3100 SFI not getting gas

Bill_R

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Century
I have a 1995 Buick Century with a 3100 SFI V6 which is not getting gas when I try to start it. It has not been run much lately and the gas is old. The engine is turning over strongly but it does not sound like is even trying to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Probably start at the fuel pump and work your way forward. But when you say it's not getting any gas is this something you know or thinking likely is the problem. Lots of guessing and suggestions, but getting a few things confirmed good or bad parts may help others with ideas on the forum.

Below is a good tutorial on how to trouble shoot the no start on this motor.
Part 1 -How to Troubleshoot a No Start (GM 3.1L, 3.4L)

Bill_R

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Century
Thanks for the quick reply. I have no proof. I thought that was likely because it was turning over strongly but made no sound like it was going to start. Thanks for the tutorial.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
As you read over it you'll see its a pretty simple check list, but chasing phantom problems can be a little time consuming and costly. So going through a method of removing possibly problems will hopefully get to the area where it will be the problem. As he suggested online to use starting fluid to check if it will start, quickest way I know to find out if it's something in the fuel area or not.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
As mentioned, you need to check the fuel delivery systems pressure @ the rail. Do you have a new filter installed? If so, is the fuel pressure reading accurate and above 34+psi? If not, you may have a fuel starved engine when starting. We will need more dignostics & response from you to help diagnose this problem from here & be able to help!

Bill_R

Buick Ownership
1995 Buick Century
I have read the tutorials and they are very informative though some of it is over my head. I will study them more over the weekend to determine which tests I can run. I won't be able to actually work on this until Monday but I will try to get some more information and post it.

I do know that the fuel filter has not been replaced in years. Should that be done first?

Thanks very much for the help.

HotZ28

Buick Ownership
1996 Roadmaster Limited Collectors Edition 58k - 1996 PAU
I do know that the fuel filter has not been replaced in years. Should that be done first?

Thanks very much for the help.
Replacing the fuel filter may help fuel delivery, but may not help the overworked/old pump recover from the failure caused by restriction's in the lines. That fuel pressure test needs to be tested now and be listed here first before we can can go any further on this!!

hitshane

Buick Newbie
Saint Petersburg, FL
Buick Ownership
2005 Century Custom
Try buying a gallon of the highest octane gas you can and putting it in the tank.

You should have the L82 engine.