• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

28mm Front Sway Bar with 26mm rear?

Philthy

Elizabeth (ROCK) City, NC
Buick Ownership
Buick Roadmaster
As I said in the control arm thread, I've decided to stick with the stock upper and lower control arms on my 96 RMS. I am replacing the rear LCAs with a NOS set of heavier duty GM service bulletin arms that I found on Ebay. My car currently has the small 28mm front bar and no rear bar (FE1). I know the Impala SS, 9C1 and other cars with a heavy duty suspension have a 30mm front bar and a 28mm rear. Another forum member hooked me up with a guy parting out some SSs in the Atlanta area and I planned on making a stop to see him when I go back to the ATL area for a visit next month. However, when I made a trip to the junkyard today, I saw a 96 Caddy Fleetwood. It has front and rear sway bars. I didn't have time to get the yard staff to lift the car so I could get the bars today, but they only want $50 total for both bars. My plan was to return next week and get them, thinking they're the same spec as the SS bars.

I did some deeper reading and one forum post said that the front bar on the Fleetwood is the same 28mm bar that I have on my car with a 26mm rear, but I can't verify it anywhere else. When I Google "1996 Cadillac Fleetwood sway bar diameter", all I get are aftermarket bars for sale or forum discussions about installing aftermarket bars.

I can measure the front bar on the Caddy with some calipers next week. If the front bar is the same as mine, I'll just grab the rear.

Here's my question: Is anyone out there running a 28mm front bar with a 26mm rear? I realise the 30mm front bar will be more agressive than the 28mm bar I have, but will the car handle "weird" with this setup? I suppose I could try it and see, but I'd like to do the whole suspension and steering at one time over a weekend, although compared to replacing all the bushings and steering parts, changing front sway bars is pretty easy.

Thanks!

Turbo Buick Badge