• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

2019 - No fobs are recognized

anachostic

First things first. I don't drive my TourX a lot. It's a garage queen. It only has like 15k miles on it. So it sits for over a month at a time.

Now that that's said, tonight I went to take it out and I couldn't unlock the door with the handle button. Ok. I guess I have a dead battery. Odd for such a new car, but whatever. I search online and find out how to get in the car using the emergency key and when I open the door, the car begins warning honks. Soon, my garage is filled with honks and sirens. Inside the car, as I'm scrambling trying to make the noise stop, I noticed a message on the dash screen, something like No Fob Recognized or No Fob Found. Something like that.

After I got the hood opened and before I could disconnect the battery, the siren stopped. I then tested the battery and it was just fine, as if the siren and honking didn't tell me that clearly enough.

So then, there's my problem. I have two key fobs, neither will unlock the doors or be recognized when I manually unlock the door. I changed the battery in one just in case and it had no effect.

Where do I go from here, if not in my TourX? I'll call the dealer tomorrow, but maybe someone has a hint they can drop.

mapman85

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Hmm I had this happen to my fob this morning but the second fob did work. When I tried my fob again this afternoon it was fine. I don't know if there's a way to start the car without a fob, but I wondered if something just had to "reset."

anachostic

I went out to dinner and picked up new batteries, because what are the chances I had two dead batteries in two fobs and another dead battery sitting in my drawer? Chances turned out to be better than you'd think. As soon as I changed the battery in the one fob, I heard the car honking in the garage.

Some day I expect I'll be somewhere and I'll have to get an Uber to go to Walgreens and buy batteries so I can use my technological wonder of a vehicle.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I don't know if there's a way to start the car without a fob
Pages 34 & 35 of the owners manual cover this scenario.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220922-210210__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220922-210210__01.jpg
    482.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20220922-210221__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220922-210221__01.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 15

wagonlover56

Silicon Valley CA
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence-All options April 2018 Build Date (White needle)
My car sat in the garage for "only" 3 weeks while I was on a trip and when I returned, the battery was dead.
Of course, I thought it was a good idea to lock the car while I was away so I had to use the "emergency" procedure to get into the car.
I connected jumper cables from my Nissan Leaf to the TourX and immediately, the alarm on the TourX started sounding.
I pushed unlock or lock on the key fob (can't remember now..._) and the alarm stopped.
The Leaf didn't have enough juice to start the TourX so I called AAA and they got the TourX going for me.
I drove the TourX for 50+ miles to charge up the battery but the ASS system was not working so I thought I'd take it in to the dealer for a battery check.
Before they can run the battery check, they charge the battery fully. Report was it was not "down" enough to warrant a replacement battery under warranty.
Ever since then (about 2 months now), the ASS system works more than it ever did before so it seems as if the battery is keeping its full charge.
In "the old days", when a battery went dead, recharging it usually was a stopgap measure and the battery would have to be replaced.
I guess these "new tech" batteries don't suffer as much from being run down and then recharged.
Oh yes - to ovoid dead batteries in the future, I had the dealer install a battery tender which I will use the next time I leave the car sitting for an extended time!

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I had the same thing happen to me @wagonlover56. They charged up the battery fully and then tested the battery aftwards. I was skeptical about this procedure because in my mind, no $hit the battery is gonna test fine after charging it all day...

Since then, the battery has been fine though. They did the recharge in the early spring and I have only put on a thousand or so miles since then and I haven't had the tender on in that time. So there must be something to be said about the newer batteries taking a drain and charge better, as you mentioned.

mapman85

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Hmm I had this happen to my fob this morning but the second fob did work. When I tried my fob again this afternoon it was fine. I don't know if there's a way to start the car without a fob, but I wondered if something just had to "reset."
Think mine was the battery in the fob too since it failed again, so I replaced it. I had previously gotten a "low battery in fob" warning on the DIC for the second fob, but that never happened for this one.