3800 Cold Starting Engine Problem

OBCRG

Chicago, IL
Buick Ownership
1994 Buick LeSabre Custom
I am new to the forum and would appreciate help with a very bothersome problem.

Vehicle: 1994 LeSabre with 125K. Owned since new.

Problem: My car has started to exhibit a "hard to start condition when cold." When the Ambent temp. is ~40 degrees or < the car becomes increasingly difficult to start. The colder it gets, the harder it is to start. However, if it warms up to ~40, it starts fine.

Parts Already Replaced: Coolant Temp. Sensor, IAC, MAF, EGR, ICM, fuel pump, fuel filter, sending unit, gas tank, starter & battery. I also tested the coil pack; however, the primary and secondary resistance on all three coils is within spec. Furthermore, I dug into the engine replacing the Plenum (and it's gasket), cleaned the throttle body, the lower intake manifold & replaced the LIM gaskets. Also checked the fuel pressure regulator and it is NOT faulty.

Check Engine Light Codes: NONE

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am stumped and frustrated. :mad:

regalgs04ja

Rocket City, AL
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS Joseph Abbound
Sound like you replaced most everything. Did you test the coil packs when they cold like at the time it was hard to start? If not, you might try measuring them when the conditions are the same as when it will not start.

Is it getting good fuel pressure? Other than that I have no clue.

OBCRG

Chicago, IL
Buick Ownership
1994 Buick LeSabre Custom
Last week, I repalced the gas tank, the sending unit and the fuel pump (all brand new). According to my Haynes manual, fuel pressure for this engine should be anyware from 41-47 PSI, mine is at 41 to 42 PSI. I also checked my fuel volume and it too is good. However, I think my coil pack could be the problem. I just found out that despite my three coils testing fine (within specs. for the primary and secondary), I now learned that one, two or all three of these coils could still generate a weak spark. I also found this link that suggests these coil packs are "crapolla."

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-175446.html

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

jmburkhart

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
1989 LeSabre 3.8L
I had the same problem. Turned out to be the coil pack...

92sub

Motor City
Buick Ownership
87GN (gone), 2011 CXS (gone), 98 Regal GS
On a day where it's going to be warm and you KNOW the vehicle will start ok, remove the suspect component (in this case coil pack) and stick it in your freezer for a couple of hours. As quickly as possible, mount it to the vehicle and see how it starts.

susitna51

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for posting your final results, OBCRG, this thread has been very helpful. I had the same problem with my '98 LeSabre 3800 without any fault codes. I replaced the CPS and this solved the problem.

Suzie&Ethan

Buick Ownership
95 Buick Park Avenue 3800 series 2
I own a 94 buick park avenue it wont start cold but will start if inside fine help please

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.