3rd Gear

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I just recently purchased a used 2016 Regal GS AWD. After driving it for a couple weeks I've noticed that 3rd gear seems to be acting strange and I was curious if it's just part of this car or if I should be investigating it. It seems to me that 3rd gear tends to "drop" in at weird times, or only seems to stay in for a few seconds before switching to 4th. It almost feels like it shouldn't exist at all. Is this a characteristic of this transmission or should I be worried?

Edit: This is an automatic by the way.

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
16' Buick Regal GS "Ebony Metallic" & 17' BMW M3 F80
I just recently purchased a used 2016 Regal GS AWD. After driving it for a couple weeks I've noticed that 3rd gear seems to be acting strange and I was curious if it's just part of this car or if I should be investigating it. It seems to me that 3rd gear tends to "drop" in at weird times, or only seems to stay in for a few seconds before switching to 4th. It almost feels like it shouldn't exist at all. Is this a characteristic of this transmission or should I be worried?

I too have a 16 AWD GS and no issues with the gears. Still warranty? Is it used if so, take it back to the dealer.

Note: Im always on GS mode

Last edited:

Jon17GS

NJ
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal GS

Is it possible that it is switching to 4th quicker to help with fuel economy? For example, if driving lightly the transmission is throwing it into the next gear to keep at a lower RPM. Maybe try different ways of driving such as lightly through the gears, moderately, and then harder and monitor the behavior. I have been reading on this forum often about the car "learning" how you drive determining the behavior of the transmission. Hopefully my point came across, by no way an expert with this. I will monitor my 3rd to 2nd and 3rd to 4th shifts and see if I can give an idea on how mine shifts under different circumstances.

***Also, is this happening in default/touring, sport, and GS modes? Any differences?

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
It does still have a good bit of time left on the drivetrain warranty from GM so I’m not in a huge rush on that end. Bumper to bumper is good through December as well. I can tell it’s 3rd because you can obviously tell/feel/hear each time it shifts. Jon17GS I’m considering that as the answer. It’s less pronounced when I’m lightly using the gas pedal and more so when I’m flooring it or hitting it hard. So far I’ve only driven it in normal mode for the most part (lots of snow and ice here lately so I haven’t played with GS or sport mode a lot yet). I will use the other modes this weekend and see if it feels different. Thanks for all the ideas!

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
It does still have a good bit of time left on the drivetrain warranty from GM so I’m not in a huge rush on that end. Bumper to bumper is good through December as well. I can tell it’s 3rd because you can obviously tell/feel/hear each time it shifts. Jon17GS I’m considering that as the answer. It’s less pronounced when I’m lightly using the gas pedal and more so when I’m flooring it or hitting it hard. So far I’ve only driven it in normal mode for the most part (lots of snow and ice here lately so I haven’t played with GS or sport mode a lot yet). I will use the other modes this weekend and see if it feels different. Thanks for all the ideas!
Just use GS mode and manual mode and you'll feel alot better. As said before the vehicle will learn how the driver drives it. Probably the previous member drove it under 60 mph and never got on it. Push it and have fun and bet it'll change

seafarer61

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
I tend to avoid GS mode when I'm puttering around town because I don't want the computer to establish premature shift points in that mode. In normal driving, it's all city and the car seems to want to flip through the gears in an effort to maximize mpg. I save GS mode for when I want to have fun with merge lanes and out of traffic driving. Here in south Florida, I always seem to be staring at someone else's license plate. That's what I miss the most about my home (New England). In this neck of the woods, you constantly feel like a husky yanking a sled alongside all the other dogs.

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So on my drive to work today I tried both sport and GS mode, both seem to not have the issue I was discussing and shifted fine. I'm going to play with it some more and see if I find any consistencies I suppose. During the week my 7 mile drive to work is pretty much 30mph the entire way, no fun for driving!

Sam14GS

Lake Worth, Florida
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS & 2015 Camaro SS
Here is something easy to try. Pull the Transmission Control Module fuses and leave them out overnight so it resets its memory. Put them back in and drive the car. This will relearn the TCM adaptive values. In my opinion, its a good sign that you are not having the problem in GS or Sport mode, likely not a major tranny hard part problem. I'm no expect, just my 2¢

Eilustre

Buick Newbie
Maryland
Buick Ownership
I tend to avoid GS mode when I'm puttering around town because I don't want the computer to establish premature shift points in that mode. In normal driving, it's all city and the car seems to want to flip through the gears in an effort to maximize mpg. I save GS mode for when I want to have fun with merge lanes and out of traffic driving. Here in south Florida, I always seem to be staring at someone else's license plate. That's what I miss the most about my home (New England). In this neck of the woods, you constantly feel like a husky yanking a sled alongside all the other dogs.
The only time i've used the auto mode was when i took the car off for a test drive in 2016' off the lot. lol after that it was all GS mode through highway, city and around town. But my M3 6 spd now that is a blast in all senario lol.

CLE12GS

Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick GS

This is why I opted for the 6 Manual, I have more control of when the shift happens, and I can also down shift when hitting the brakes is imposible, when it's icy outside. I have had automatics all my life, and always felt that they always needs an extra gear or 2, even when they came with OverDrive, when I'm on the freeway runing 65+ I would like to get my RPMs to around 12-1500 instead of 2K. Given I have the 2012 with the LHU pushing 270HP Stock, I'm running 17-1900 RPM with 19s in 6th gear at 75 Mph. Pretty much only have to worry about the Clutch / Slave Cylinder at some point, but I have a completely brand new F40 Trans, still sealed, I plan on getting a Short Shifter for it, and if I can afford, at some point, a LSD (Limited Slip Differential) for it, so when I have to replace the clutch, I'll install my new 6MT

CLE12GS

Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick GS
I'm not getting the P0171 error anymore, haven't for about a week, now I'm getting a P0455, but no CEL, go figure.. Running great despite the error code, no miss or rough idle until I filled up, I also threw a bottle of Seafoam in a full tank of 93, but it rough idles in the beginning and almost wants to stall, did 2x after I filled up, but ran fine after a mile of driving. Every so often, my Torque Pro apps tells me in sexy Australian female voice, Error p0455 pops up, but until I see a CEL, I'm not worrying too much about it.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.