3 speed or 4 speed trans

LandYacht81

Hi everyone. New to the forum. Land yacht lover. I typically drive Cadillacs and Lincolns. With fuel prices increasing I am looking at getting a comfy cruiser that is a bit more efficient on the highway than my 2004 Town Car. I am doing a lot of highway driving and at 6'2" do not want to cram into a foreign compact. That being said, I have been considering a Century. A friend I work for while in college had a 96 Century Wagon with the 3.1. Remember it being a great ride and she used to brag about getting up to 31 or 32mpg going to dog shows out of state. I am currently looking at a 1993 Century that is for sale in Jersey. It has the 3.3. Did the 3.3 come standard with the 4 speed transmission or could it be a 3 speed. I am thinking the four speed would have best fuel economy. If it could be either, is there any way to tell? Car is about 3 hours away so I was hoping to figure this out before the trip. Also, is it reasonable to expect 30 mpg on highway with this motor? Car has been garaged for life, 20k original miles. Of course I will have it gone through and tuned up. Thanks for any insight.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
Look at the shift indicator if it's PRD21 it's a three speed.
If it's PPRD21 where the first P has a circle around it indicating Overdrive it is a 4 speed,
The EPA rating with the 4 speed on the highway was 26.

LandYacht81

If it's PPRD21 where the first P has a circle around it indicating Overdrive it is a 4 speed,
Maybe wishful thinking, but I felt the epa ratings for some of the Buicks I have been looking at seem low. My wife had an 88 LeSabre Coupe when we got married. It had the 3800 and we regularly got between 28 and 29 mpg with that on the highway.

Ironwind1972

Buick Ownership
1997 Buick Century Custom
I'm 6'5" and 400 lbs (Lard butt, I know), but I fit pretty good in it and am very comfortable driving. You'll dig it.

HotZ28

SE
Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU 2019 Regal GS
If you could get a pic of the RPO codes it would tell you what trans is in the car. Some had the 3-speed and others had the 4-speed. The prefix for trans codes is M-**. If you can get that info we can tell you what trans is in the car.

mitchflorida

South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
I read that it is the first D that has a circle around it, indicating overdrive. The second uncircled D is third gear.

MelsRegal

Buick Ownership
Regal GS 2017
I read that it is the first D that has a circle around it, indicating overdrive. The second uncircled D is third gear.
Correct, I mixed up my P's and D's.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Had the Celebrity version wagon similar dash panel, not a bad vehicle and other than brakes no surprise mechanical issues with the I4. At 90k sold it to my neighbors kid who got 4 more years but had no clue how to maintain a vehicle, but knew how to upgrade the stereo LOL.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!