215 engine PCV system

squirrel

Sierra Vista, AZ
Buick Ownership
1999 LeSabre
Hi, I recently got a hand made car that has a Buick 215 engine in it. There is no PCV valve, just a breather cap on the driver side, and a hose going to an aftermarket chrome air cleaner on the pass side. I guess the PCV valve is supposed to go in the hole in the pass side valve cover? And connect with a hose to...a T fitting at the back of the carb? or where? Right now, the transmission vacuum modulator (for a different transmission) is connected at the back of the carb. It has a 4GC Rochester carb.

Any info...pictures or description...of the stock setup would be a help. engine1.jpg

CorvairGeek

3.8L Member
The Gem State
Buick Ownership
1996, 92 Buick Century
Chances are good that it didn't have one new, unless it was a Cali vehicle. Does it still have the road draft tube sticking out from the bottom of the engine?

Skylarkin'

Sustaining Member
Sustaining Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
CorvairGeek's right. Unless it's a California engine, which started requiring PCVs in 1961, most car companies didn't include factory PCVs until 1964. The 215 V-8's final production year was 1963 and British Rover bought the rights to the engine after that.

squirrel

Sierra Vista, AZ
Buick Ownership
1999 LeSabre
I think you'll find that they had PCV by 63 everywhere....at least, that's been my experience. 1962 non-california cars had draft tubes.

Thanks for the pictures...looks like they added a 1970s Ford cap with the PCV valve in it to that one! I won't do that.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!