• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

2021 Buick Encore GX foot motion activated lift gate not working

1daysale

Buick Ownership
Buick Encore GX 2021
Foot activated lift gate not is not detecting my foot motion. We've checked all the common stuff first like: making sure the door switch is on; the radio setting is correct; correct foot motion (kicking or sweeping both worked in the past)

The logo illuminates on approach as it should with the fob in hand or pocket.

Hand pressing the door switch or double pressing the fob will open and close accordingly.

I've also cleaned the 'hole' with a dry cotton swab as suggested in the manual

Any other suggestions other than turn into warranty at dealership would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Dave_0788

Encore Enthusiast
North East Jersey
Buick Ownership
2021 Buick Encore Essence GX ST AWD w/ 1.3L
swipe foot to the left and it should open. ship to the right and it should close. it can be a pain to use it sometimes lol

StevieD49

Buick Ownership
Encore GX Essence
I'm having the same problem...had been working OK and then all of a sudden it quit.

1daysale

Buick Ownership
Buick Encore GX 2021
I'm having the same problem...had been working OK and then all of a sudden it quit.
Same with me it was working just fine then all of a sudden it just quit. Only got 5,500 mi on it

agaric

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
Time to visit the dealership for some warranty work.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Oscarg63

Buick Ownership
Buick Encore gx select
Foot activated lift gate not is not detecting my foot motion. We've checked all the common stuff first like: making sure the door switch is on; the radio setting is correct; correct foot motion (kicking or sweeping both worked in the past)

Hand pressing the door switch or double pressing the fob will open and close accordingly.

Any other suggestions other than turn into warranty at dealership would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
swipe your foot and step back If close it won’t open
make sure the tailgate option is turned on on the drivers door…I turned mine off at the car wash and forgot to turn back on

Blaine2020

Buick Ownership
2020 Encore GX and 2017 Encore
swipe your foot and step back If close it won’t open
make sure the tailgate option is turned on on the drivers door…I turned mine off at the car wash and forgot to turn back on
Its a useless feature, I just use the key fob. !

1daysale

Buick Ownership
Buick Encore GX 2021
Fixed!

I took in the vehicle to get it's first oil change and mentioned the issue. They ran the code reader and they said the vehicle had an update that needed applied and they applied that update and it started working again!

Initially the projection light was not illuminating while at the dealership but the hatch was going up and down properly with my kick action. They DID tell me that the light would not come on for them but the foot action was working so I was happy enough that it was opening and closing again. After driving home I walked to the back of the car and the light was working again so I assume it was probably because the key fob was near the vehicle for so long and I remember reading that the light would stay off if fob was near vehicle for an extended period and/or some other conditions would keep it off and would reset when conditions were met.

This update must be different than the system update on the infotainment unit because when I was readjusting my passive door lock setting; since the technician was probably adjusting them while trying to diagnosing the issue; I noticed the last attempt to update the infotainment system was about a week old. I pressed the check for updates button and no updates were found and the last check changed to the current date and time.

Hope this helps the Encore GX community with the same issue!

gs.haley

Buick Ownership
2021 Encore GX
My lift gate on my 2021 Encore GX randomly stopped working too. I cleaned the sensor like the Manual suggests...this didn't help. I verified the settings were correct. So I took it to the dealership, they reprogrammed and calibrated the lift gate control module and it works like a charm again! It's such a handy feature, I was bummed when it didn't work. Happy that it's back!

FYI, you must kick directly under the bumper where the Buick logo hits the ground and kick forward, not side to side.

Oscarg63

Buick Ownership
Buick Encore gx select

Thanks in advance
I found if I put my foot more in the left of the logo it works, not underneath it

1daysale

Buick Ownership
Buick Encore GX 2021
I found if I put my foot more in the left of the logo it works, not underneath it
The issue wasn't the detecting of the motion of the foot or even incorrect motion... the correct motion is to kick forward and then remove.

When I took it to the dealer, the dealer said a software update was needed.
It now works almost 100% of the time even with incorrect left/right motion.

Oscarg63

Buick Ownership
Buick Encore gx select
The issue wasn't the detecting of the motion of the foot or even incorrect motion... the correct motion is to kick forward and then remove.

When I took it to the dealer, the dealer said a software update was needed.
It now works almost 100% of the time even with incorrect left/right motion.
How recent was your update, mine is still to the left of the logo

1daysale

Buick Ownership
Buick Encore GX 2021
How recent was your update, mine is still to the left of the logo
I don't think you understand. My foot activation of the liftgate completely stopped working. The logo would light up on approach, but.... No swiping no kicking no left or right, no forward or backing would making it work. When I took my vehicle in for an oil change I had them look at it. They said there was an update they needed to apply. The software update was updated and all is well in the world with my foot and my liftgate. If yours works better by kicking slightly to the left then more power to you but mine was completely disabled until the update was applied.