Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | 2018 Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: Test Drive
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test Drive

Jerome is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2017 Acadia Denali, 2014 Verano Leather, 2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T

Test Drive

Swung by the local dealer yesterday and they had a Silver Premium I on the lot. We took it for a test drive. Initial impression was that it is very nice. Quiet ride, good power delivery from the engine, nice features. There were a few spots where I questioned items, for one, the rear seat release handles in the cargo area were strange, also I'm not sure about what the trim is supposed to even look like. Overall I really liked it though.

Re: Test Drive

Thank you for this quick review, Jerome! The Envision is a really nice SUV. I'm expecting to see a great many on the road. What about the trim are you confused about? Here are a couple of pictures for reference. How's the leather? Does it feel high quality? Soft?

More great pictures are here:
    https://www.netcarshow.com/buick/2016-envision/

Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Buick: The New Class of World Class - Luxury As It Should Be...

Please help us keep BuickForums.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

Get your next Buick for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

mnmjackson is offline Junior Member My Buick(s): 2015 Buick Encore Leather

Thanks for the review. I have only seen a small bit of information about the Envision, and this is the standard stuff from Buick. I am interested in the size of the vehicle and how it compares to the Encore. I drive an Encore now, but it is just a bit too small for our needs. I was hoping the Envision would be the size we need, between the Encore and the Enclave. Has anyone seen a list of dimensions, for example?

Granted I have a year or so before I have to get another vehicle, but I am wondering if I should continue to look at the Envision during this time or go back to Cadillac and look at the XT5. I have seen no Envisions at my local Buick dealer, or I would have scoped this out myself!

Mike

If I'm not mistaken the Envision is much closer in size with the Cadillac XT5 than the Buick Encore. I'd definitely keep the Envision on your shopping list...

Jerome is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2017 Acadia Denali, 2014 Verano Leather, 2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T

The Envision is quite a bit bigger than the Encore. Here are the dimensions:
    Envision Encore Edge XT5
    Maximum Seating 5 5 5 5
    Front Head Room 40 in. 39.6 40 38.4
    Rear Head Room 38.5 in. 38.8 39.3 36
    Front Leg Room 40.9 in. 40.8 40.7 41.2
    Rear Leg Room 37.5 in. 35.8 39.6 39.5
    Front Shoulder Room 57 in. 54.2 58.9 58.3
    Rear Shoulder Room 55.8 in. 52.6 58.7 56.2
    Front Hip Room 54.4 in. 51.7 54.8 56
    Rear Hip Room 53.1 in. 50.1 56.1 54.7
    Wheelbase 107.9 in. 100.6 112.2 112.5
    Length 183.7 in. 168.4 188.1 189.5
    Width 72.4 in. 69.9 75.9 75
    Cargo Area 26.9 ft3 18.8 39.2 30

Sal, the leather felt good, the carpet also seemed thick and nice. I'm not sure what the trim was supposed to look like. It wasn't made to look like wood, my wife described it as "Zebra"
    2016-buick-envision-interior-2016-new-york-international-auto-show-live-005.jpg

The 3 Buick dealers close to me all seem to have Envisions in stock. The salesman said they had just come in this week though. I'm sure they will start showing up at more dealers.
    Last edited by Jerome; June 3rd, 2016 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Can't get spacing on dimensions right

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    The Envision is quite a bit bigger than the Encore. Here are the dimensions:
    Envision Encore Edge XT5
    Maximum Seating 5 5 5 5
    Front Head Room 40 in. 39.6 40 38.4
    Rear Head Room 38.5 in. 38.8 39.3 36
    Front Leg Room 40.9 in. 40.8 40.7 41.2
    Rear Leg Room 37.5 in. 35.8 39.6 39.5
    Front Shoulder Room 57 in. 54.2 58.9 58.3
    Rear Shoulder Room 55.8 in. 52.6 58.7 56.2
    Front Hip Room 54.4 in. 51.7 54.8 56
    Rear Hip Room 53.1 in. 50.1 56.1 54.7
    Wheelbase 107.9 in. 100.6 112.2 112.5
    Length 183.7 in. 168.4 188.1 189.5
    Width 72.4 in. 69.9 75.9 75
    Cargo Area 26.9 ft3 18.8 39.2 30

Sal, the leather felt good, the carpet also seemed thick and nice. I'm not sure what the trim was supposed to look like. It wasn't made to look like wood, my wife described it as "Zebra"
    2016-buick-envision-interior-2016-new-york-international-auto-show-live-005.jpg

The 3 Buick dealers close to me all seem to have Envisions in stock. The salesman said they had just come in this week though. I'm sure they will start showing up at more dealers.
    Thank you! Wow, that "Zebra" trim is pretty eye-catching... I like it. Very unique... I look forward to seeing my first Envision on the road!

mnmjackson is offline Junior Member My Buick(s): 2015 Buick Encore Leather

Thanks, Sal and Jerome. I will definitely look at the Envision. It sounds like a perfect size.

Does anyone else think that the hard grained surface on the right dash front looks strange? Most luxury cars have soft touch dash material in that area. About the only things I am unsure of about this nice car are the grained area and the price.

