2018 UI system Update/SIM Card?

motoring

Buick Ownership
none yet
Guess either UI does car play. Not a fan of android though windows might not be better. Guess in a car it is not a big deal though on phones android seems to take some much of your personal information without telling you.

Foxbat

Michiana
Buick Ownership
2018 Quicksilver Regal Sportback Essence AWD
I'm still not sure after reading this thread if it is possible for the dealership to upgrade the firmware in the early 2018 Regals to the flatter UI present on the 2018.5 models. I never was a fan of the aqua/turquoise icons Buick picked for their Infotainment screens.

Looking at the pictures on Dealer's websites, most of the 2018 Regal Sportback vehicles in stock have the earlier UI.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I'm still not sure after reading this thread if it is possible for the dealership to upgrade the firmware in the early 2018 Regals to the flatter UI present on the 2018.5 models. I never was a fan of the aqua/turquoise icons Buick picked for their Infotainment screens.

Looking at the pictures on Dealer's websites, most of the 2018 Regal Sportback vehicles in stock have the earlier UI.
It's not. It uses different hardware, which has been confirmed through looking at build options for the vehicles. If you have the old UI, that's what you're 'stuck' with. It's what I have and I love it.

Foxbat

Michiana
Buick Ownership
It's not. It uses different hardware, which has been confirmed through looking at build options for the vehicles. If you have the old UI, that's what you're 'stuck' with. It's what I have and I love it.
Okay, that's what I thought. It's the same on my 2014 Escape Titanium, I have the Microsoft-based SYNC 2, a.k.a. MyFordTouch, and when the 2016s came out, one of the subtle refreshes was using the QNX-based SYNC 3 system. Flattened GUI, but much more responsive and supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

As long as the Infotainment systems supports those, I don't foresee an issue getting a 2018.0 and its GUI. Thank you for your answer!

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Okay, that's what I thought. It's the same on my 2014 Escape Titanium, I have the Microsoft-based SYNC 2, a.k.a. MyFordTouch, and when the 2016s came out, one of the subtle refreshes was using the QNX-based SYNC 3 system. Flattened GUI, but much more responsive and supports Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

As long as the Infotainment systems supports those, I don't foresee an issue getting a 2018.0 and its GUI. Thank you for your answer!
CarPlay and Android Auto work flawlessly on the 2018.0 system. That's basically all I use and why I didn't care about getting the 2018.5 upgrade. I also found the cluster of the 2018.5 have a little less character than the 2018.0, but of course everyone has different opinions there.

Strippers4Me

Buick Ownership
Tour X
I just bought a Tour X and I narrowed it down to "old" red needles, "new" white needles

I'm glad for this forum as I had a deal other than writing the check (that I was going to do two days later) it had red needles, so I shopped on Auto Trader, made a few dealerships walk out and tell me red/white. Most dealers don't even know the new/old or that it changed half way through 18

Forums are a great thing!

Foxbat

Michiana
Buick Ownership
A lot of the dealers post pictures of their cars on their websites. I have been able to verify that (at least around here) all the 2018 Sportbacks on their lots have the red needle IP, so the 2018.0 User Interface.

The other difference appears to be the binnacle surrounding the speedometer and tachometer being deeper and silver-satin finished on the red needle IP. The white needle IP doesn't appear to have as deep of a binnacle.
14033 14034
2018 on left, 2018.5-2019 on right.

It does look like the Driver Info Panel on the newer Regals is slightly larger.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
CarPlay and Android Auto work flawlessly on the 2018.0 system. That's basically all I use and why I didn't care about getting the 2018.5 upgrade. I also found the cluster of the 2018.5 have a little less character than the 2018.0, but of course everyone has different opinions there.
Well Mr R you seem to know as much about differences as anyone... Is there different functionality between them, or is it just lipstick on a pig..I mean Infotainment system?

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Well Mr R you seem to know as much about differences as anyone... Is there different functionality between them, or is it just lipstick on a pig..I mean Infotainment system?
It’s my experience that they seem to both provide the same functionality. One is just uglier to some.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.