Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | 2018 Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: 2012 Regal GS Manual Shifting Resistance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 Regal GS Manual Shifting Resistance

I noticed that I had a some resistance in the shifter and a little bit of grinding today on my lunch break. Its pretty cold here, 0 - 10ºF. However the problem didn't start until I was on my way back from my lunch break at which point the car was already warmed up. There doesn't seem to be any resistance going from in gear to neutral. I made sure there was nothing under the clutch pedal preventing me from pushing it all the way down. The car only has 40k miles on it. Anyone have any ideas on where to start with this?

Re: 2012 Regal GS Manual Shifting Resistance

I do know GM engineered in a "detent" mechanism into the shift throws for a more notchy, rigid throw. Maybe you broke it....?
    Never heard of this in any manual tranny.

you have a hydraulic clutch mechanism, did you check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder? Typically these shifters are cable operated with levers on the outside of the transmission case. If dirt/water/snow/ice build up on the lever it may interfere with shifting.

Morning Guys,

I also have this same issue. For me, the issue is the first shift into 2nd when I am leaving my house for work in the mornig. Once the car warms up, it's not as bad but I have a hard time selecting 2nd gear.

dbruce is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 Buick Regal GS

Quote Originally Posted by mrharrelson@yahoo.com View Post
    Morning Guys,

I also have this same issue. For me, the issue is the first shift into 2nd when I am leaving my house for work in the mornig. Once the car warms up, it's not as bad but I have a hard time selecting 2nd gear.
    Yep. 1st to second can give a slight resistance, almost drag feel off a gear for me. Only when cold. Having had manuals for so long, didn't really phase me much. Dealer noticed when I brought it in for something else, but said it wasn't bad enough for a repair. Reality, had a feeling it's just the way it is.

GOT2B GM is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2012 Regal GS 6MT, 1997 LeSabre Custom Supercharged

This isnt really a solution, but more of a suggestion.

The same thing happens with my 12 GS when its cold out.

If you double clutch it when shifting until the transmission oil warms up, it will shift much nicer. Much less resistance and no grinding / syncho noise.

'12 Buick Regal GS Turbo White diamond tricoat, F40 6 spd, NAV, 20's for summer and 19's for winter
    GMPP Stage Kit, BNR tuned, ZZP Catted DP, Forge BOV, P3cars VIDI, Maxton Designs splitter, rear window lip spoiler.
    250 whp, 308 ft lbs

'97 Buick LeSabre Custom Top swapped L36, SD headers, ZZP MPS 3.6, AL605's, 180 stat, Magnaflow muffler.

I had an interesting experience... Yesterday all of my forward gears (1, 3, 6) had considerable more resistance than 2, 4, 6. It happened out of the blue, no real indication as to why, and doesn't seem to be there today. Was hoping this thread talked about it, but no such luck. This is in reasonably warm temperatures. I do know the car had a short throw installed at one point, so I'm going to see what I can under the hood with the help of a friend actuating the shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Krautastic View Post
    I had an interesting experience... Yesterday all of my forward gears (1, 3, 6) had considerable more resistance than 2, 4, 6. It happened out of the blue, no real indication as to why, and doesn't seem to be there today. Was hoping this thread talked about it, but no such luck. This is in reasonably warm temperatures. I do know the car had a short throw installed at one point, so I'm going to see what I can under the hood with the help of a friend actuating the shifter.
    Had the reverse of the above happen today. Seemed like 246 were worse than 135. Not a big deal. Curious if you discovered anything? I know on my older manual, they had separate connections/actuators for the shifts and they separate on the top and botton gears.......though unlikely same given haven't read of any issues here.

I looked at this back in 2014 ("I've been researching this topic on some of the other GM platforms and their enthusiasts forums, and there appears to be 'some' improvement with their 1-2 shifts gained after changing to a syncromesh type fluid (GM, Amsoil, Red Line, etc). I know and appreciate the complexities of transmission fluids and syncronizers, etc., but I'm willing to test out the possibilities, stay tuned. And note to NormT, we had -32C temps here last week..."). This past winter I swapped the BOT402 fluid for Pennzoil Synchromesh and experienced a much improved initial cold shifting.