Quote Originally Posted by desertpar View Post
    Does anyone else think that the hard grained surface on the right dash front looks strange? Most luxury cars have soft touch dash material in that area. About the only things I am unsure of about this nice car are the grained area and the price.
    Are you sure that hard grained surface isn't actually soft touch material? I can't tell by looking...

Good question. I saw one through the side window and it looked like a hard surface but I will sit in one and take a closer look (and feel) and report back.

Good question. I saw one through the side window and it looked like a hard surface but I will sit in one and take a closer look (and feel) and report back.
    That would be awesome! I'll be very surprised if it's cheap hard plastic...

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    That would be awesome! I'll be very surprised if it's cheap hard plastic...
    My wife and I visited the dealer and checked out the entire car. Overall very nice vehicle. It was a black premium 1 with neutral and black interior. The dash front above the glove box is a hard grained shiny surface. I would guess that it is some type of plastic or polymer, and looked a little better than I had envisioned (no pun intended), but reflected the light quite a bit. The seats were quite comfortable and the overall layout was very nice with a high level of equipment. I also liked the fact that the 19" tires were not run-flat. We didn't drive it since we don't plan to buy or lease a vehicle until our Cadillac CTS lease expires in a few months. We previously had a Cadillac ATS with the same 2.0 turbo and were very satisfied with the performance. We will probably keep this vehicle on our short list of vehicles to consider along with the Cadillac XT-5 (I didn't like the hard flat seats in the XT-5 Luxury), and another ATS. I will need to overcome the price (it looks like they are offering some good lease deals already), dash, and 6 speed transmission in the Envision but it is a nice size and otherwise very nice and well equipped.

My wife and I visited the dealer and checked out the entire car. Overall very nice vehicle. It was a black premium 1 with neutral and black interior. The dash front above the glove box is a hard grained shiny surface. I would guess that it is some type of plastic or polymer, and looked a little better than I had envisioned (no pun intended), but reflected the light quite a bit. The seats were quite comfortable and the overall layout was very nice with a high level of equipment. I also liked the fact that the 19" tires were not run-flat. We didn't drive it since we don't plan to buy or lease a vehicle until our Cadillac CTS lease expires in a few months. We previously had a Cadillac ATS with the same 2.0 turbo and were very satisfied with the performance. We will probably keep this vehicle on our short list of vehicles to consider along with the Cadillac XT-5 (I didn't like the hard flat seats in the XT-5 Luxury), and another ATS. I will need to overcome the price (it looks like they are offering some good lease deals already), dash, and 6 speed transmission in the Envision but it is a nice size and otherwise very nice and well equipped.
    Thank you very much for the review and input! It's such a shame that Cadillac is chasing German-car loving buyers with those hard, flat seats in the XT5 "luxury". What the HECK are they thinking? But it sounds like the Envision is a very nice luxury crossover SUV...

SteveT2016 is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2016 Envision Premium ll

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    Are you sure that hard grained surface isn't actually soft touch material? I can't tell by looking...
    I just bought a Premium ll in Saffron Red with Ebony interior. The grained surface is plastic. In the right conditions the sun reflects off it in not a good way. So far we've had some battles getting things setup, such as the Homelink for the garage door. The owners manual instructions are not complete - we had to use the instructions from our Toyota to get the link established. The memory seat function has a mind of it's own and does not have a way to erase and retry. As things come up I'll keep you posted. By the way, we did not know at the time of purchase this vehicle has the engine stop start "feature". We specifically told the dealer we didn't buy another car (Cadillac XT5) because of this. Not a peep from the dealer. On the day of our test drive it was near 100 degrees and because of the way stop start works with in conjunction with the air conditioning, it never came into play. Personally I hate that feature, but with judicious braking I can fool it about 80% of the time.

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT2016 View Post
    I just bought a Premium ll in Saffron Red with Ebony interior. The grained surface is plastic. In the right conditions the sun reflects off it in not a good way. So far we've had some battles getting things setup, such as the Homelink for the garage door. The owners manual instructions are not complete - we had to use the instructions from our Toyota to get the link established. The memory seat function has a mind of it's own and does not have a way to erase and retry. As things come up I'll keep you posted. By the way, we did not know at the time of purchase this vehicle has the engine stop start "feature". We specifically told the dealer we didn't buy another car (Cadillac XT5) because of this. Not a peep from the dealer. On the day of our test drive it was near 100 degrees and because of the way stop start works with in conjunction with the air conditioning, it never came into play. Personally I hate that feature, but with judicious braking I can fool it about 80% of the time.
    Thank you very much for the in-depth review, Steve. It's a shame about that hard plastic surface. I really don't think a Buick should have that - but I guess we can't have everything. It sounds like there are a few issues with this first year vehicle - which isn't all that surprising. I really don't like - I'm disappointed - that the dealer was so desperate to sell a vehicle that they let you buy the Envision with start/stop technology after you specifically stated you DID NOT purchase the Cadillac XT5 because of that very feature. And I do understand where you're coming from in regards to air conditioning and how it works on hot days with this feature. Is there no way to turn it off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information