Sign up to remove ads. We'd love to have you amongst our ranks! Just click the Register button below!

buick forums  
The Premier Community for Buick Owners and Enthusiasts

Join us! It's free!

buick forums

Past Lineup: Lucerne | Roadmaster | Regal (Old) | LeSabre | Century | Park Avenue | Riviera | Reatta | Grand National
Current Lineup: Cascada | Verano | LaCrosse | Regal | Enclave | Envision | Encore
Buick Forum: First Road Trip in the Cascada
    DLC is offline Full Member My Buick(s): Buick Cascada

First Road Trip in the Cascada

Wife and I took or first road trip over Memorial Day weekend. We live East of Pittsburgh, and drove North of Chicago - almost in Wisconsin - about 550 miles each way. First - packing the car. I was a little surprised that the trunk held both of our medium sized suitcases with the top down and still had room for presents and all the other junk my wife packs. We also put the seats down and put a cooler with drinks and one side and one with snacks on the other and was still able to put the wind screen in the back. We left around 7:00 pm, top down. The car handled great, you can barely feel the transmission shifting, steering was good as was braking. It definitely has some pep to it, before I purchased my car I was a little apprehensive about the engine being 4 cylinder and fearing it wouldn't really do well in the mountains of PA, but no worries about that, it has more than enough get up and go. I'd say the best thing about the driving experience is how solid the car feels on the road, it doesn't bounce around at all, just feels like a truly solid ride. On the return trip we went through a few Thunderstorms -windy - you could see other cars and trucks being buffeted around by the wind, we felt none of that. I played around with the lane departure warning and front collision alerts - my only suggestion - the audible alerts should be louder - a little beep doesn't really do much - especially with the top down. I will admit I had to put the cruise control on after finding myself going over 90 (more than once) while it felt like I was still going around 65. The car just has such a solid and easy drive to it you have to watch yourself. Night Driving - I thought the headlights were great - didn't really notice much of a difference with the driving/fog lights on or off. I do love the extra light in turning corners though, that helps a lot. Things I think need improving - biggest complaint would be the seats - the backs are good, but the bottom of the seat is hard and after 8 hours in the car - it's really hard! The wind screen doesn't really do much, I didn't notice much of a difference with it up or down. Also, with the top down I notice much more wind hitting me than my Sebring. And I still wish the car had blind spot monitoring!!!! On the trip and out back I averaged 26.9 MPG each way. Average speed including getting from the house to the turnpike and all the stops was 65 MPH. Overall, I was extremely happy. It's definitely a fun car to drive and I'm really happy with how it handles. At several rest stops people would come up and say - "Wow, the commercials are true, it really doesn't look like a Buick!!!" And everyone like it.

Re: First Road Trip in the Cascada

Glad you're enjoying it! Sounds like a great trip.We'll be taking mine to my moms in Va. next month

Benzadmiral is offline Full Member My Buick(s): 2011 Buick Regal CXL, 2.4L

Two hundred horses proved fine for driving in the Colorado mountains years ago with my Mercedes S-Class sedan -- and you lose some power going above 5000 feet, plus the sedan was a heavier beast than the Buick. So I'm not surprised that the Cascada's 4-cylinder proved up to the task of handling mountains at lower elevations. I'm glad you had a good trip!

-- Paul W. (The Benzadmiral)
    ('11 Buick Regal CXL, charcoal/cream, 2.4L)
    My Man from U.N.C.L.E. Blog: http://benzadmiral-uncle.blogspot.com/

Thank you for the review! I'm glad to see you're loving the Cascada...

Have an iPhone or Android? Then you can be connected with everything automotive in your area.
    Download the Cars Connected app for your iPhone or Android device today!

Buick: The New Class of World Class - Luxury As It Should Be...

Please help us keep BuickForums.com online. Become a Site Supporter today. You'll get more than a "thank you" in return.

Get your next Buick for the lowest price possible! Go to TrueCar.com first!

Grand Canyon and Back mileage

Grand Canyon tour and Mileage
    Took a trip from near Charlottesville, Virginia via I-40 (rte 66) to the South rim, then went to the North Rim, to I-70 via Bryce canyon, arches, capitol reef and to Moab. To St'Louis and I 64 through the mountains back to c-ville. 0-59 mph averages: 1544 total miles .. 28.84 mpg .. average speed was 50.87.
    at 60 - 85mph (yes Utah has 80 mph interstates) 3633 total miles .. 28.89 mpg .. 65.85 mph
    this was also using gas with octane of 85-88 most places out west, didn't seem to make a difference as we motored on never heard a ping and we passed cars with no problems on the back roads.
    the highest was 31.3 mpg in Arizona and the low was 25.9 mpg fighting Nashville rush hour traffic. Great ride, made lots of wonderful memories, a great car for touring and just driving. the picture is a view point on the north rim.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cal258; June 30th, 2016 at 09:04 AM.

Re: Grand Canyon and Back mileage

Remove this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by cal258 View Post
    Grand Canyon tour and Mileage
    Took a trip from near Charlottesville, Virginia via I-40 (rte 66) to the South rim, then went to the North Rim, to I-70 via Bryce canyon, arches, capitol reef and to Moab. To St'Louis and I 64 through the mountains back to c-ville. 0-59 mph averages: 1544 total miles .. 28.84 mpg .. average speed was 50.87.
    at 60 - 85mph (yes Utah has 80 mph interstates) 3633 total miles .. 28.89 mpg .. 65.85 mph
    this was also using gas with octane of 85-88 most places out west, didn't seem to make a difference as we motored on never heard a ping and we passed cars with no problems on the back roads.
    the highest was 31.3 mpg in Arizona and the low was 25.9 mpg fighting Nashville rush hour traffic. Great ride, made lots of wonderful memories, a great car for touring and just driving. the picture is a view point on the north rim.
    Thank you for the review! Your Cascada looks awesome!

Thread Information