sensor as well I found next to it?
Thanks in advance guys!

IMG_6732.JPEG IMG_6736.JPEG IMG_6737.JPEG IMG_6738.JPEG IMG_6730.JPEG manual.PNG AH18792.png Capture.PNG

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

smcg3

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Just to be sure... have you gone into the infotainment menu to ensure that the motion sensor is on? there are 3 options: off, open only, open + close. I know it's a forehead slapper, but check there first.

I've found my kick sensor to be very finicky. I found that if I kick slightly to the right of the illumination it works more consistently.

If none of that works, yes it may be a faulty motion sensor.

Last edited:

hzdtctc

STL
Buick Ownership
Encore, TourX
Just to be sure... have you gone into the infotainment menu to ensure that the motion sensor is on? there are 3 options: off, open only, open + close. I know it's a forehead slapper, but check there first.

I've found my kick sensor to be very finicky. since the light projection and the sensor have two different holes in the bumper, I found that if I kick slightly to the right of the illumination it works more consistently.

If none of that works, yes it may be a faulty motion sensor.
Yep, I've tried to turn it on and off in the dashboard back and forth.
In terms of the faulty motion sensor, do you know if the lamp module itself is a sensor, or the rodlike thing next the lamp is? Some videos show kick motion in the projected logo can trigger the liftgate, which is really confusion. The smaller hole next to the illumination is a bumper screw doesn’t have sensor in it after checking it underneath...

Thanks man!

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Wondering if the driver's door control is not accidentally placed in the off position.

hzdtctc

STL
Buick Ownership
Encore, TourX
Check out this thread, may answer some of your questions. From the member who moved the unit to accommodate a hitch, sounds like it's one unit Trailer hitch with foot sensor to open hatch
This is really helpful! Carefully checked some technical materials, found one from Texas Instruments: Traditional kick-to-open liftgate systems use capacitive sensing strips located across the bottom of the bumper.
So, I guess the motion sensor indicated in my pics would be the exact sensor instead of the lamp. GM parts are also selling the sensor besides the lamp. I guess the lamp just helps us locate where we need to kick.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners