• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2019 GS First 800 miles thoughts

StigMX5

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I’ve had the car two weeks now and here are some of my likes and dislikes:

Door unlock buttons on every door. When I come out of work I can go to the back door and just unlock all the doors. With my Azera, I had to unlock the front door with the button then open the back door.​
Doors that lock from the button even if another door is open. The Azera would prevent me from locking from outside the car if someone else had not closed their door yet.​
Heated seats that automatically turn on based on temperature in car. I haven’t pressed the heated seat button once.​
Engine and transmission seems to be geared so that you really don’t have to bury your foot to move quickly. The Azera had 297hp so not a lot of difference but the gearing required you to put a little more boot into the pedal.​
Audio system automatic volume reset when you shut off the car. No need to remember to turn down the radio for the wife when I come home.​
Audio remembers the last input used and resumes it when you start. Azera would always return to Sirius XM after every restart so I would have to make sure it was on channel 0 to remain silent when starting then flip to Bluetooth.​
Auto Cruise works well.​
Gas mileage remained consistent. My average is 25. The Azera average was 26 so I’m happy that it wasn’t a big change.​
Ride quality is not as soft but it doesn’t have the harshness/NVH during pot holes vs the Azera. The Regal feels more solid.​
Dislikes - nits really:

Bose sound stage while loud isn’t as good as the Infinity system in the Azera. The Azera was 550W and 12 or 14 speakers where the Bose is 8. There is also not a lot of EQ adjustment options nor surround sound.​
I had a slight vibration rattle in the headliner until just 2 days ago. If I put pressure where the A pillar cover met the headliner, it would stop. I finally figured out that if I flipped down the visor and slowly flipped it back up, the noise went away. It hasn’t returned so far so we’ll see how long that lasts.​
No easy way to tap the back of the mirror with exposed wires for the radar detector.​
Phone USB location requires you to open the armrest just to plug your phone in. The Azera had USB ahead of the shifter so it was easy to plug in. Armrest makes it a little hassle especially with passenger.​
Sport/GS setting should be remembered between restarts.​
Lane keep ping pongs a little too much between the lines vs more gentle corrections to stay centered in lane.​
Easy seat exit slides back too far so I turned it off. For me it makes it too awkward to get out. Azera had same feature but didn’t slide back so far.​
That’s all I can think of right now but may add more later.

Last edited:

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Hmmm... I've only been averaging 19 mpg. Even though I don't have to bury my foot in it, I'm having a hard time not doing so 😁

I agree with your assessment and I'm at the same mileage currently. The easy exit seat position is back too far, at 6'3" I couldn't even reach my door to close it (I turned the feature off as well).

I was put in a 2019 CTS 2.0T AWD as a loaner car and not only did the heated seat come on, but so did the heated steering wheel. I wish the Regal did that. The CTS Bose system sounded fuller, the car rode softer, and quieter too. Nonetheless, I was eager to be back in my GS after 24 hours with the CTS. I'd choose the GS every day of the week.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
What irks me about the easy-exit seat is that it's either on or off. You can't assign it to a key like you can for the seat memory.

For example, I'm 6'4" and like it when the easy-exit is off for me, but on for my wife as she is shorter than myself. I just have to deal with the seat being fully extended for myself to take advantage of being able to get into the car after my wife has driven it...

zach.friend

Virginia Beach, VA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I have about 500mi on my GS and so far I agree with the OP's post of pros and cons. Here are my own.

Pros:

Start/Stop its so damn quiet at stops I love it, makes for a very stress free drive when I'm not in a hurry.

Seats, incredible. I have lower back pain and I think they have actually helped!

I do like how you can just drive and the car will react to the way you drive or press the throttle. The transmission is truly astounding. So far I have barely used sport or GS unless I am going to lay in to the car.

Gas mileage is the same as my 2.0 Turbo in the Saab was on premium fuel. 17 in my short commute and 29 highway cruising on regular fuel.

Quiet ride and yes it is soft and absorbent. On my Saab the sports suspension was always hard and it felt like the strut mounts broke every time I hit a pothole.

Cons:

I have exactly the same rattle on the passenger visor. Just screwed it in a little harder and its gtg now. Speaking of my drivers door seems to need adjustment for panel gap, seems to keep out the wind noise pretty well.

Yeah the Bose lacks "Centerpoint" surround which is dissapointing I had the HK surround in my Saab and the affect was much richer than the Regal. Although the dedicated sub woofer in the regal does boom pretty well I would have preferred more sound dispersion.

With all safety features enabled my HUD is cluttered. Literally icons sitting over top of icons. Fix this! Also my infotainment has crashed to the splash screen a few times.

I wish the doors were pull to unlock, my last car was. Its just different having to push a button on the handle. :p kind of a #firstworldissue

Hatch Button!

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
I'll add to the Debbie Downer part of this:

Cons:
Visor does not extend

No overhead sunglasses holder with the sunroof (the space is taken up by the motor)

Only one small dim trunk light in the sportback and its mounted too low on the side so can be blocked by cargo.

