• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2019 Buick Encore Essence--Can't get Aux MP3 player to work

bizprof

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
I've tried to plug in my MP3 player into one of the USB slots and go to the Media section or the Music section to get it to play. But, I can't figure out how to get it to notice the MP3 player. I've read through the manuals and watched YouTube videos, but I must be missing something. The dealer set up my phone with a media connection, but that's all that shows up. Any ideas? Thanks! Signed--new Buick Owner (former Toyota RAV4 owner)

David Lopez Vargas

Garfield, NJ
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Encore Essence AWD w/ 153hp
It only works with usb thumb drives to my knowledge. If you connect your phone to it you can play music through the apple/android car play. If its a regular MP3 player...I highly doubt it'll work if the car doesn't recognize it.

Davidayackle

I've tried to plug in my MP3 player into one of the USB slots and go to the Media section or the Music section to get it to play. But, I can't figure out how to get it to notice the MP3 player. I've read through the manuals and watched YouTube videos, but I must be missing something. The dealer set up my phone with a media connection, but that's all that shows up. Any ideas? Thanks! Signed--new Buick Owner (former Toyota RAV4 owner)
Your vehicle does support MP3 playback but if you go right on buick.com and go to FAQ. Some devices are not supported and will not work. I would imagine if your player is supported it would be very easy to set up. Cell phones now days have so much internal memory and or expansion slots to increase memory you can have thousands of songs right on your phone and play through Bluetooth. No need for a mp3... You literly are already carrying a mp3 player and it's already set up.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Not all phones are "loaded" with memory. My new Google Pixel 3 only has 64g and that is the max it comes with. With cloud storage(which I am not a fan of) being so prevalent, storage on the physical device is not necessarily needed.

I have three 64g flash drives loaded with thousands of MP3's ripped at 320K bit rate from my personal CD collection. Yes... I am a music junkie.

Davidayackle

Not all phones are "loaded" with memory. My new Google Pixel 3 only has 64g and that is the max it comes with. With cloud storage(which I am not a fan of) being so prevalent, storage on the physical device is not necessarily needed.

I have three 64g flash drives loaded with thousands of MP3's ripped at 320K bit rate from my personal CD collection. Yes... I am a music junkie.
3 64gig cards is a lot of music!

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Yeah... a lot of music. A couple of the drives are not entirely full, but close...
I have a real big CD collection, I quit counting at 3,000 CD's.
Sounds like a lot, and it is... But I have met other music collectors with nearly 10,000 CD's.

I also rip the entire CD. Not just the songs I might like.
But 320K bit rate also takes up more storage space.
Typical 4.5 minute song eats up around 10 meg of storage space.
Most people only rip/store at 128K bit rate for that reason. But I can hear enough difference in sound quality that it bugs me. At 320K I cannot tell the difference between it and the CD.

Last edited:

DocBrown

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore Sport Touring
I think 320 is the max bit rate you can do in an .mp3. Supposedly most people cannot tell the difference between a CD and 192k or higher. I rip mine at 192 but occasionally there are things I hear that are distorted or not quite right. But overall I find it a good compromise between size and quality. 128 is not even listenable for me. It's only suitable for voice and radio, like old time radio shows.

Over time I've been buying and downloading more and more from Amazon. They are at 256k and are excellent quality.

Pedal Commander