Walt G is offline Full Member My Buick(s): '12 Regal GS

The synchromesh stuff is quite a bit thinner than what our transmissions come with, so it's not too surprising that cold performance was better, but I'd be a little bit worried about protection under high load once everything is hot.

I'm running the Amsoil gear lube (direct replacement for the BOT stuff), and I didn't get any cold transmission improvement. But I bet the Amsoil 'synchromesh' stuff would offer the same improvement you got with the Pennzoil synchromesh fluid.

The 100 degree C viscosity of the Amsoil 'gear lube' is 13.9 cSt, while the synchromesh is 9.7 cSt... that's the part that worries me a little. I have no idea if that difference will ruin the trans, but it sure seems that if a lighter weight fluid improved cold performance without some other trade-off, that's what they would have called for.

But you are making me think that perhaps I'll switch to a synchromesh fluid for the winter, and then go back to the gear lube for the summer. I track my car in the summer, so I'm replacing fluid yearly anyways just to be safe, but I also want the thickest hot-fluid I can get for track days. Might be worth the $30 or so every winter if it helps cold performance. It's really easy to drain and fill on these cars.

'12 GS, Quicksilver, 6MT, Nav, Sunroof, 19's, Trifecta tune, backup camera mod., LED DRLs in bumper vents, Wavetrac LSD, Sachs Performance Clutch upgrade, Werks shorty downpipe.

I agree with you, and have been doing exactly that...changing back to 'full strength" for the summer months!

Mine seems to be in the shifter, not tranny. Checking all-data, uses a piston type setup with shafts attached to the shifter itself. Sometime there is some resistance and kind of squeak type noise, sometimes not. Not the end of the world so will see what happens.

I have experienced the same resistance, but like others it was usually first thing on a very cold morning. I found that when this was happening, I would sit with the clutch in and just rapidly shift 1st to 2nd and back to 1st a few times and it would seem to get rid of that resistance. Since it only happened when cold and would go away by working it back and forth a bit, I chalked it up to either something being frozen or cold, like bushings shrinking, fluid being more viscous, something like that.

The only consistent resistance I feel is the 1st gear detent, where it won't let you shift into 1st above certain speeds. I find this annoying - I know it's there as a protection against accidentally shifting into 1st at high speed, but when I'm rolling slowly up to a stop light in traffic, sometimes I have to slow down more than I'd like to get into 1st, or just chug in 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt G View Post
    The synchromesh stuff is quite a bit thinner than what our transmissions come with, so it's not too surprising that cold performance was better, but I'd be a little bit worried about protection under high load once everything is hot.

I'm running the Amsoil gear lube (direct replacement for the BOT stuff), and I didn't get any cold transmission improvement. But I bet the Amsoil 'synchromesh' stuff would offer the same improvement you got with the Pennzoil synchromesh fluid.

The 100 degree C viscosity of the Amsoil 'gear lube' is 13.9 cSt, while the synchromesh is 9.7 cSt... that's the part that worries me a little. I have no idea if that difference will ruin the trans, but it sure seems that if a lighter weight fluid improved cold performance without some other trade-off, that's what they would have called for.

But you are making me think that perhaps I'll switch to a synchromesh fluid for the winter, and then go back to the gear lube for the summer. I track my car in the summer, so I'm replacing fluid yearly anyways just to be safe, but I also want the thickest hot-fluid I can get for track days. Might be worth the $30 or so every winter if it helps cold performance. It's really easy to drain and fill on these cars.
    Is the Amsoil gear lube you're using the 75W90 Long Life Synthetic, 80W90 Synthetic, or 75W90 Severe Gear? Or is it the Manual Transmission & Transaxle Gear Lube 75W90? Just looking at their products and wondering if there's much difference between any of them?

Walt G is offline Full Member My Buick(s): '12 Regal GS

Remove this ad
    The Amsoil stuff I'm using is called "Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube, 75W-90".

Seemed the closest to the BOT stuff the car came with, and it works pretty much the same. I use it at this point just because I can get it easier than the BOT, and I change mine yearly since I track the car and put in the LSD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information