Key fob button is too easy to press - I'm constantly setting off the alarm with the key in my pocket.

Rear windows do not have express up

After using the seat massage the lumber does not return all the way to its original position. It gets close but I have to do the rest myself.

No physical button for the HVAC Recirc. Sometimes when you're driving you want to quickly go to recirc to avoid a sudden outside smell.

Small fuel tank

2018.5+ Infotainment is buggy
-Apple car play apps are sometimes blank
-When using Waze with sound notifications off, the music still mutes when it would be making a notification.
-If the phone is not plugged in it will randomly auto-connect and start playing through bluetooth even when I'm listening to the radio or SiriusXM. Last time I drove without the phone plugged in it connected to bluetooth three times in the span of 5 minutes.
-Reverse guidelines sometimes not visible

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
At 5'10 and 240lbs I thought the easy-exit position was fine, hard to reach the door but easier for me to get in/out

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Some other pro/cons I am passionate about and haven't been totally beaten to death in other threads:

Pros
-Love how simplistic the controls are. I hate interiors that have 70 buttons. The controls are symmetrical.

-Power delivery, transmission, braking, steering, and suspension are all very smooth. Everyone who has ridden with me has commented on how smooth the car is.

Cons
-No trunk release on FOB or in the cabin (thought this was standard nowadays). I'm wondering how long the finish on the badge and paint will hold up to the constant use. I'm planning to apply some clear film to the bottom of the trunk to protect the paint.

-Lack of "GS" personalization. The early gauges had the GS emblem on them. My 2019 does not and I liked that little touch.

-I want the 20" wheels the Ausies and Europeans get! Meanwhile, even the North American Cascada gets 20s...

-When the infotainment and temperature displays are turned off they are still backlit. They don't shut off completely so at night it just looks dumb.

More first world problems for sure. I absolutely love my GS.

XtraPerformance

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
It's really sad to see they got rid of some of these simple things such as the interior trunk release, 20" wheel option, physical recirculation button, or extending visors on the 2018+. My 2016 has all of these things. I guess these were the things that couldn't make the budget considering you guys get a bunch of other cool options that weren't available before ;).

There seriously isn't a button on the key fob to release the trunk?

StigMX5

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Nice to hear that others have the same thoughts. I tend to think I’m a little crazy sometimes. To comment on some of the other points made:

Visor vibration - I’ll check that screw if it does it again. Thanks for the tip Zach.

HUD icons - yeah they are a little messy and icons could be a little “cooler”. My buddy has a 19 Accord Hybrid and his HUD is cleaner. That said when he got in the Regal his first comment was “I wish my AV screen was built into the dash like this instead a sticking up and out like the Accord”. Again we all have certain likes.

Jack - I need to try a lower tire pressure to see how it changes the ride. Wonder what tires were on th CTS. I put Pirelli cinturato p7 on the Azera twice because they were terrific for wet/snow/noise and comfort. Not sure if they are available for the Regal size but the Azera has 19s so I’m going to assume that will be my next tire when the Contis are done.

Hatch - I guess an interior pop doesn’t bother me on it. What does seem odd is that it’s hard to get your hand under it to lift. I worry about scratching the bumper when I reach under. Either it needs to pop up more or there needs to be a little recess to get your fingers in.

One more dislike:

No mute button for audio. The Azera had one on the wheel. That was handy for drive thru etc.

zach.friend

Virginia Beach, VA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
It's really sad to see they got rid of some of these simple things such as the interior trunk release, 20" wheel option, physical recirculation button, or extending visors on the 2018+. My 2016 has all of these things. I guess these were the things that couldn't make the budget considering you guys get a bunch of other cool options that weren't available before ;).

There seriously isn't a button on the key fob to release the trunk?
Lift door handle to unlock and ALL driver mirrors dimming is something I miss from my Saab 9-5 too!

XtraPerformance

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
Very interesting. Such a weird omission.

BTW that picture you posted is such a good angle of the GS. Gorgeous car! What did you have done that they gave you a CTS loaner? I've never been offered a loaner ever lol. How does it compare to the GS handling wise? I always regretted not looking at them before I bought my GS.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Thanks Xtra! I was just having them tackle some cosmetic issues. Someone scratched the door sill paint down to metal getting in carelessly, some interior trim misalignment where the upper dash meets the door, and swirl marks on the B pillar plastics. They took care of it free of charge and never have me any hassle.

It's a Buick, GMC, Cadillac dealer and they are very customer focused. I was getting ready to call a friend to come pick me up and they weren't having any of that lol.

As for handling, it is well mannered. The magnetic ride control is very nice. Overall ride quality was better. It only had 8 miles when they handed the keys over so I really babied the thing. I doubt I took it over 3k rpm. Needless to say, I didn't get to test the vehicle's true abilities.

Dollar for dollar, the GS is the better deal. I even drove an ATS around when I was in the market. I do not regret my purchase whatsoever. Driving the CTS only reaffirmed my feelings about the GS.

Sorry for the essay...

Pedal Commander